Does anyone have a clue what is happening here... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. First post here, and it's one about an issue with my 2001 LC, which I've had for about a year now. Since I have had it, it's done this slip-out-of-gear thing about three other times (See video HERE).

It does it at highway speeds at around 2200 RPMs. Yesterday, it started doing it again, and continued to do so several times until I pulled off the highway, and had it towed back. Otherwise, it drives fine, the transmission shifts fine, and all fluids are good. The flashing light on the dash is a broken passenger seatbelt sensor -- which I will address soon. No other lights are indicating.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Seeking out a tech tomorrow.

Is the shifter popping forward to where you just pull it back into drive? Or are you having to do something else to get it back into drive?

No. It slips, engine revs and that’s it. Had someone on another message board propose an EOC issue. Kinda starting there.

I'd check transmission fluid first thing. Whereas I've seen engine misfire or breathing issues, seems like transmission or torque converter issues. We tend to see RPMs drop, before raising in those. Your RPMs just jumps up with a strange sound, points to down stream of engine.

It may be worth doing a full 12 qt flush. You may get lucky! Personally I only use Mobil 1 MV ATF, in the 98-02 models. A little less expensive is the new Mobil MV full synthetic ATF. I've had more than one come to me with bad transmission issue. I flushed and problem solved. In each case, best I could tell. Someone did a drain and fill in the past. Question becomes with what and did they top properly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom