Door mirror help….. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
My driver and passenger door mirrors are powered, when the button to extend and retract is pushed, the mirrors extend just fine but will not move at all during retraction. I have taken the drivers mirror apart to see if something could be investigated.
The small motor you see in the picture has a worm type gear. The motor spindle itself does not have a flat spot for the gear to sit and prevent the spindle from just spinning inside the gear itself. The gear is cracked a little along the seam mold. I engaged the actuation sequence pressing the button while everything was apart to see if anything was happening. The small gear would just pop off the motor spindle. Not sure if this small gear is real culprit however. Everything works just fine during extension. During retraction, the motor just runs and nothing happens. Why would it work fine in one direction but not the other? Looking for input and any help before I put everything back together. I couldn’t find any separate parts to replace, it looks like the whole unit has to be replaced. I tried Partsouq, nope, I tried some other places as well only to find it’s all discontinued. Amayama might be an option IF they have the whole assembly in stock. ($550-600 for 2 whole units including shipping)
Any and all input would be much appreciated before I reassemble everything.

B92CD3ED-1EFB-4E5C-935F-337890FEE402.jpeg

166C3F40-D132-4ECD-900C-B33ACC32AFAE.jpeg

0B43AF70-358E-4180-A05A-DD17652F1427.jpeg

ECC71CAF-C5F8-4F8E-9F1A-C7B6780FDD1B.jpeg

14AE0818-D91E-45DC-993D-2DB0EA4F561C.jpeg

US spec FZJ80's did not get retractable (motorized) mirrors like your HDj81 (?JDM), maybe try the Diesel Forum for more help??

Never seen the retracting mirrors in person, but i have heard they're notoriously fragile and prone to breaking. Pretty sure there are some threads buried on the forums about people's adventures repairing them if you do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom