Don't be too nice when going for free tools on Craigslist... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
so yesterday, I see somebody giving away a mill/lathe combo on CL. One motor busted but no big deal for me. Ad said to come and get it. But I still took the time to send an email saying I'm interested. Went supersonic on the freeway. Nobody outside.
Long story short, I did not want to start rummaging on the guy's property unannounced, so went to the house, introduced myself and asked politely if I could get it. He says yes and will show me. He takes his sweet time, though. We walk together to the shed and when we get there a bunch of unknown guys are just loading the mill on a trailer.... Fark....

So, is getting free tools like dating? Nice guys always finish last? :hmm:

so yesterday, I see somebody giving away a mill/lathe combo on CL. One motor busted but no big deal for me. Ad said to come and get it. But I still took the time to send an email saying I'm interested. Went supersonic on the freeway. Nobody outside.
Long story short, I did not want to start rummaging on the guy's property unannounced, so went to the house, introduced myself and asked politely if I could get it. He says yes and will show me. He takes his sweet time, though. We walk together to the shed and when we get there a bunch of unknown guys are just loading the mill on a trailer.... Fark....

So, is getting free tools like dating? Nice guys always finish last? :hmm:
"Come and get it" and a picture of item sitting outside, yup, go and grab. It is equivalent to item on the street with a sign that says free. Most people will usually specify in the ad though.

yes, it did say that, but nothing about where it was, no pics of the location, no info. Had to go onto the property to find it. I do not go onto a private property without asking first. Especially in the dark. Obviously, with hindsight that was not the best way to secure the thing, unfortunately.

Oh, well, never mind, there'll be another one...

Hahahah!

Today I see something else I want on the CL freebies. There is an address. This time, scr@w the reply, I'm going first thing. Coincidentally and fortunately, I had just (like 10 mins before) finished unhooking the trailer from the failed mill run, that took me a good 15 - 20 mins with moving stuff around. Again, supersonic on the freeway. I get there and this time -no mercy- I'm prepared to just park in front of the house on the street with emergency blinkers so as not to waste any time in case there is another car coming up. There isn't. So I park (silly me) and walk on over. And not only is there the item there on the curb, but 2 more I can also make very good use of. Yea!

And the cherry on the cake: When I'm ferrying the stuff back to my truck, there is another car that came up, stops, and the driver looks mournfully at me! Ah, 2 mins too late, sucka!

Karma!!! :cheers:

unfortunately, I would trade the last 3 items in an instant for the earlier mill/lathe so it was only partial good karma. But yes, another good lesson learned.

Now, as to dating, I haven't figured that one out yet... :)

Hahahah!

Today I see something else I want on the CL freebies. There is an address. This time, scr@w the reply, I'm going first thing. Coincidentally and fortunately, I had just (like 10 mins before) finished unhooking the trailer from the failed mill run, that took me a good 15 - 20 mins with moving stuff around. Again, supersonic on the freeway. I get there and this time -no mercy- I'm prepared to just park in front of the house on the street with emergency blinkers so as not to waste any time in case there is another car coming up. There isn't. So I park (silly me) and walk on over. And not only is there the item there on the curb, but 2 more I can also make very good use of. Yea!

And the cherry on the cake: When I'm ferrying the stuff back to my truck, there is another car that came up, stops, and the driver looks mournfully at me! Ah, 2 mins too late, sucka!

Karma!!! :cheers:
Pics or your loaded trailer or it was still empty on the way home because you were too late again but too ashamed to tell us :flipoff2:

Unfortunately, on the latest outing, there was no need for a trailer, which is a bad sign when it comes to freebies, at least for somebody who drools over machine tools. Ironically, though, I've gotten 2 free trailers on CL in recent years, so there is that, sometimes you go out without one and come back with one... Craigslist is a wonderful thing.

Anytime I see a ad for something free, just come take it.... I'm afraid it's not the owner that posted and someone's going to call the police (or worse).

Even if it is legit the owner posting, who the hell wants strangers wandering around there place just taking s***, even if it is s*** you want someone to just take?

The few times I did post ads for free stuff, it turned into a pain in the ass.... People asking me to hold it and then not showing up... People wanting just parts, trying to leave the rest... Now I ask at least $20 for anything, and told them to keep it when they showed up.

what I do see a fair bit of are people advertising some freebie, give the address, say it's on the curb and first come first serve, and also say they won't answer questions. Just come and get it. No holds. Fair enough. The bad part is when they leave the ad up for 3 days after it's gone and 25 people drove out there for nothing. And yes, you could have somebody come by, take a small critical part, leave the rest and then somebody, either the giver or a hapless taker gets stuck with a useless item. Still though, it's very nice of people to offer rather than sell or trash. And yes, when I go pick up a freebie on the curb I have the CL ad up on my phone in case somebody puts up a fuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom