Does LC300 release tell us anything about the upcoming release of GX / 4R / Prado? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious what we can learn from yesterday's release. I would imagine the GX / 4R / Prado will have some of the look and feel of the 300 but in a smaller dimensions. It does remind me a bit of the current GX460. The big dog 300 gets a Turbo 3.5L so it is almost a given the GX / 4R / Prado will get a Turbo 4 banger.

so it is almost a given the GX / 4R / Prado will get a Turbo 4 banger.

I really ****ing hope not. It’s disgusting to think of the GX having anything but a V8. And a 4 pot? Oh god I really hope not. I guess it doesn’t matter since I’ll never buy a new one. :)

Just slap that v6 diesel in all the cruisers :)
No. Not every one likes diesel. It should be an option but not the only one available. :) Let the market decide what they want. Put that 4 pot, diesel and V8 as options and see which one people buy.

My guess is that the next gen GX also gets some version of the turbo six. Toyota/Lexus will stay in line with their current market segment for the next GX and LX, where they basically start with the "best" version of the Prado or Land Cruiser and then turn it into a Lexus.
They aren't going to cheapen either model because they don't want/need to move them down market and they don't want to cannibalize 4Runner and Sequoia sales doing so.

I do wonder if we will see Lexus do any type of special model to play up the off road capability from the factory. They seem pretty content letting the aftermarket handle that for their trucks but America is the right market for an epic luxury off roader.

I do wonder if we will see Lexus do any type of special model to play up the off road capability from the factory. They seem pretty content letting the aftermarket handle that for their trucks but America is the right market for an epic luxury off roader.
I agree. Which is why the V8 needs to be a option.

I agree. Which is why the V8 needs to be a option.
At this point, there is absolutely zero chance the GX will get a V8. When the 300 got a 6 then Toyota is not about ready to start a mutiny to put an 8 in the GX.
we are likely getting a turbo 4 or possibly a detuned version of the 3.5 turbo 6 from the 300.

At this point, there is absolutely zero chance the GX will get a V8. When the 300 got a 6 then Toyota is not about ready to start a mutiny to put an 8 in the GX.
we are likely getting a turbo 4 or possibly a detuned version of the 3.5 turbo 6 from the 300.
I think you will be proven correct.

On the 300, the biggest disappointment to me is the loss of the tailgate. Next, it looks like the glass doesn't open on the rear hatch. If the next GX rear glass doesn't open it will be a deal breaker for us since it would be a serious limitation for how we use the vehicle.

Oh I know the V8 won’t happen. The plant in Japan that produces it is shut down. I’m pretty irritated about it if that wasn’t obvious. Haha

We know the next GX is getting more power and better mileage because it has to. Unless Toyota/Lexus has a secret 350+ horsepower turbo 4/hybrid we don't know about it's definitely getting the 6.
My guess is the turbo six with somewhere between 350 and 390 horsepower, or the next GX gets the same 410 horsepower turbo 6 announced for the new LC and Tundra and the next LX gets the rumored 500 horsepower hybrid version only.

V8 is out of question for sure. And honestly with its horrendous premium gas MGP and the so so 300hp I dont miss it. Also, off-roading is about enjoying nature, Id like to protect the environment if I could. Thus, I would welcome a turbo or hybrid drive chain.

I havent seen any turbo 4 so I doubt toyota will develop a new one for the GX. If the GX stays as a 4x4, Im sure it will have the detuned turbo v6 and the 4runner will have the new turbo 4 whenever it is available. If GX becomes a 7 seat RX then maybe a hybrid turbo 4.

It will be extremely surprised to me if by 2023 lexus doesnt have any electric motor in its line up. So I agree on the LX having the hybrid. They have mentioned it being a true flagship and distance itself from the LC many times.

Best guess is a detuned twin turbo V6 335-350 horsepower 375 torque. Given it’s built on the same platform the -400 lbs will be extremely welcoming, hopefully it turns into higher payloads. A a serious reach, triple locked would be the cats meow but in reality if it’s center/rear dif locked it would be better than what we have now.

Oh I know the V8 won’t happen. The plant in Japan that produces it is shut down. I’m pretty irritated about it if that wasn’t obvious. Haha

If the factory is shut down then how do they plan to manufacture GX for the 2022 model year? As far as I know, the GX replacement comes for the 2023 model year.

Best guess is a detuned twin turbo V6 335-350 horsepower 375 torque. Given it’s built on the same platform the -400 lbs will be extremely welcoming, hopefully it turns into higher payloads. A a serious reach, triple locked would be the cats meow but in reality if it’s center/rear dif locked it would be better than what we have now.
400lbs lighter + v6 turbo + triple locks and no one will buy the LC/LX anymore haha. I think it will be a level down in capability just to protect the flagship status of the LC/LX.

if it has the V6 turbo, you will at most see the center dif lock.

Im leaning more towards turbo 4 hybrid + better interior just to focus on the soccer moms, which probably account for 80% of new GX buyers. The prado on the other hand will have the diesel engine.

If the factory is shut down then how do they plan to manufacture GX for the 2022 model year? As far as I know, the GX replacement comes for the 2023 model year.
The engine plant not the vehicle assembly plant was shut down is my understanding. Trying to find the story again.

400lbs lighter + v6 turbo + triple locks and no one will buy the LC/LX anymore haha. I think it will be a level down in capability just to protect the flagship status of the LC/LX.

if it has the V6 turbo, you will at most see the center dif lock.

Im leaning more towards turbo 4 hybrid + better interior just to focus on the soccer moms, which probably account for 80% of new GX buyers. The prado on the other hand will have the diesel engine.
I don't think they would add more locking diffs to the GX unless they decide to reaaaallly lean into the current off road/overland hype with some "performance" edition or something. It seems like Lexus wants the vibe of the GX/LX to be fairly effortless in their ability to get through light work like a wet polo field or a wet golf course or a muddy vineyard without the driver having to mess with a bunch of stuff. But also it would be awesome to get a factory GXOR with locking diffs and wild suspension like the Multimatic setup similar to the ZR2.

The GX occupies kind of a unique space in the luxury market and my guess is they will want to keep it there. They don't want to move it down-market at all because then they're competing against themselves with the RX (and 4Runner). The loss of the Land Cruiser gives them a little room upmarket before it eats into the LX, but not by much.

It would appear there is recognition of the over-landing at this time with all the prototypes at Lexus.

IMO: Lexus is leaning into it.

This appears to be trim levels of Lexus LX 600. IMO:
The LX 570 are probably references to final order numbers before platform is retired.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.51.29 AM.png

Last edited:
I will say the only way I'd accept a non-V8 GX is perhaps a hybrid similar to that of the Venza/Rav4 but with a 6cyl instead of a 4cyl. I still prefer the V8 over all other engine power plants, however, I do like the way these modern hybrids function. This loaner 2020 Venza hybrid I've been driving for a week is pretty good. That sort of instant torque access from the electric motor would do well for off-road use me thinks and would make up for the lack of V8 torque. The downside though is the uber smooth and excellent noise a V8 makes. That is the real loss. I love the sound of a V8 engine and it's inherent smooth enjoyable acceleration curve.

IF they can make a V6 turbo with the ponies and torque like the Ford Raptor V6, maybe... But I have to giggle every time I hear someone throttle their V6 Raptor and the awful sound it makes!

IF they can make a V6 turbo with the ponies and torque like the Ford Raptor V6, maybe... But I have to giggle every time I hear someone throttle their V6 Raptor and the awful sound it makes!
Wish for the hybrid instead of the turbo. More efficient and will be a legit way to save fuel. And yes, those 6cyl turbo engines all sound like s***...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom