Do you trust your 80 for travel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last summer we took the 80 to Palm Desert with a CEL (EGR Valve)on. It was packed with 8 people and had their luggage on top. A/C was on full blast the whole time because it was 125 outside. The 80 did fine. After Palm Desert we went to Las Vegas, then up to Reno and finally back home to San Jose. There were no problems or hiccups.

I had it smogged recently after a tune up( Thanks cdan) and the smog tech commented how nice the truck looked and ran. He was also amazed how it had 205k on the ODO too.

Oh yeah I trust my FZJ80.

I think whether you trust your vehicle or not has a lot to do with your knowledge of it and how to fix it just in case something does go wrong. I took my 97 with 165k miles and the original head gasket through 17 countries, and 29k miles without hesitation. i wouldn't have chosen ANY other vehicle to do so. Because it was first and foremost a land cruiser, but also because I was responsible for 95% of the mods that had been done to it. Driving to an elevation of 17,900 feet 3 hours from the nearest 'town' in the middle of the atacama desert takes trust in your machine. The 80 was the best option out there for me. I bought it from a Mudder (thanks bret) 4 years ago with the express purpose of taking the the trip and aside from hitting stuff going way too fast the truck has been everything I anticipated it being.

Now you would never catch me driving a flood recovery 80 I picked up 2 months ago on the trip but it wouldn't stop me from daily driving it or even out in the desert. Knowing how the rig works is a major factor of trusting it. That way you're not panicked by driveline vibration or an EGR CEL. Like those cheesy NBC commercial say, the more you know...

If I say I trust the 80 for a long trip, the Cruiser gods will smite me for my arrogance. If I say I do not, the Cruiser gods will find my lack of faith . . . disturbing.

It's best not to trifle with the Cruiser gods.

Had to move recently and needed a truck to tow a loaded trailer with all the heavy stuff the van couldn't lug. I found a '94 w/ 208k, bought it, promptly had the (sole remaining) twin belt snap. Replaced it, hooked up the trailer, and drove for 12hr. Oh, I also did an oil change. BUT the whole way we kept pulling stuff off the van and its trailer and more heavily loading the 80. It pulled 75mph, with trailer springs sagging, while the van had to draft.

Great rigs, says the NEWB REVIEW.

I'm in the middle of a road trip this week from Minneapolis to Chicago, driving all around Chicago, then up the lake shore (Michigan) through Green Bay to a little cabin in the woods conveniently located near the Mountain pipeline and McCauslin Mountain off road area. Then back to the twin cities - high gas prices, crappy economy and all I still chose the LX450 over the little Subaru for the trip. Getting a solid 16 mpg all the way. PHH has not been done and neither has the HG (looking for wood to knock on). Just gave her a tire rotation and fresh oil change and she's running wonderfully. Only problem is a little pulse in the brake. The more time I spend behind the wheel the more I realize why I drive it over the other options.

I trust my 80 more than anyother car or truck availible. honda, g-wagon, unimog, ford, chev, you name it.

I watched my best friend CROSS THE JUMPERS WHILE JUMPING MY TRUCK TODAY:mad::mad:, I diddnt realize it at first, hopped in and turned the key- it is now an open circuit with the opposite volatge running through the system. nothing happend so i jumped out and realized what we had just done. :censor::whoops:

The cables were too hot to touch, but a used my sweater to take them off. checked everything and it looked fine, no burnt wires or nothing.....:meh: hooked the cables back up properly this time (did it myself) and it started first try. absolutly flawlessly. Ive never seen a tougher or more fool proof truck.:flipoff2:

Ive seen broncos that had the same thing happen to them and it cost hundreds to repair and the truck was stranded and had to be towed.

Name any city in north america and I could confidentlydrive there right now.:D

A properly Honda and Toyota never let me down. I put 40k miles on my Accord annually, never once breakdown. This is my 3rd 80 cruiser, use it for long trip and offroad trip. I will drive from Houston to San Francisco roundtrip with no worry. I did it before none stop with no problem except stopping for gas and add a bit of engine oil. That's it. But first of all, get all your maintenance done, especially hoses, they deteriorate as the truck is more than 10 yrs old now.

fixin to drive the Beast to Chicago for the weekend. I trust it 100%

No Problem

I have done regular maintenaince after basing all fluids ie things that are noted to happen at certain times (front knuckle rebuild) and I would drive anywhere I could if I had to. I havedriven my 94' 80 from the east coast to California, Arizona, Texas, North Dakota, and Michigan and back with no problems. I would not do it with my newer car. (well maybe now that gas is more expensive)

I recently bought a 97 LX450 new car brochure off ebay. Why wasn't it chock full of testimonials like this thread? :hillbilly:

The brochure is a compliment to my New 97 LX450 with 150K miles purchased at the Lexus dealer. Ask yourself how many new car dealers would put an 11-year-old, 150K-mile vehicle on their lot (no, this LX wasn't originally sold by this dealer).

Why would anyone have the faith to buy an 11-year-old, 150K-mile vehicle? Well, in my case because it was replacing our 1988 FJ62 with 177K & 18 years of ownership without ever stranding us on the road. There was a time when I was a-retentive on maintenance with the FJ62, there were years when I wasn't. Never heard it complain.

The new 80? Threw the CEL codes for EGR & O2 sensor once we got it home. Told :princess: to drive it until I go through the EGR / VSV / vacuum route HULA. Ordered the sensors, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, vacuum hose, belts, shocks, fuel pump relay (a-retentiveness returns) from CDan. So far, I've changed the oil & filter & replaced the AC belt (who put a cogged belt on our LX?). Planning a cruise to Golden for front axle maintenance. Wife negotiated Lexus dealer down $4K to cover anticipated maintenance costs. Will likely ignore what others have posted as minor nuisance. CD changer throws an error code. Cassette still plays 33-year-old cassettes of 39-year-old LPs (note to self: run tape cleaner ASAP).

Wife is planning a 400 mile solo trip today. I haven't asked her if she's taking the LX450 or the 00 Tundra we've had since 99. [EDIT]She took the LX450.[/EDIT]

What was it Alfred E. Neuman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia said, What, me worry?
150px-Alfred_E._Neumann.jpg

Last edited:
Completed this trip with 200K on the ticker.

Not a single issue after a complete PM job.

I would jump in and do it again tomorrow.

Of course, I carry a few tools and extras. :D

I recently bought a 97 LX450 new car brochure off ebay. Why wasn't it chock full of testimonials like this thread? :hillbilly:

The brochure is a compliment to my New 97 LX450 with 150K miles purchased at the Lexus dealer. Ask yourself how many new car dealers would put an 11-year-old, 150K-mile vehicle on their lot (no, this LX wasn't originally sold by this dealer).

Why would anyone have the faith to buy an 11-year-old, 150K-mile vehicle? Well, in my case because it was replacing our 1988 FJ62 with 177K & 18 years of ownership without ever stranding us on the road. There was a time when I was a-retentive on maintenance with the FJ62, there were years when I wasn't. Never heard it complain.

The new 80? Threw the CEL codes for EGR & O2 sensor once we got it home. Told :princess: to drive it until I go through the EGR / VSV / vacuum route HULA. Ordered the sensors, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, vacuum hose, belts, shocks, fuel pump relay (a-retentiveness returns) from CDan. So far, I've changed the oil & filter & replaced the AC belt (who put a cogged belt on our LX?). Planning a cruise to Golden for front axle maintenance. Wife negotiated Lexus dealer down $4K to cover anticipated maintenance costs. Will likely ignore what others have posted as minor nuisance. CD changer throws an error code. Cassette still plays 33-year-old cassettes of 39-year-old LPs (note to self: run tape cleaner ASAP).

Wife is planning a 400 mile solo trip today. I haven't asked her if she's taking the LX450 or the 00 Tundra we've had since 99.

What was it Alfred E. Neuman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia said, What, me worry?

My 92 came out of a dealer that specializes in high end luxury and sports cars. My 80 was product of a trade-in for a 08 Mercedes G55 and I believe mine was the cheapest car in the lot. The dealer had mine in the showroom area! next to the Astons, Porches and Ferraris. For some reason my eyes were moving away from the cruiser, but the window sticker on those cars brought me back to reality. :lol:

My 92 came out of a dealer that specializes in high end luxury and sports cars. My 80 was product of a trade-in for a 08 Mercedes G55 and I believe mine was the cheapest car in the lot. The dealer had mine in the showroom area! next to the Astons, Porches and Ferraris. For some reason my eyes were moving away from the cruiser, but the window sticker on those cars brought me back to reality. :lol:

Your fleshy font is big and pretty.

I completely trust my 80 for travel. I have made two rather long trips, both +1500 miles and dozens of 300-600 mile trips in the last year and have had no issues. At the end of the month I am leaving for a two week vacation to Bismarck, ND and Twin City's MN and other than an oil change and tire rotation and will be good to go. I am going to do a coolant flush and install a new thermostat as well. I have performed most of the recommended PM, except for the front axle rebuild which I am planning to do over the winter. Despite the less than ideal mileage, an 80 is the ultimate road trip vehicle.

I go to FL several times a year, I check the fluids and pressures and go, never had a problem,

TO the original poster, none of the problems you mention are of much concern, they did not stop vehicle or even slow it down on the trip, none indicate impending doom, the 80 got you where you needed to go and needed maintenance that could be done later at your convenience.

Well maybe the oil light but adding a quart of oil is not that big a deal, you should have checked the oil before leaving on a long trip anyway

Last edited:
What I like about the cruiser is the ability to limp home. I have driven home with a cracked head, bad head gasket, bad 02 sensor, marginal fuel pump. No other car has got me home with such problems.

In Zambia, and indeed much of Africa, the cruiser (and especially the 80 series as it doesn't have too much electricery) is THE most trusted vehicle you can buy. Sure, things may fail with age, but at least most things can be "get you home" fixed at the roadside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom