Does M-VCI firmware matter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have spent two days trying to get Techstream 12 (and as a troubleshooting measure 7,8,9, and 10) to work. When I purchased the vehicle there was a M-vci cable included but no disc. I bought another one off amazon so that I could get the disc. I have tried both. I am running Windows 7 64 and followed the directions to a T so that the driver is installed properly and will communicate with the cable. It initially installed on COM(4) and I tried COM(5) which was the port in the tech tutorial. Regardless of either COM port I use all is OK there. I have Techstream installed correctly and registered. I keep getting an error saying "cannot connect to VIM" regardless of which Interface setup I choose (Xhorse or TIS Techstream VIM).

I have researched further and read some (not a lot) of resources that say 1.4.1 will not connect to '99-'04 year models, but I have also heard that upgrading the firmware could brick the cable. I have an extra one and will try to update it to see.

Any suggestions? I have also searched the forum repeatedly and cannot find any further information, so could someone in the know or one who knows a forum link provide help? I have also read that TIS 12.10.019 has bugs but I have tried all the other versions and get the same result.

HELP!

Are you powering your device via an inverter connected to the vehicle or are you using its onboard battery/mains power? Reason I ask is that if you use an inverter you can experience what’s referred to as a ground loop where you get parallel signal ground paths between the inverter/laptop/USB and the signal ground of the DLC3/VCI. Parallel grounds and other signal ground reference issues can cause connection failures and potentially damage the mVCI. I know my old dell platform refuses to connect when powered via an onboard inverter but is flawless when powered via its internal battery or mains, and has been for years. I know of others who experience connectivity issues when powered via inverter too.
***There are several variables at play here and no doubt there are many out there who have no connection issues when on onboard inverter power - but some do.

Are you powering your device via an inverter connected to the vehicle or are you using its onboard battery/mains power? Reason I ask is that if you use an inverter you can experience what’s referred to as a ground loop where you get parallel signal ground paths between the inverter/laptop/USB and the signal ground of the DLC3/VCI. Parallel grounds and other signal ground reference issues can cause connection failures and potentially damage the mVCI. I know my old dell platform refuses to connect when powered via an onboard inverter but is flawless when powered via its internal battery or mains, and has been for years. I know of others who experience connectivity issues when powered via inverter too.
***There are several variables at play here and no doubt there are many out there who have no connection issues when on onboard inverter power - but some do.

Interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom