Door Lock Cylinder For BJ74? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some **** decided it would be fun to punch my passenger door lock on my BJ74 last night and steal some change and my work keys (bastard even stole a chocolate bar in the glove box, that one hurts the most). Anyways, Toyota no longer has locks or the cylinders available so I'm left to search for a used replacement. Does the lock need to be from a 70 series truck or would a 60 series lock fit as well? Does anyone know of a source for some used cylinders or locks?

I don't really care that the new lock would need a different key since I never use the key in that side of the truck anyways or maybe I should just get a small steel plate welded over the hole and forget about having a lock on that side at all.....

Canuck said:
Some **** decided

I love good old Canadian sayings they make me laught.

What is Scookum, some BC saying.

odd they wouldn't have the newer lock cylinders, I bought one for early fj40 doors not long ago....was even cheap if you can believe that.

cheers,
ryan

I hate/love to break it to you, but those cylinders are among the most common that Toyoata ever made.

I got a new cylinder for my BJ70 (yes the 74's are the same) out of a wrecked Corolla. ANY Toyota vintage (Camry, Corolla, Cressida, Supra, Van, Celica) 1982-ish to 1992-ish will have the same cylinders, with the exception being the early Tercels (plactic moulded handles and locks).

The wreckers are loaded with them, just find one with the key still in the ignition.

By the way, any door hinges off of the same vintage vehicles are the same as the LC ones too. If your door sag, pick up a set.

HTH,
Craig.

lumpy70 said:
I hate/love to break it to you, but those cylinders are among the most common that Toyoata ever made.

I got a new cylinder for my BJ70 (yes the 74's are the same) out of a wrecked Corolla. ANY Toyota vintage (Camry, Corolla, Cressida, Supra, Van, Celica) 1982-ish to 1992-ish will have the same cylinders, with the exception being the early Tercels (plactic moulded handles and locks).

The wreckers are loaded with them, just find one with the key still in the ignition.

By the way, any door hinges off of the same vintage vehicles are the same as the LC ones too. If your door sag, pick up a set.

HTH,
Craig.

Did the cylinder you took out of the Corolla come with the chrome surround ring that sits flush to the sheet metal on the outside of the door? Yeah they destroyed that too... I tried Ens but there is no stock in NA so I may have to hit up some of the local wreckers.

Dropped by and talked to Steven at EBI and he hooked me up with a 60 series lock. Swaped out the piece that sits on the end of the tumbler with the 74 piece and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again Steven! :beer:

I also had my 74 broken into .............the local lock guy crossed the cylinder over to '67 chevy.It is exactley the same.

Cheers Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom