Does the plastic under the hood of a LX570 do anything? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's to hold dirt. That's the only thing I found them to be good at. The only one that actually attenuates noise is the thicker one mounted to the engine. All of the skirting around the edge is just to make it look "pretty"... no actual functionality. I removed mine until I SOLD my LX... then I put them all back, along with my original wheels and tires.

Side note - anyone looking for a set of powder coated 2010 Tundra rims? I have a set that could be yours fairly cheap. Yeah, I know... sales section, but hey... who knows maybe someone will drop by the house and get them out of my storage!

Jonathan

I'm thinking of ditching the plastic cover on the LC engine....
Change my mind.... 😛

You can sell it. Post an ad in the classifieds.
Some 200 series guys want them for the extra HP. :cool:

I am sure someone could have answered this for me without me spending the money, but the Land Cruiser engine cover (OEM: 53292-60030 (SEAL, RADIATOR SUPPORT)) will not fit the LX570.

It actually serves a purpose also as a cowl to keep heat soaked engine compartment air separated from the cool intake path prior to radiators / coolers.
Unless someone knows something i dont.

I'd suggest that it depends on which part of the cover. Up front, definitely, and that's why I was hoping the LC shield would work.

On the sides of the engine bay I'm not so sure it's anything besides aesthetics.

I'd suggest that it depends on which part of the cover. Up front, definitely, and that's why I was hoping the LC shield would work.

On the sides of the engine bay I'm not so sure it's anything besides aesthetics.
Just trim what you don’t want with a box cutter. It will go through that plastic like butter. The rubber seal would be good to keep.

Acoustic reduction makes sense because a LX should be quieter than a LC as that would be a luxury upgrade, but if the purpose is to separate hot engine air from cool intake for performance or safety, why doesn’t LC have a similar cover?

Acoustic reduction makes sense because a LX should be quieter than a LC as that would be a luxury upgrade, but if the purpose is to separate hot engine air from cool intake for performance or safety, why doesn’t LC have a similar cover?

The portion that matters for cooling performance is what the LC has. It separates airflow between outside and inside engine bay so the radiator fan is not recirculating hot air. It matters as a couple LX owners have found with minor overheating without covers in place during low speed off-roading.

The covers beyond the top radiator support that the LX has is more for noise attenuation.

1639093419618.png

1639093527267.png

Box cutter is the way. You can also trim down the center portion to make inspecting the top rad tank easier, while still leaving enough for gasket and air flow control.

You don’t have to replace the pushpins. You can just place the covers back in place.

I’ve got my air compressor, a jack stand, and jumper cables stored under those plastic things in the various empty spaces around the engine…plus the plastic covers just resting there on the off chance it reduces noise or improves air circulation.

Leaving the pins out makes for easier access to that stuff…plus the winch should I need to mess with it.

Mine is different btw, lx owners could probably drop in the reduced size 2016+ cover but I’m not too sure it’s contours are the same. I’ll get a photo today for y’all but I’m sure google has it.

You don’t have to replace the pushpins. You can just place the covers back in place.

Leaving the pins out makes for easier access to that stuff…plus the winch should I need to mess with it.

I thought they'd rattle a bit under there but maybe not enough to even notice. Could also just use a couple of the easier to remove worn out clips to facilitate removal. Good suggestion.

Google had a photo.

Heres what mine and im guessing all 2016+ look like, mix of both.
And its 1 piece instead of 3.

29.jpg

Wish I had more garage wall space. I would polish that plastic up good and stick it on my garage wall.:grinpimp:

I’ve got my air compressor, a jack stand, and jumper cables stored under those plastic things in the various empty spaces around the engine…plus the plastic covers just resting there on the off chance it reduces noise or improves air circulation.

Good idea. Pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom