Draw-tite 75095 and LX470... grrrrrrrr.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK.. just spent two quality hours in the garage doing a 20-minute installation. Chose the Draw-tite reviews based on great reviews, capacity, quality, price (compared to OEM lexus frame hitch), and supposed ease of installation.

Issues..

1. Hitch does not clear spare tire. Either have to remove the tire or almost completely deflate it. Once the hitch is installed and the tire is reinflated, the tire is wedged in so tightly that you'd never get it out when you need it.
2. Receptacle for trailer wiring plug and bracket have to removed and relocated or severely modified.
3. The front most mounting hole on the drivers side (the hole that is not where the tow hook and tiedown brackets are) does not line up with my frame weldnut. Grinding the hitch mounting hole larger will be necessary.. waiting to hear from Draw-tite before I do that.

Sooo.. a little bugged. "Fits LX470" should mean "fits LX470".. not, "Fits LX470 if you modify both the hitch and the LX470."

Unrelated to the Draw-tite, the hole mentioned in item #3 above was a PITA anyway... the weldnut up in the frame didn't line up with the hole in the part of the frame that wrapped over it, and I had to grind that first before even beginning hitch installation.

end of rant. Suggestions and tips MORE than welcome and appreciated.

That's a real bummer man. I recently installed a draw tite on my lx only problem I had (that was advertised as such) was the small bumper bracket no longer fits and bumper is a little loose, im clearing a 33" spare with no issues or mods. What year is your cruiser?

Our LX470 is an '05. The bumper/fascia support bracket is removed as part of the installation according to the instructions that came with the hitch, then the fascia (plastic bumper covering) is reattached w/ the same hardware sans bracket. That part was easy. I'll drop the tire today or tomorrow and see if it can be shifted forward 1/2" or so...that's really all that's needed I hope spare-tire-wise. Would love to see a pic of how others have modified/bent the wiring receptacle bracket... ?

I had the same issue when installing mine with the weld nut not lined up in the frame. Seems very un-Toyota. I was only towing a bbq trailer that didn't weigh that much so I haven't worried about it yet but eventually I'm gonna have to uninstall it and get the weld nut to line up somehow.

I used a Dremel w/ grinding bit to ovalize (yeah, it's a new word) the access hole to the weld nut. Took about 20 minutes. Good news is that the steel in the frame is quite hard. Will now have to do the same thing to the hole in the hitch, I guess. It's about 1/4" off. How did you deal w/ the receptacle bracket?

Dont know about the other issues, but the rear weldnuts on our 100s are notorious for being installed wrong. I also had to modify mine to get anything to bolt up. I know this doesnt help you now, but may help others in the future before getting into the install.

I went through similar issues with my Reese hitch. I was able get my tire to fit (275/75/18) but I did have to relocate the wiring plug. Basically I soldered an 8" extension to the length of the wire bundle, cut an ear off of the mounting bracket, added one hole and mounted it closer to the bumper. I also ran the wires over the top of the hitch for a cleaner look.

I also had one of my weld nuts break off. I used the fish wire that was sent with the kit and fished a second bolt into the frame.

Hope this helps

8B61CB74-A6AB-490E-BC45-06579E19C86D.jpeg

089637E5-0F0E-4EB1-BD65-2FE400853B61.jpeg

38AA81C9-5CB5-43F9-8561-EA8D84A8FBB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, @SICARIO ! Unfortunately, I didn't see it until after spending another hour or two out in the garage today, doing almost exactly everything you described and pictured. I've attached some pics of what I ended up doing. I didn't alter the wiring receptacle bracket other than to drill an extra hole in it, which allowed me to relocate the bracket back further towards the bumper as you did it. I had JUST enough wire in the receptacle pigtail to snake it over the top of the hitch (had to drop the hitch again to get it over the hitch, but that didn't take long) and back to the original harness plug, so I didn't end up having to solder in any more wire. Dropping the spare and re-lifting it just a bit further forward was no issue... I shouldn't have worried about that. The weldnut required some care; the threads were pretty corroded, and the largest tap I have on hand is an M12.. this is an M14 bolt/nut. Local hardware store didn't have one either, so I VERY carefully kept threading the bolt in w/ cutting oil and PBlaster until I felt a good amount of resistance, backed it out, cleaned the threads, and repeated... about 20 times. Each time I got another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn further in, and eventually it all went in and held beautifully. If I had just horsed on it, I probably would have broken it off, too. REALLY glad that didn't happen.

The attached pics show, in no particular order, the bracket held up against the installed hitch where it USED to fit, the ovalized hole in the hitch I had to grind (along with another misaligned weldnut in the frame right next to it... the one under the hitch was just as bad, and that needed a lot of grinding, too), the receptacle ziptied in it's original alternate location next to the bracket showing how it won't fit anymore, and the final installation. All in all, I'm NOW pretty happy with everything, but still bugged that Draw-tite thinks "fits LX470" means "if you do a lot of extra work, alter the hitch, and alter the vehicle, you can probably get it to fit, look OK, and work well."

Thanks for the help, all.
BrackFinal.jpg
BrackNoFIt.jpg
installed.jpg
Ovalize.jpg
ZipBrack.jpg

Quick follow up.. just got back from an overnight out-n-back furniture grab run of 650 total miles or so towing a small enclosed 4x8 trailer. Worked great. Glad to have ANOTHER way to get even more out of the truck. And... the tongue, ball, and hitch pin fit great in one of the Chumbucket storage bags from Dave @ Land Shark of KISS drawer fame.

Quick follow up.. just got back from an overnight out-n-back furniture grab run of 650 total miles or so towing a small enclosed 4x8 trailer. Worked great. Glad to have ANOTHER way to get even more out of the truck. And... the tongue, ball, and hitch pin fit great in one of the Chumbucket storage bags from Dave @ Land Shark of KISS drawer fame.
Nevermind, I think I see that you drilled an extra bolt hole in the bracket and have the bracket mounted with only one bolt, which is totally fine with me!! Thanks guys for all of this! Definitely saved me from throwing a wrench or two, ha ha!

Last edited:
Great thread- I had all the same issues with the Draw-Tite. I removed the bumper support bracket as the instructions say. But after hitch install, it seems like there could still be room had I left it on. Has anyone checked to see if it fits, contrary to instructions? I hate to remove it if I don’t have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom