Does LC300 release tell us anything about the upcoming release of GX / 4R / Prado? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally, tactile buttons for climate control and modern AV - the only dings for this truck in my book

Finally, tactile buttons for climate control and modern AV - the only dings for this truck in my book
Maybe haptic feedback buttons??

Maybe haptic feedback buttons??
Having to drill into the touchscreen to change the fan speed is the most dip**** thing they did on the GX originally. Tactile = can touch. Buttons. There are buttons on the dashboard for climate control.

2022 Brochure

Trivia piece if you haven't previously heard... physical fan control buttons were on the non-nav 10-13 models.

Notice Lexus is offering Console Vault as an accessory on their site now

screen_shot_2021_08_07_at_7_07_44_pm_12a1a6bc6d9a7f08c3656a35f191bae009071037.jpg

1_3249b7cd5450bc91d0a3b36ef336989696e7f7db.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 12.32.21 PM.png

Last edited:
2022 Brochure

Trivia piece if you haven't previously heard... physical fan control buttons were on the non-nav 10-13 models.

Notice Lexus is offering Console Vault as an accessory on their site now

screen_shot_2021_08_07_at_7_07_44_pm_12a1a6bc6d9a7f08c3656a35f191bae009071037.jpg

1_3249b7cd5450bc91d0a3b36ef336989696e7f7db.png
Just noticed that’s gonna be a rerouting needed for the vents on that new center stack if you were to want to try and retro fit one.

Just picked this up on Motortrend.

This article seems to imply the current 4Runner shares chassis with Fortuner and not the Prado. That is contrary to my understanding.
My impression was GX/4Runner/Prado all were on the same chassis build and they were all designated 150.

This article states future 4Runner will share chassis with Tacoma and Fortuner.

Just picked this up on Motortrend.

This article seems to imply the current 4Runner shares chassis with Fortuner and not the Prado. That is contrary to my understanding.
My impression was GX/4Runner/Prado all were on the same chassis build and they were all designated 150.

This article states future 4Runner will share chassis with Tacoma and Fortuner.
The current / 5th gen 4Runner is built on the Prado 150 series platform in the same factory in Japan.

The Fortuner is built in Thailand (and maybe other markets?) on the current Hilux platform.

I haven’t followed the details on the next gen Hilux and Tacoma but understand they will be based off Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA), so I would expect the next Prado/Lexus GX and 4Runner to share some underpinnings as well?

The current / 5th gen 4Runner is built on the Prado 150 series platform in the same factory in Japan.

The Fortuner is built in Thailand (and maybe other markets?) on the current Hilux platform.

I haven’t followed the details on the next gen Hilux and Tacoma but understand they will be based off Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA), so I would expect the next Prado/Lexus GX and 4Runner to share some underpinnings as well?
Is the Land Cruiser 300 equipped with ahc
Thanks in advance for the answers

Is the Land Cruiser 300 equipped with ahc
Thanks in advance for the answers
Great question! Short answer = I haven't seen anyone from Toyota or anyone referencing a Toyota quote mentioning AHC in the LC300.

I am holding out hope that the LX still has a hydraulic as opposed to an air shock system because I love the functionality for my use case (long road trips before getting to trails). Off road the AHC system is a step above any air based system (Porsche Cayenne, few different Land Rovers) that I have ever ridden in when you have it raised up. No, it does not ride like a set of long travel King's ... but it rides pretty well short of pre-running speeds, and it rides really well for something that has such a wide range of height adjustability on the fly.

The last posting in this thread was a while back. Since then, we have heard there will be a GX550 model. Let's revive this discussion.

When do we think the redesign will show up? Is model year 2023 still viable or are we talking model year 2024 for the GX?

The 550 designation means it will be a turbo 6 for sure. Can't imagine a turbo 4 getting a 550 label. The LX gets a 600 so a 550 is a detuned turbo 3.4 liter 6 cyl?

The last posting in this thread was a while back. Since then, we have heard there will be a GX550 model. Let's revive this discussion.

When do we think the redesign will show up? Is model year 2023 still viable or are we talking model year 2024 for the GX?

The 550 designation means it will be a turbo 6 for sure. Can't imagine a turbo 4 getting a 550 label. The LX gets a 600 so a 550 is a detuned turbo 3.4 liter 6 cyl?
The only way a vehicle as big as the GX's and LX's would get a 4 banger is if it was augmented with an electric motor and batteries as a hybrid.
And if they keep their naming convention the same, if they put a 4 cylinder in they may have to call it a GX240! (or whatever size 4 they put in) :rofl:

The fact that they just added a new nav and control center leads me to believe it’s going to be a 24 MY at the earliest… I don’t think they’d add that for just one model year. I’m betting the motor is out of the SR trim Tundra.

IMO: '24 earliest but some rumors are now hinting at '25 due to supply chain delays
Wouldn’t surprise me at all… they pushed like hell to get the 300/tundra out this year, but eventually they’ll need to delay some models. The fact that they refreshed the GX in 2020 and then again in 2022 is a key off

The only way a vehicle as big as the GX's and LX's would get a 4 banger is if it was augmented with an electric motor and batteries as a hybrid.
And if they keep their naming convention the same, if they put a 4 cylinder in they may have to call it a GX240! (or whatever size 4 they put in) :rofl:

A GX with the RAV4 Prime system (302hp ~451tq) with a second electric motor in the rear to total 4 electric motors and at least a 22kW battery would actually really make the GX pretty awesome. I would sell my 460 and buy one of those immediately. The only issue would be the ICE engine noise. The 2.5L I4 is pretty drone-y and harsh in Toyota branded products. It’s marginally better in Lexus branded products, but would need vast sound proofing improvement to satisfy the GX-level buyer. The V6 while smoother and quieter also sounds like s*** so they’d need to make it super quiet. Anyone have a new-ish RX450h that can chime in regarding the V6 engine noise from the cabin?

When I get my 2022 RAV4 Prime delivered to me hopefully this week I’ll be able to sample this idea first hand as the RAV4 Prime is quite heavy (~4,300lbs).

Reactions: r2m
We were debating the GX550 label on this thread earlier. With the release of Sequoia earlier today, one has to wonder if the 550 label is attached to the hybrid 3.4 motor after all. But there is a problem with this theory.

Twin Turbo Hybrid 3.4 in Sequoia has 437 hp
Twin Turbo 3.4 in LX600 has 409 hp

So there is no chance the GX550 will adapt the same Sequoia motor. That will put that with more hp than the LX.

Could there be a different detuned engine in the GX550?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom