Do you have a pickup? (1 Viewer)

Do you need a pickup truck in addition to your Cruiser?

• Yes, I'll never subject my Cruiser for such menial tasks.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Occasionally, but for the most part my Cruiser is up to the task.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, I use the Cruiser for everything: hauling mulch, towing stuff, haulin' gear, and haulin' ass!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I never need a truck, so my Cruiser is just for wheelin'

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.davidmichelle.org
Guys and Gals,

I was wondering how many of y'all use your Cruiser as the family truck? I have a fullsize pickup now, and was thinking that I only really use it as a truck about 5 times a year, and of those times, maybe 1 is something that I couldn't do with a FJ40 and a trailer. I don't see me being able to keep 2 sub 20mpg rigs with gas approaching $3/gal, so the truck may have to go if I wanna get a FJ40.

For instance, yesterday I hauled 2 scoops of mulch in the truck, and I imagine that a FJ40 with a small trailer would handle that just as easily.

David

Last edited:
I had a crewcab diesel, but it went away with my ex-wife...I miss it and she traded it in so it is gone forever! :(

I've got a truck (crew cab titan) and I can't imagine not having some sort of pickup around. Now, if I were to build/find a good reliable FJ45, then that might be another story :)

Tim

gotta have a truck because the cruiser cannot do this:
towinbonanza-1.jpg

I couldn't live without a pickup truck because I own a Shoveithead Harley FOFL.
Actually I have three PUs, two are deadlined for being unnecessary. But I've been playing with the idea of turning my street pickup into a beater trail buggy. It's an '86 Toyota 4wd. Take a little heat off the FJC, she's beginning to look used real fast.
If I do I'll revive the Chevy (86 Silverado 305) or the Ford (71 Custom with 78 Mustang 302 HP, toploader 4spd and posi).

i got a taco and am debating selling it which only makes me realize how much i need it. ( landscape industry ) so if it goes i feel it will be replaced by another before too long. having two gas hogs does get to me, but when the taco was down i was using the 80 to haul plants, pumbing supplies, about 17 tons of stone ( one at a time) in a trailer. i know i got if for trailing but i hate getting the new leather dirty and smelling damp carpet and a sweaty dude the following morning. plus i need something to pull the pig before too long.

Thanks for the input guys. I always get touchy when thinking about selling the truck. But, I don't work out of it, and only use it around the house. It has served me very well, probably the most reliable vehicle I could ever ask for. It can sit for months and I get in, and it'll turn right over. But, I know I can't think about having only it (1995 Chevy Silverado 2wd with 305) and a FJ40 as my modes of transport when I travel 40 miles a day for work. I still don't have a clue...:frown:

I also have a Tacoma and It saves me a lot of headache when I need to haul something that maybe a little to big for the 40.

I have 3 SUVs... a xterra, s-10 blazer and my TLC... I have not had the need for a truck that one of my parents (or in laws) trailers and my SUVs cannot handle

I've put about 55 bags of mulch in the back of my cruiser.....It is a truck with the back inclosed... Tried getting them to dump mulch into the back and they wouldn't.

I've put about 55 bags of mulch in the back of my cruiser.....It is a truck with the back inclosed... Tried getting them to dump mulch into the back and they wouldn't.

only problem here is your mulch cost you probably 3 bucks a bag ( hopefully not 4) at 3 cubic ft. each, so 9 bags per cubic yard. 9 into 55 gives you roughly 6 yards. 55 bags was 165 bucks at $3 and 220 at $4, where as 6 yards bulk would be about 96 bucks. I used to regularly load a customer w/ 2yrd mulch or 1 yrd soil (2k #'s) in a small trailer behind his 40. sorry couldnt help, had this conversation w/ a client today who keeps buying bags but needs a tandem load in reality. but then again nothing about cruisers are really cheap anyways.

you really fit 55 bags in a cruiser, i can only get like 30 some in the taco with the shell:eek:

only problem here is your mulch cost you probably 3 bucks a bag ( hopefully not 4) at 3 cubic ft. each, so 9 bags per cubic yard. 9 into 55 gives you roughly 6 yards. 55 bags was 165 bucks at $3 and 220 at $4, where as 6 yards bulk would be about 96 bucks. I used to regularly load a customer w/ 2yrd mulch or 1 yrd soil (2k #'s) in a small trailer behind his 40. sorry couldnt help, had this conversation w/ a client today who keeps buying bags but needs a tandem load in reality. but then again nothing about cruisers are really cheap anyways.

you really fit 55 bags in a cruiser, i can only get like 30 some in the taco with the shell:eek:

On sale for $2 a bag (cypress), had them stuffed to the top with rear seats down....wish I had a place to store a trailer, that would be ideal for me. side note we used cypress shreds a few years ago but the only place I can find it has a minimum of 30 yards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom