Does the 200 series LC use a steering dampener or stabilizer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed when I'm covering rough terrain that the steering wheel jerks around more than I'd prefer. Does the 200 series LC use a steering dampener or steering stabilizer that I could replace with either a less worn or more aggressive aftermarket replacement? I couldn't find any steer dampeners for the 200 series on the internet, so maybe the steering design of this truck doesn't use that part?

Some feedback is normal but certain mods can exacerbate the issue.

What offset are your wheels?

Some feedback is normal but certain mods can exacerbate the issue.

What offset are your wheels?
Stock wheels, and my tires are one aspect ratio higher than the OE size. BFG KO2's. I have a BP-51 suspension on it. I mention this because I still have no skids, bumpers, or winch, and I'm sure the preload on the front coilover and the rear coil spring rate are too stiff for my stock weight (actually less than stock because I threw out the third row). I have skids and a rear bumper ordered, and I'll get a front bumper and winch before summer. Could my weight to spring rate mismatch exacerbate steering feedback?

TLDR: Scrub radius can be impacted by tire size, suspension, and alignment such that it causes more bump steer, pulling, and kickback in the steering.

It may be a combination of a few things:
- By going one size up to 285/65R18, the optimal offset changes from the stock +60mm offset built into the the wheels, to +50mm. Though this should be close enough.
- Large lifts change geometry too and can cause some of the things you're experiencing. I assume it's lifted about 2.5"? Do you have UCAs to bring back some caster lost from the lift?
- Too much spring rate can also cause more forces to be projected into the steering. Soften the preload if you can, but may also want to air down more if you haven't?
- May want to check alignment as caster and camber can help or exacerbate some of the other issues.

TLDR: Scrub radius can be impacted by tire size, suspension, and alignment such that it causes more bump steer, pulling, and kickback in the steering.

It may be a combination of a few things:
- By going one size up to 285/65R18, the optimal offset changes from the stock +60mm offset built into the the wheels, to +50mm. Though this should be close enough.
- Large lifts change geometry too and can cause some of the things you're experiencing. I assume it's lifted about 2.5"? Do you have UCAs to bring back some caster lost from the lift?
- Too much spring rate can also cause more forces to be projected into the steering. Soften the preload if you can, but may also want to air down more if you haven't?
- May want to check alignment as caster and camber can help or exacerbate some of the other issues.
A lot to consider here. I didn't think that the slightly larger tires would change the offset.
You're right that it's about a 2.5" lift. I'm going to hold off on adjusting my preload until I have all my goodies bolted up.
I have aftermarket control arms as recommended by the people that sold me the lift. I took it to the alignment shop and they got it in spec.
I usually air down to about 18 when I'm offroad. When I don't air down, I have noticed the feedback is more severe.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll be sure to air down, and I'll also hurry up and bolt more stuff to the truck to mash down my springs more :)

No, the 200 doesn't have a steering dampener.

I don't think springs are going to impact this.

You might evaluate the compression and rebound settings on your suspension. Is the BP-51 adjustable?

My Kings aren't, but they were setup/tuned for my vehicle weight, and don't exhibit any of the symptoms you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom