Drawers & Sleeping Platform thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I make it a point to not comment on other “competing” products, but that system first posted just screams junk. Drifta, ARB, KISS, and ADGU all seem like options that are priced correctly for the product. There is something for everyone, but I’d stay away from that IKEA stuff.

We also make sleeping setups for the 200 and 4Runner, and could do the 100 with enough interest.

Happy with this simple set up. Third row delete with platform (whose platform? Can't remember). I lined the platform plywood with marine edging to protect. Heavy duty store bins - no lids - fit perfect under. I can put a modified queen 4" mattress topper inside it in 5 or 6 minutes and sleep nicely. I pull a small box trailer on long trips.

IMG_20200822_093730.jpg

Happy with this simple set up. Third row delete with platform (whose platform? Can't remember). I lined the platform plywood with marine edging to protect. Heavy duty store bins - no lids - fit perfect under. I can put a modified queen 4" mattress topper inside it in 5 or 6 minutes and sleep nicely. I pull a small box trailer on long trips.

View attachment 2412326
That's an SS1 from Air Down Gear Up. Looks like an early system since you don't have the tie down ramps. If you want a set, let me know. They create a little mound around the D-rings to keep them from snagging on equipment and eliminate any rattling when not loaded. Happy to ship a set out on the house.

That's an SS1 from Air Down Gear Up. Looks like an early system since you don't have the tie down ramps. If you want a set, let me know. They create a little mound around the D-rings to keep them from snagging on equipment and eliminate any rattling when not loaded. Happy to ship a set out on the house.
Thanks - happy to pay for them! I'll PM you. Hey, just realized I bought a key fob from you, great build! Even get a few compliments on it now and then. Well loved as you can see.

IMG_20200822_102429.jpg

Last edited:
Only issues, albeit minor, w/this platform system is 1) thicker plywood would've been better...got warpage on the smaller folding section, and 2) getting some minor corrosion on the piano hinges...might eventually clean up and spray, or replace w/SS...we'll see.

I used a similar system on my last camping trip. Plastic milk crates under a piece of plywood gets to the perfect height to match up with the folded seat backs.

Thanks - happy to pay for them! I'll PM you. Hey, just realized I bought a key fob from you, great build! Even get a few compliments on it now and then. Well loved as you can see.

View attachment 2412361

Nice! Yes, that's very well loved. I use better coatings now (Cerakote) so let me know if you want to refresh that with a more durable shell. The new stuff should last 5-10x longer.
Only issues, albeit minor, w/this platform system is 1) thicker plywood would've been better...got warpage on the smaller folding section, and 2) getting some minor corrosion on the piano hinges...might eventually clean up and spray, or replace w/SS...we'll see.
1. We had one of our prototypes do that after some moisture exposure and summer heat. If it gets bad enough to be annoying or troublesome, let us know. We can replace a panel or try out some HDPE. The HDPE might be perfect for that panel in a high humidity environment.
2. We've got a few options there, PM incoming.

In fairness, this rig (and the platform) spends 4-6 weeks a year in the John Day River area of Eastern OR. It was 99 deg/20% humidity out there last wk. Contrast with it parked the rest of the year in Portland area, with cool temps/high humidity... tough on plywoods.

tie down ramps, do you have a picture, would like to add some d-rings to my diy drawers

I'm planning on getting ARB drawers and will get the right mattress.

BUT, saw this. Looks like junk though it is made in Germany. It straps down (not good for off-roading in my experience). I surely wouldn't pay that much...

Flatbox kit turns the Toyota Land Cruiser into an overland camper

Anybody?
never understood people wanting to cook directly on the tailgate, maybe boil water, but frying a burger or making bacon? make you car a bear magnet

heres my diy

IMG_0191.jpg

tie down ramps, do you have a picture, would like to add some d-rings to my diy drawers
Chopped Carbon Fiber in Nylon, printed on YotaMD's in house 3D printer. Ramps keep it snag free and the snap-in ring holder eliminate any rattles.

1598120468062.png

1598120482986.png

Last edited:
LandShark Outfitters drawers + double mattress + comforter + pillows = Home

Friendly FYI that the fabulous KISS drawers have been replaced by the even more modular, expandable Reef system. Still the perfect height to sleep on folded rear seats, or go all-in and delete your 2nd row and install Seabed which I'll start shipping in a couple weeks. Website is in a bit of a state as I am moving to a new ordering queue as demand has been off the charts, so there's the weakness in my suggestion: it may be a while to get a set shipped to you. But bang for buck I think it's the best system on the market ;)

I'm biased here, but I think the SS1 from Air Down Gear Up is the best sleeper/drawer system out there. It's very modular and can range from simple and affordable up to top tier. Our drawers are lock in, lock out and 100% extension - something you don't find in any other product in our price category.

We also offer fast shipping. We just shipped a same day order yesterday that will arrive tomorrow. As order volumes have increased this year, we're now pre-packaging the popular kits so they're ready for immediate shipment on time sensitive orders. We try to keep ahead of demand so we often have kits in stock and ready. Let me or @Kyle Bell know if you have any questions!

View attachment 2410376
View attachment 2410378

ordered!!

Chopped Carbon Fiber in Nylon, printed on YotaMD's in house 3D printer. Ramps keep it snag free and the snap-in ring holder eliminate any rattles.

View attachment 2412427
View attachment 2412428

I just installed this system. It is really well built and am very happy with the end result.

5/5 stars, I highly recommend.

Build your own. It’s a great coronavirus project.

As far as a mattress to go on top of any system, you should look at the Exped Megamat Duo. It breaks down to a 2ftx1ft pack, and fits like a glove for the back of the 100 series. It’s a foam-core mattress so I can kneel on it and my knees won’t touch the ground. Wife, dog, and I all approve.

6B806D23-B42A-4E59-AE46-6ECFE6E13929.jpeg

FF9FBC00-CD6B-4E14-8CE8-386AF7B422EC.jpeg

B4E1FA6A-04B0-4BB1-93FD-A79974F4CBC5.jpeg

As far as a mattress to go on top of any system, you should look at the Exped Megamat Duo. It breaks down to a 2ftx1ft pack, and fits like a glove for the back of the 100 series. It’s a foam-core mattress so I can kneel on it and my knees won’t touch the ground. Wife, dog, and I all approve.

View attachment 2420322

View attachment 2420332

View attachment 2420334
Just want to chime in and say that I've been brainstorming building my own for a while now and yours is the one I like the most and am using as a guide. Just trying to decide my drawer setup and what makes most sense for me. Thanks for the additional photos, I hadn't seen you post the bottom two before. Cute dog!

View attachment 2420322

View attachment 2420332

View attachment 2420334
These look great I recall seeing em earlier. What material /color did you use to finish them? I ordered a set of kiss I don't have the skills to handle making drawers. Nice work!

Just want to chime in and say that I've been brainstorming building my own for a while now and yours is the one I like the most and am using as a guide. Just trying to decide my drawer setup and what makes most sense for me. Thanks for the additional photos, I hadn't seen you post the bottom two before. Cute dog!
THanks!

These look great I recall seeing em earlier. What material /color did you use to finish them? I ordered a set of kiss I don't have the skills to handle making drawers. Nice work!

I used monstaliner, medium quartz grey. I am pretty happy with it. It was kind of spendy for a do it yourself deal, and 1 gallon was too much but 1 quart wouldn’t have been enough. I’ve scratched it up a bit with day to day use and it is a little slippery. I like the color and feel, I am planning to put some rubber ish matting on top to keep stuff from slipping around.

you can order custom drawers at a number of places, drawerdepot.com in what ever size you want, then just make the cabinet. I have since covered this with carpet.
IMG_0191.jpg

Added some non-slip so my dog wouldn’t fly around. My buddy soon after ordered the same system for his 200. Really great product. I wish I could have bundled a Yota key holder.

A8186948-04C5-45C5-B62B-6AA397A93986.jpeg

SS1 Kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom