Don't hate me: "Best" model & year MT Tacoma for... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
(cross posted from the 3rd Gen Tacoma forum because I'm not sure if 2nd or 3rd is the answer!)

I'm sure this has been covered here and there... I hope this will bring together the collective wisdom of all of you Tacoma gurus...

Looking for a platform to build an expo/overland truck. I'm hoping for a double cab short bed.
(Eventual build elements below.)

In this case "best" is:
- absent common failure known issues present in certain model/year combos (ie. xxx is known to have timing chain leak issues etc)
- ease of upgrade OR OEM version is as good as upgrade (ie. xxx is problematic to add sliders/bumpers/lockers etc)
- reliability/maintenance (ie. xxx seems to require brake replacement more often than others etc)

I'll want to add/modify/have:
manual transmission (am I misguided here? - I do like my manual transmissions)
locker(s)
front bumper/winch
rear bumper/carrier
sliders
mild lift
skid plates
beefier steering/IFS component upgrades
cloth seats

Don't need fancy electronic stuff - I'd rather have control over traction, navigation and sound/music options. (unless I'm totally misguided here as well)

Thanks all....
mark

Personally, The 2nd and 3rd gen both have there pro/cons. 3rd gen has a bit more aftermarket support (not that 2nd gen is lacking). 2nd gen has there proven reliability (4.0L). 3rd gen has a nicer interior in my opinion. either way you should try and test drive both and see what suits your style.

I chose a base model (even those base is pretty techy for me LOL!) 2015 DCLB V6 4x4 AT. why?
- last year of the second gen (and 4.0L) so you would hope all the quirks have been ironed out
- Base model because if modifying no point in the "TRD" packages since you would be ripping half of the package out (suspension, lockers, etc)
- Long box. more storage, sleep in the canopy pretty comfy.
- Automatic since i am daily driving it and dont want to deal with clutch in/out traffic wise.

Both generations with the aftermarket parts side are fairly easy bolt on/off if your a D.I.Y

Problem wise as far as i know (remembering 2nd gens are from 2005-2015 so the laundry list is going to be bigger since its been out for 10 years comparing to the 4 years the 3rd gen has been out)

2nd gen
-TSB on Leaf springs ( which dont apply if your changing/lifting anyways)
- Air pump recall (emissions there is a D.I.Y fix for this with plenty of positive outcomes)
- frame recall (stretching up to 2017) toyota still has there rust issues
- Lower control arms are known to seize at the cam bolts (necessary for alignment), not that the lower control arm itself seizes, it's that the sleeve in the lower control arm rusts and can't be adjusted.
- Front differential bearing prematurely wearing ( there is a fix to this using a ECGS bushing)

3rd gen
- fuel pump recall on certain years
- some complain about irratic shifting (Not applicable if going MT)
- not really a problem but from what ive read the 3.5 likes the higher rpms

not sure if theres more for 3rd gen hopefully others can chime in on this one

Lots of people state that both vehicles arent the greatest on MPG scales, especially when they start adding the armor, sliders, etc.

my .02 cents anyways, hopefully it helps 👍

Only things I'd to add to Anthony's remarks is to go test drive both. I prefer the gen 2's 4.0 powerband and the feel of the shifter/clutch over the gen 3. But you/others may feel differently. You can mod the hell out of either but you're (probably) not going to swap either trans or engine components, so go with the truck that feels best behind the wheel.

Also toyota has largely only phased out manuals, only 5% of sales currently in US. They exist, but a gen 2 is probably easier to find with 3 pedals.

My two pennies, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom