Does LC300 release tell us anything about the upcoming release of GX / 4R / Prado? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've driven numerous Ford Ecoboost trucks as rentals. They do have a ton of power and a crazy-flat torque curve. Interesting to feel them shift up a gear and have the engine just keep pulling at 2K RPM.

That being said the TT V6 gas mileage never seems to match EPA numbers in the real-word. None of the Ecoboost trucks i've rented has gotten equivalent mileage to a basic LS in a GM truck or a Hemi in a Ram, or even Ford's own Coyote motor. Maybe if they're driven to stay out of boost, but not for normal daily driving.

I understand that the TT V6 is the truck engine of the intermediate future (until we go fully electric), but I've never been impressed enough by one (outside of the raw power aspect) to really want to drive one. The theatrics and simplicity of a NA V8 make them more appealing to me than a TT V6 that sounds funky, gets worse MPG, and has more expensive maintenance (eventual need to replace turbos at a very high cost).

When my GX470 bites the dust I'll just find a GX460 to build. These are literally the last of the body-on-frame, V8, midsize SUVs the world will ever see.

I agree, whatever puts out the most bang (=horsepower) and distance per gallon I'm all in.
Well maybe not "all" in, but may consider trading in Lexi if the stars align just right.

These are literally the last of the body-on-frame, V8, midsize SUVs the world will ever see.
I feel like someone should be playing Amazing Grace on the bagpipes or a bugler playing Taps in the background as the sun slowly sets over the horizon. 😭

I've driven numerous Ford Ecoboost trucks as rentals. They do have a ton of power and a crazy-flat torque curve. Interesting to feel them shift up a gear and have the engine just keep pulling at 2K RPM.

That being said the TT V6 gas mileage never seems to match EPA numbers in the real-word. None of the Ecoboost trucks i've rented has gotten equivalent mileage to a basic LS in a GM truck or a Hemi in a Ram, or even Ford's own Coyote motor. Maybe if they're driven to stay out of boost, but not for normal daily driving.

I understand that the TT V6 is the truck engine of the intermediate future (until we go fully electric), but I've never been impressed enough by one (outside of the raw power aspect) to really want to drive one. The theatrics and simplicity of a NA V8 make them more appealing to me than a TT V6 that sounds funky, gets worse MPG, and has more expensive maintenance (eventual need to replace turbos at a very high cost).

When my GX470 bites the dust I'll just find a GX460 to build. These are literally the last of the body-on-frame, V8, midsize SUVs the world will ever see.

Thank you for saying this. I get a lot of heat when I make that comment about the “ecoboost” trucks and other small engine turbo power plants. They have power yes but don’t expect the fuel economy benefit for the average consumer. I worked at Ford when they first came out and I was the first at my dealership to point this out. My buddy has an F150 with the 2.7TT and while it’s a very good engine the MPG just isn’t there as much as it should be. The real advantage of a turbo is towing + elevation.

I much prefer a hybrid setup though because it DOES give you legit good MPG for the average person. Almost 1,000 miles driven in this 2020 Venza hybrid loaner and I’m averaging almost 37 MPG with my slightly heavy foot playing around with the ludicrous launch this thing gets off the line. With how the this Venza hybrid’s system is setup I can imagine with a larger vehicle and a 6cyl version of it being fantastic for towing and elevation.

My sour experience with '80s turbo on a Japanese vehicle in early '90's really hasn't allowed for me to appreciate them in this day and age. I'm open to new info and to change my opinion but have never seen a turbo added to increase reliability. IMO: MPG numbers on most turbos are underwhelming. Sure you can get good mileage with no boost... seems fairly out the window though when boost hits.

My sour experience with '80s turbo on a Japanese vehicle in early '90's really hasn't allowed for me to appreciate them in this day and age. I'm open to new info and to change my opinion but have never seen a turbo added to increase reliability. IMO: MPG numbers on most turbos are underwhelming. Sure you can get good mileage with no boost... seems fairly out the window though when boost hits.
The engines are too small without the turbos to push these heavy ass modern vehicles around with all this extra safety equipment & weight. So if you put a turbo on it you’ll likely have to wring the hell out of it thus decreasing reliability.

That’s where I think the hybrid setup helps here. To use this Venza again as an example it weights ~3,900 lbs without the driver and I do not feel like it’s lacking in any sort of power with these two electric motors (front and back) assisting the 2.5L I4. Without these electric motors the 2.5L would never be able to pull this thing around and with a turbo you’d really have to wring it out.

It would appear there is recognition of the over-landing at this time with that other prototypes at Lexus.

IMO: Lexus is leaning into it.
They definitely should. Plus pushing "legendary off road ability" or however they want to market it will give them some leeway in sticking with body on frame as it appears they are doing.
Thank you for saying this. I get a lot of heat when I make that comment about the “ecoboost” trucks and other small engine turbo power plants. They have power yes but don’t expect the fuel economy benefit for the average consumer. I worked at Ford when they first came out and I was the first at my dealership to point this out. My buddy has an F150 with the 2.7TT and while it’s a very good engine the MPG just isn’t there as much as it should be. The real advantage of a turbo is towing + elevation.
For the most part you can either have Eco or you can have Boost, and that's the case with any modern turbo motor. The crossover between those 2 modes gets smaller as the vehicle gets larger. I averaged right about 30 miles per gallon lifetime average fuel economy over 50,000 miles in my Fiesta ST which is pretty impressive considering I didn't give a crap about Eco and only wanted Boost lol. Then again I only averaged 30mpg in a subcompact economy car.

The modern turbo advantage over a bigger N/A motor is really more in emissions and power delivery than real world mileage.

The engines are too small without the turbos to push these heavy ass modern vehicles around with all this extra safety equipment & weight. So if you put a turbo on it you’ll likely have to wring the hell out of it thus decreasing reliability.

That’s where I think the hybrid setup helps here. To use this Venza again as an example it weights ~3,900 lbs without the driver and I do not feel like it’s lacking in any sort of power with these two electric motors (front and back) assisting the 2.5L I4. Without these electric motors the 2.5L would never be able to pull this thing around and with a turbo you’d really have to wring it out.
Glad to hear your positive experience on the Toyota hybrid platform. We're going to get an AWD hybrid Highlander for my wife, as soon as we can find one in her color (they are very hard to come by in the hybrid AWD form on dealer lots to start with; impossible if you're looking for a particular color). A hybrid platform seems to make more sense than a small turbo engine; it's able to use large amounts of lost braking energy for propulsion. The turbo is only able to make use of exhaust waste energy.

It does seem that Toyota's engineering of their V8s has sacrificed emissions and MPG for durability. GM and Ram both produce lower-tech pushrod V8s that make similar power as a Toyota 3UR with better emissions and better MPG. It's a shame Toyota could not have optimized their V8s to allow for continued production and use. A GM LS is only marginally less durable than a UZ/UR engine and easier to work on with better MPG and more power (that being said, I do love my 2UZ!).

Last edited:
Lots of folks call the 150 series outdated, and I agree. But that was it's main selling point for me. The writing is on the wall where truck development is headed and the classic design of the GX stands apart. The next gen won't just ditch the V8, but I'd be shocked if it keeps it's rear axle. Consider the new LR Defender with it's independent rear suspension. Yeah independent suspension can be made to work off-road, but I'd just as likely see them dropping the transfer case and going full crossover. The GX as-is just doesn't fit the bigger picture. The good news is that ours should last the next 50 years or so. Can they maintain that durability in the turbo-hybrid-unibody-CVT future, we'll see...

I have a hard time believing the GX will get a turbo 4. The power to weight ratio would be horrendous... it would be obvious to anyone test driving the car. I'm guessing a turbo 6, maybe the same TT6 engine in the LC but with a smaller turbo or something (like how Audi and VW share engines).

I would also welcome a hybrid drivetrain. I think it would achieve their goals (better MPG ratings), without a major power sacrifice. It would come at a cost though $$$$.

2023 Toyota LandCruiser Prado 250 Series imagined

22.jpeg

The durability of the diesel with blue tech injection has been has been pretty poor with all manufacturers. The turbo combined with the extra heat generated by making everything clean kills them. MY 1981 BJ44 has over 300,000 kilometers on it, it will probably still be runnning when internal combustion engines are banned. One of hte reasons I bought my GX460 is its durability. If you want MPG get s sub compact.

Last edited:
GXOR member posted some scoop about the 2022 models at least in Canadian spec.

Nori Green color and a Black Line Addition

Also.. get this Android Auto, Apple Carplay and a new 10.3" screen w/remote touch interface

Black Line Edition in Black Onyx and Nori Green Pearl

Possible limited production run from August-November

Black Line Edition
18" Gloss black wheels
Unique Roof Rack and Cross Bars
Grey Interior Stitch & Accents
Black Window Frames
Black Chrome Spindle Grille
Black/Grey Seating Material
Red Tail Lamps
Dark Gray Bumper and fog lamp garnish
Headlamp Cleaner

So just rearranging buttons and an useless touchpad that every human who has used one hates? The layout looks like the current LX, which is very good looking but Id say its more fit to the current GX and should have been available in 2016 - same time as the LX overhaul. Theres nothing in the interior draw thats not been available for a decade.

I can bet my house this will be the interior of the gen 3 GX as well (look at the IS). I expected a bit more tech modernization in the new generation but I guess we wont see it. Lexus is trying hard to not let the GX cannibalize the LX. Its so frustrating because for me the GX is the perfect SUV, much more so than the LX due to its smaller size and nimbleness.

This doesn’t matter to me (keeping my ‘12 for the long term) but a few complaints some do harp on in many forums,FB, etc…. I monitor was the lack of Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and physical fan buttons. To the group that those features mattered …this will address those concerns. Gen 3 will probably leapfrog again with tech that many will either like or not. There was tech introduced with 460 a decade ago that most have warmed up to at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom