Does size matter? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

those are good vids .. and nice to know they work .. I just will hold my big 6 TDI engine .. for my peace of mind .. :)

Would be nice to see those trucks with those little engines in a real trail with real heavy load over 'em ..

dude you lost me..... ¿ :confused: ?

Being I have owned TDI's as well as several Mercedes diesels... the VW 1.9TDI was actually way less noisy then any of my diesel mercedes. As well as having a hell of a lot more power then the two point slow.... I have raced modified 2.0's and the stock 1.9TDI with a double dose of power service was faster and still used less fuel then the 2.0. I have been into Volkswagens since 1980.

Barely any smoke what so ever.... my next door neighbor did not even know it was a diesel. I did get a very very tiny bit of smoke on start up when it was like 0 degree's F outside. Diesel quality is not required to be high quality. In fact for years North America produced diesel fuel up to ten times poorer then seen in Europe. Thats according to the CIA studies. Yes the CIA did do studies of diesel manufacturing quality around the globe.

This thread is just to kick around different approaches using an engine that is half the size of the norm. It wasn't about swapping out a 1.9TDI in place of a 2H. It was more along the lines of how each engine would perform in a similar vehicle.

Correct me if I have strayed away from your statement.

I don't know which merc engines are you referring to-1,9tdi is quieter and faster and more modern than 1980's merc engines but merc engines do run 500k and more without any problems-they are very slow but extremely reliable.
On the other hand low quality diesel(high sulphur etc...) will kill 1,9tdi - than they start to smoke and the owner is faced with very expensive repairs-maybe vw is exporting slightly different engines to the States because of lower quality diesel, we were getting cars for the eu market and they would clog up and die-this lead to big scandal and our oil company started selling higher quality diesel fuel-eurodiesel. Some manufacturers(renault,toyota etc.) even stopped selling cars with their modern diesel engines.Only modern diesel engine that was not afected by dirty diesel was mazda ditd.
Also VW tdi is famous for consuming lot of oil-even new from the factoy-normal oil consumption is up to 1l per 1000km.
On the other hand they are fast and not thirsty. I don't think that it would be a problem running them in a cruiser because they are moving VW transporters-passenger and cargo ones,and they are certainly not light. There are also numerous large cargo vans of other manufacturers powered by 1.9,2.0 turbodiesels (fiat,peugeot,...)
This is of course my personal opinion:cheers:

"I don't know which merc engines are you referring to-1,9tdi is quieter and faster and more modern than 1980's merc engines but merc engines do run 500k and more without any problems-they are very slow but extremely reliable."

OM 616 and OM617 in both NA and TD form. Only one that was not an 1980's mbz was a 300td I owned. All others were early to mid 1980's models. I loved all my Mercedes diesels.

"On the other hand low quality diesel(high sulphur etc...) will kill 1,9tdi - than they start to smoke and the owner is faced with very expensive repairs-maybe vw is exporting slightly different engines to the States because of lower quality diesel, we were getting cars for the eu market and they would clog up and die-this lead to big scandal and our oil company started selling higher quality diesel fuel-eurodiesel."

The emissions out put for almost all diesel engines is directly effected by the quality of diesel fuel used as well as the amount of sulfur in the diesel. So crappy fuel quality means more bad emissions and higher particle counts. The way VAG has the ECM set up for North American 1.9TDI's using a catalytic converter allows particles to be redirected back up into the intake manifold which in turn collects over time until it finally cuts off the intake of the engine.
This problem can be eliminated by using a Vagcom and changing information in the ecm. You basically turn off the egr system and no more particles. So issues I have noticed over time deal with the fuel being used and not the actual manufacturer of the engine. Either VAG or MBZ.

North American (USA/CAN) TDI cars are the lower 1.9TDI models. And from what I remember they use a different pump.

"Also VW tdi is famous for consuming lot of oil-even new from the factoy-normal oil consumption is up to 1l per 1000km."

I cant speak for any VAG TDI's used in the UK or Europe. Here in NA I have not seen oil consumption any different then any other vehicle I have owned. I have not had any of my friends or family that own VAG TDI's say they use huge amount of oil. But I know that the break in period is taken into consideration as well. I did not push my TDI until it was properly broken in. After that I pushed it hard on a daily basis.

The only thing that did suck was that VAG required you to use a special weight oil made by Castrol. And you could only buy it at a VAG Dealer Parts Dept. That stuff was expensive until most people started going over to other brands. And even then the oil changes (10K) are pretty far and in between. I always changed mine every 5,000 miles using Rotella T.

The 1.9na, 1.9TD and 1.9TDI's are common engine swaps for VW transporters and trucks. The VW diesel shown in that video is a 1600cc engine. I was surprised myself when it moved the guys truck. I did not think a 1600cc engine would more a 4x4. I felt a 1900cc would be good only due to the amount of weight is was designed to push or pull around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom