Dobinson MRR (A) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sonofaskipper

SILVER Star
Threads
Anybody running these on their trucks yet? I’m running them on a light truck. No armor, Bowfin rack, awning. Curious what setting guys are running with a similar light set up.

Currently running
Front:
LSC, 6 clicks out from full closed
HSC, wide open
Rebound, 4 clicks out from full closed

Rear:
LSC, 2 out
HSC, wide open
Rebound, 2 out

Ive been running this for my daily driving/highway/mountain pavement driving. Truck is fully loaded around 7500# currently. Ive been very impressed with the adjustable rebound and low speed compression adjustments. The truck feels like it’s on rails, considering its a loaded coil sprung 4” lifted truck. I look forward to opening up the damping on some bumpy trails and want to see how it handles controlling the bouncing of the body I previously always had with my Icon 2.5s on slower crawling. hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:
anybody can show me some pics of how to mount the reservoirs to the rear and front shocks?

This is obviously not the rear end of an 80 series!

1623460418536.png

Their 80 gallery page shows no shocks mounting, unfortunately.

anybody can show me some pics of how to mount the reservoirs to the rear and front shocks?

This is obviously not the rear end of an 80 series!

View attachment 2701298

Their 80 gallery page shows no shocks mounting, unfortunately.
Oh man, this is gonna be a good night. Look at those beautiful vixens and they came prepared, no less !

Queue the Barry White music.......

Wait, looks like they already started w/o me :rolleyes: But, no rear end action tonight ladies, as my bum is still sore from the initial acquisition :eek:

Just a warning ladies, @baldilocks might wanna take a crack at y'all, 'cause he's sick and twisted AF. BTW, your besties have already been well taken care of by @Shoredreamer, so don't you worry none. :hillbilly:

View attachment 2698523

Wait a second! Now you got her in bed and you want to know how to "Mount" her? :rofl: Wait a minute, I will be right over to show you! :p

Currently running
Front:
HSC, wide open

Rear:
LSC, 2 out
HSC, wide open
Rebound, 2 out

Ive been running this for my daily driving/highway/mountain pavement driving. Truck is fully loaded around 7500# currently. Ive been very impressed with the adjustable rebound and low speed compression adjustments. The truck feels like it’s on rails, considering its a loaded coil sprung 4” lifted truck. I look forward to opening up the damping on some bumpy trails and want to see how it handles controlling the bouncing of the body I previously always had with my Icon 2.5s on slower crawling. hopefully this weekend.
What springs are you running? Definitely update when you put them to work!

Don’t forget the anti twist washer in the front. They forgot to add it in the drawing.

Looks like they added to the instructions now.

1623469391495.png

Hope you did pre/post fender measurement to fender. I’m still sure they are adding lift here.

Yup I got some measurements for other purpose but it was timely. Thanks!

Here are the fronts mounted up with the universal bracket provided - 5 min job with an angle grinder to get them to fit - the good folks at Dobinsons can provide instructions.

Rears use the piggyback mount to the shock tube.

9DB97FE9-367F-4EFD-A8FF-A856FE8BD71E.jpeg

Ok, thanks for the visual. So, you still have to modify the supplied bracket, interesting.

The rear ones were easy to install but I'd have liked to have a pair of those clamps per shocks for a more secure feel. As it stands, the reservoirs feels ok but not great as they can move around a tad so I put two additional zip ties per shock. I'm drawing my experience from the previous set of Bilstein 7100s with resis and they have two points of attaching the resis to the shock body using a hose clamp. This was a good way to secure the resis, I thought.

1623498978499.png

@unclegit @on the rocks
what settings are you using?

What do you grind on the front? The driver side steering column shield bracket? I just sandwiched mine under the bracket and added a washer to the rear. Seems to work fine.
for the settings the shocks come with a good printout for loads and driving situation. I think I went on the light side but pretty sure I got 1/2” to 3/4” lift from these compared to others with the vvt’s so turned them all the way down to start. I will be lucky to drive it yet in a few weeks.

I'll check my total height after I finish up with the fronts. On my first drive this morning, the rig is wallowing a lot so I've been tightening down the rebound and slow speed comp adjusters. Still need to tweak it some more.

@on the rocks
What's the VVT you mentioned? Typo?

Ok, thanks for the visual. So, you still have to modify the supplied bracket, interesting.

@unclegit @on the rocks
what settings are you using?
What do you grind on the front? The driver side steering column shield bracket? I just sandwiched mine under the bracket and added a washer to the rear. Seems to work fine.
for the settings the shocks come with a good printout for loads and driving situation. I think I went on the light side but pretty sure I got 1/2” to 3/4” lift from these compared to others with the vvt’s so turned them all the way down to start. I will be lucky to drive it yet in a few weeks.
Just the universal bracket - massaged it to fit around the “dome” on top of the spring perch.
2 mins with a flapper disk, primer and paint was all it took. No big deal and it’s solid as a rock.

EC169F11-D43A-4E68-94B2-8E17B601D385.jpeg

83B05370-AF45-4BB0-B531-D8EFE9E0FB82.jpeg

Just the universal bracket - massaged it to fit around the “dome” on top of the spring perch.
2 mins with a flapper disk, primer and paint was all it took. No big deal and it’s solid as a rock.

View attachment 2702080
View attachment 2702083

cool. Did you just drill a hole on your new brackets then use one of the bolts that's already up there? I used one of the single bolt, and cut a little bit of the bracket off.

Yup just drilled the hole 15mm ish from the weld point and dead center on the bracket and used the existing bolt to mount.

You can see how much of the bracket I cut off in the first pic - then just used a Diablo flapper wheel on the grinder to shape the metal and round it off.

I need to stop this pig from wallowing so much 🙄.

I keep cranking up the LSC
Currently running
Front:
HSC, wide open

Rear:
LSC, 2 out
HSC, wide open
Rebound, 2 out

Well, the weekend passed so let's hear your impression 😁

I need to stop this pig from wallowing so much 🙄. I Ieep cranking up the LSC and rebound settings.

I need to stop this pig from wallowing so much 🙄.

I keep cranking up the LSC

Well, the weekend passed so let's hear your impression 😁

I need to stop this pig from wallowing so much 🙄. I Ieep cranking up the LSC and rebound settings.
Dang why you gotta be so far away in NM haha. Be good to see your setup. Maybe we meet in Utah?? :D:D:D

Seriously though, I have had these on the last 12 months and 12 trips in that time. Aside from a lackluster front reservoir mounting setup, I have been happy with them.

The biggest improvement i have noticed when comparing to other shocks i have ran is the body lean when on mountain roads and highways at speed. The truck just doesn’t pitch sideways nearly like it used to. My commute to work is a 4 lane 10 mile 2000’ pass windy highway thru the forest with 50 mph speed limit. It is a great testing ground for highway handling and again, with a 4’ lift and heavy 80, these shocks (along with the Delta Panhard, +4* caster, and the rear Whiteline HD sway) give me the best control and lack of lean as good as I have found with my weight and height. Again, low speed compression is the setting that controls the body lean.

Doing bumpy 4 low trails or light rock crawling has also been where I have noticed a big change. There is rarely an extra rebound cycle as I have rebound set fairly slow when on slow trails. The worst feeling is having extra bounce when climbing a tricky ledge or narrow off camber hill. My old Icon 2.5s were weak in this department and had trouble controlling that big old body, giving an extra rock and roll where you never wanted it. I ran Dear Valley trail last year as the break in for these last year with 4 other 80s and they all commented on how well the truck was moving and not bouncing, especially since I was the heavy one in the group haha. Our last trip 2 weeks ago, my 2 kids slept thru the last 1/2 of Elephant Hill with these haha.

Faster corrugated roads are another important place where shocks matter. The MRRs have done equally well for the most part in this type terrain. I have the front inner bump spacer spaced down 30mm to ensure I clear the compressed length of the 6” shocks. With 4” lift I still have a good ratio of up vs down travel at that spec. On the rear I added the Timbren setup with a 2.5” spacer to be my bump stop. These are meant to replace the rear inner coil bump since with a bump stop spacer, those don’t get used anymore. The Timbrens give a nice feel with the common wash crossing or approaching whoops. I have yet to have a harsh hit in back. Bottom out also has a lot to do with the spring you are running and based on lift and coil compression ratio, I think my 144vt and 319 coils are doing the job.

Settings may be tricky or take some time to setup. I would suggest playing around a little more. Definitely make sure the controls work also. Run a loop fully open then fully closed, then adjust from there. That is what I have always done with my past in the mountain bike world. I also don’t think you can fully get rid of all the body movements with our type of setup, but I would hope you feel an improvement. Btw, I have full rubber bushing controls arms. Not sure what else may be in play that can cause a diff in the ride. Remind me of your coils you are on?

Dang why you gotta be so far away in NM haha. Be good to see your setup. Maybe we meet in Utah?? :D:D:D

Seriously though, I have had these on the last 12 months and 12 trips in that time. Aside from a lackluster front reservoir mounting setup, I have been happy with them.

The biggest improvement i have noticed when comparing to other shocks i have ran is the body lean when on mountain roads and highways at speed. The truck just doesn’t pitch sideways nearly like it used to. My commute to work is a 4 lane 10 mile 2000’ pass windy highway thru the forest with 50 mph speed limit. It is a great testing ground for highway handling and again, with a 4’ lift and heavy 80, these shocks (along with the Delta Panhard, +4* caster, and the rear Whiteline HD sway) give me the best control and lack of lean as good as I have found with my weight and height. Again, low speed compression is the setting that controls the body lean.

Doing bumpy 4 low trails or light rock crawling has also been where I have noticed a big change. There is rarely an extra rebound cycle as I have rebound set fairly slow when on slow trails. The worst feeling is having extra bounce when climbing a tricky ledge or narrow off camber hill. My old Icon 2.5s were weak in this department and had trouble controlling that big old body, giving an extra rock and roll where you never wanted it. I ran Dear Valley trail last year as the break in for these last year with 4 other 80s and they all commented on how well the truck was moving and not bouncing, especially since I was the heavy one in the group haha. Our last trip 2 weeks ago, my 2 kids slept thru the last 1/2 of Elephant Hill with these haha.

Faster corrugated roads are another important place where shocks matter. The MRRs have done equally well for the most part in this type terrain. I have the front inner bump spacer spaced down 30mm to ensure I clear the compressed length of the 6” shocks. With 4” lift I still have a good ratio of up vs down travel at that spec. On the rear I added the Timbren setup with a 2.5” spacer to be my bump stop. These are meant to replace the rear inner coil bump since with a bump stop spacer, those don’t get used anymore. The Timbrens give a nice feel with the common wash crossing or approaching whoops. I have yet to have a harsh hit in back. Bottom out also has a lot to do with the spring you are running and based on lift and coil compression ratio, I think my 144vt and 319 coils are doing the job.

Settings may be tricky or take some time to setup. I would suggest playing around a little more. Definitely make sure the controls work also. Run a loop fully open then fully closed, then adjust from there. That is what I have always done with my past in the mountain bike world. I also don’t think you can fully get rid of all the body movements with our type of setup, but I would hope you feel an improvement. Btw, I have full rubber bushing controls arms. Not sure what else may be in play that can cause a diff in the ride. Remind me of your coils you are on?

Dude,

When I lived in Fremont, I used to burn up that hwy in my convertible Mustang GT 5.0. Oh man, the memories....and I had more hair back then ...SIGH.....

So, you wanna meet me at Devil's kitchen thursday? I got a permit and have a slot open. Guess you better start driving NOW! :rofl:

Thanks for the real world feedback, much appreciated the effort. The lean with this suspension is rather dramatic as compared to the Ironman 4x4 FCP shocks but I'm trying to patient and understand these shocks. My 15yo daughter and I both noticed the amount of body lean is way more than we're used to so I keep dialing in the LSC on every trip and that asphalt here is stupid hot, even with a towel :bang: Given that I have Whiteline sway bars F+R, I'm rather surprised at the amount of lean on the asphalt. This trip to UT will teach me about these shocks, I have no doubt. I'm going to beat on my junk w/o mercy.

Do you find yourself tinkering with the adjustment anymore after 12mos later? Below are your #s so I'm going to be following them as a start. Just wanted a little clarification: "LSC 2 out" - what does this mean? Maybe 2 clicks from fully closed? I'm thinking that's it as you want the swaying to be a lot less and LSC needs to be cranked in quite a bit for this to happen. Just confirming!

Currently running
Front:
HSC, wide open

Rear:
LSC, 2 out
HSC, wide open
Rebound, 2 out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom