Dobinsons rear leaf spring install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
79 FJ40, installing dobinsons rear springs toy-34, rear shackle appears too far inboard upon test fit. There is no load in the spring yet. Wondering if this will correct when load applied or go further inboard ? Attached pics. Any ideas?

IMG_20230509_110722719.jpg

IMG_20230509_110711252.jpg

Is the fixed end attached in those photos? Seems like the problem will get worse once weight is on there.

I have a 10/‘79 with newer Dobinsons. Had all kinds of fitment issues, eventually realized I had been sold the wrong springs. Happy to take measurements for you if that helps.

Is the fixed end attached in those photos? Seems like the problem will get worse once weight is on there.

I have a 10/‘79 with newer Dobinsons. Had all kinds of fitment issues, eventually realized I had been sold the wrong springs. Happy to take measurements for you if that helps.
That would be helpful, mine is a Sept 79, the fronts appear fine, the fixed end is attached

Emailed Dobinsons with pics. and they replied that once loaded and shocks installed the shackles will be in correct position. Im not picturing it but will try it.

Emailed Dobinsons with pics. and they replied that once loaded and shocks installed the shackles will be in correct position. Im not picturing it but will try it.
Hello @79er, did you find a solution?

I am in the same process 1982 BJ, and I have a rear issue that the axle is not centered, trying to find a solution. We already checked leaf position, and everything looks correct but we are off by 1.5".

I am using Dobinson front and rear,

this is the rear information;
LEAF SPRING 35mm Spring Eye
6 Leaves Raised Height (50mm Lift)
25mm Longer Main Leaf
TOY-035-R

Bj40Axel.jpg

Here are the two Dobinson breakdown parts, depending on the Fj year, so you can check if what you have is correct.

Attachments

• FJ40 25mm.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 41
  • FJ40 35mm.pdf
    121 KB · Views: 43
Hello @79er, did you find a solution?

I am in the same process 1982 BJ, and I have a rear issue that the axle is not centered, trying to find a solution. We already checked leaf position, and everything looks correct but we are off by 1.5".

I am using Dobinson front and rear,

this is the rear information;
LEAF SPRING 35mm Spring Eye
6 Leaves Raised Height (50mm Lift)
25mm Longer Main Leaf
TOY-035-R

View attachment 3382606

I redrilled the perch hangers to center the rear axle.

I am in the same process 1982 BJ, and I have a rear issue that the axle is not centered, trying to find a solution.
That’s normal with lifted springs, axle goes back when suspension is compressed.

I have not placed the body on the frame yet, only the axle,. We will see how this looks once the weight of the body compresses the springs. It will be some time. I still have ot of work to do on the chassis yet.

I have not placed the body on the frame yet, only the axle,. We will see how this looks once the weight of the body compresses the springs. It will be some time. I still have ot of work to do on the chassis yet.
Yours are short, measure along the spring if if they are even possible to reach to the proper angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom