Does this tick concern anyone else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a very similar sound in a 79 I just did. I’d have been inclined to run it if it were mine and see if it changed but we changed it for another engine we found just to be safe.

I say adjust the lifters and then see what is left. In my case it was a worn cam that drove the fuel pump - a relatively harmless tick/clack.

Thank you guys for your thoughts, I'll look at adjusting the lifters. Hoping it is the harmless tick!

If you pull the valve cover and run the engine, you can verify rocker movement and oiling. Then push down on each rocker as it’s running to see if the noise changes.
Other things to try:
Unbolt fuel pump from block and run (won’t run long but it will run and tell you if it’s pump related)
Remove belts and run it (this will tell you if it’s from a belt driven accessory).
Compression check

The one I dealt with, best way to describe it: sounded like a 12 valve Cummins engine with that distinct diesel knock. Got quiet/inaudible above 1200-1500 rpm.

Can you describe it in words?

A valve tic went away when I dialed in the valve lash, just tighter than factory specs, by minus .003" on all twelve.
I would describe it as a metallic clicking. Not a harsh clunking, but noticeable. My brother said it sounds like valve chatter.

If you pull the valve cover and run the engine, you can verify rocker movement and oiling. Then push down on each rocker as it’s running to see if the noise changes.
Other things to try:
Unbolt fuel pump from block and run (won’t run long but it will run and tell you if it’s pump related)
Remove belts and run it (this will tell you if it’s from a belt driven accessory).
Compression check

The one I dealt with, best way to describe it: sounded like a 12 valve Cummins engine with that distinct diesel knock. Got quiet/inaudible above 1200-1500 rpm.
This sounds like a great next step. I've watched a lot of videos, I am hoping it is a valve that is too loose.

Another video of the sound.

Thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom