Do you tow an Airstream? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah, I can see why leveling it would accentuate the sag now. Even without load, the front wheel well gap is somewhat larger.

Back to the point, that's an awesome off the beaten path combination. Probably got a lot of attention on the road.

How did you guys sleep?

I think I could make a family of 4 work in that setup. 2 car camping in the back of the LC, and 2 in the AS.

Ah, I can see why leveling it would accentuate the sag now. Even without load, the front wheel well gap is somewhat larger.

Back to the point, that's an awesome off the beaten path combination. Probably got a lot of attention on the road.

How did you guys sleep?

I think I could make a family of 4 work in that setup. 2 car camping in the back of the LC, and 2 in the AS.

We've really enjoyed the Basecamp. Aside from the rear sag on the LC and minimal rear vision, it's almost like it's not even there while towing it. After a few thousand miles with it, I haven't had it sway at all even with high winds. I just ordered the dometic towing mirrors to help out with rear vision. We've run through most of our "from the factory" issues and after a few trips back to our dealer in Dallas, we're enjoying our time. Going back out this upcoming weekend. The bench fold-out bed padding is inadequate, so we purchased a foam mattress topper. It sleeps myself and wife just fine. We even fit our baby's pack-n-play in the door with enough room to open the bathroom door or get to the kitchen during the night, which surprised us that there was enough room. We expect once the kids get old enough, we'll either put them in the tents that mount on the side/rear, let them sleep in the LC, or put them in a roof-top tent on the LC. We're actively trying to work on our "boondocking" game and find places to go off-grid for a few days at a time.

Last edited:
We've really enjoyed the Basecamp. Aside from the rear sag on the LC and minimal rear vision, it's almost like it's not even there while towing it. After a few thousand miles with it, I haven't had it sway at all even with high winds. I just ordered the dometic towing mirrors to help out with rear vision. We've run through most of our "from the factory" issues and after a few trips back to our dealer in Dallas, we're enjoying our time. Going back out this upcoming weekend. The bench fold-out bed padding is inadequate, so we purchased a foam mattress topper. It sleeps myself and wife just fine. We even fit our baby's pack-n-play in the door with enough room to open the bathroom door or get to the kitchen during the night, which surprised us that there was enough room. We expect once the kids get old enough, we'll either put them in the tents that mount on the side/rear, let them sleep in the LC, or put them in a roof-top tent on the LC. We're actively trying to work on our "boondocking" game and find places to go off-grid for a few days at a time.

View attachment 1930657
I‘m planning to rent a base camp for a couple of weeks for a trip through Colorado and Utah. I’m new to towing, Any tips on towing it with the 200.

If 6-speed, keep it in 4th so overdrive doesn't engage. Transmission temps will thank you. I believe it's 6th for the 8-speed trucks.

Just did 1000 miles over the weekend pulling a 6000lb Oliver. Pretty much flat Interstate, 2800 rpms at 65mph, 2013 LX 570. 11mpg. Colorado will be a joy this summer. ;)

Previously had a Casita 17', similar to the Basecamp. Casita was around 3000lbs. Didn't really know it was there, though gas mileage climbing or in headwinds was still pretty bad.

2021 Heritage L/C 200 and 2021 Basecamp 20 X w/weight distributing hitch works great. The very experienced Airstream dealer recommended WD hitch and said nothing else is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom