Drain and Fill ATF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of a write up on how to do this?

Looked in the FAQ and found the fluid exchange write up and lookin around here, I see the bucket method that many have done as well. Trying to be conservative and do the drain and fill every other oil change.

Thanks.

Step 1. Remove drain plug, let drain, and then reinstall.
Step 2. Put in new Syn ATF. I forget how much to add.

that easy? not doing synth atf yet. got the cheaper chevron stuff from costco.

what watchouts are there?
keep the truck level?
i think for the bucket method, i think you had to change gears during the process. any steps im missing other than what you listed above. sorry, just trying to make sure i dont mess anything up.

I would warm it up and then let it settle back down. I also do it every oil change if you dont have records or know when it was done last.
You need a funnel with a small end to put in the dip stick tube. It will bubble up at you as the air tries to escape. Can run a small air tube or pull the funnel up just a bit so air can escape, that is the hardest part.
You can get a bucket with a measuring line so you know how much to add. I checked my notes, 4qts for the refill.
Once done check it while running in park.

Last edited:
It's a really simple drain and fill.
Pull drain plug, drain fluid.
Replace drain plug, fill through dipstick tube with a long skinny funnel.
I put back in something between 4 and 5 quarts.

I would warm it up and then let it settle back down.

Can run a small air tube or pull the funnel up just a bit so air can escape, that is the hardest part.

Once done check it while running in park.

Had a couple of questions on the above, so should I go drive around and they try to drain? Not sure how long to let it settle.

With the air bubbling up, basically its just a waiting game of pouring it slowly and then stop and the start again?

And once done, do I check the dipstick for fluid level?

I just went to go look at the dipstick now. Looks like there are 4 notches. I'm assuming 2 shows the level it should be in between when cool, and another two when hot? Not sure if that assumption is correct. Right
not, its hasn't been run since yesterday and the fluid level is above the Hot level. Did the previous owner put too much in?

It's a really simple drain and fill.
Pull drain plug, drain fluid.
Replace drain plug, fill through dipstick tube with a long skinny funnel.
I put back in something between 4 and 5 quarts.

Thanks Ryan. Good to hear from both of you guys that there is little potential for me to mess up if its that easy.

I have done this with my LS400, I am on my second drain and fill.

Just follow much of the same precautions as when you are changing the oil...

Ensure the plug threads properly into the pan, make sure you replace the same quantity of fluid that drains out, and monitor for leaks in the upcoming days.

I am also going to replace the gasket around the drain plug after the final cycle, once the project is complete.

There are some calculations online that show how many drain and fill cycles you'll need to effectively replace most of the fluid. But of course, with this method you will never get to 100% fresh fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom