Do the 1HD-T and 1HD-FT run the same turbo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are the OEM CT26 turbos on the 1HD-T and 1HD-FT motors the same spec? If not what are the differences and what would the implication be of running a 1HD-FT turbo on a 1HD-T?

I'm pretty sure they both use the same configuration of the Landcruiser CT26 turbo. I'm sure someone else will have a definitive answer. Here is a pic of the OEM turbo on my old 1997 1HD-FT powered beast. :)

1HD-FTct26.jpg
1HD-FTct26.jpg

Hey Tapage - maybe minor differences if you have access to a machine shop/welder. When I was sourcing one for my HD-T, there were much cheaper 1HD-tFE turbos on eBay.au. When I posted this very question on 80'sCool, it seemed it was the same price with modification to the housing/wastegate/downpipe to get the proper One. Hope that helps.

If you have a core to exchange, check Japan or OZ (pm for some links). I didn't have a core due to a cracked housing so had to buy new - not rebuilt. Good luck!

both are CT-26, but i think the 1HD-FT is a larger impeller. I think the 1HDFTE is different also.

1HDFTE is having a totally different turbo from CT26. For sure!:D

They are CT26 on the 1HD-FTE.
Graeme Bentink has all the figures, but honestly if you need a new turbo I'd just shoot for one of his Super CT26 hybrids.

They are CT26 on the 1HD-FTE.
Graeme Bentink has all the figures, but honestly if you need a new turbo I'd just shoot for one of his Super CT26 hybrids.

Any photos to prove your statement? Must be from factory not mod, please!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
This proved to me that your statement is WRONG. FTE does not comes with CT26 from factory, for sure. CT26 is till FT only. FTE is upgraded to a bearing turbo.
TOYOTA LANDCRUISER 4.2 LITRE TURBO & MANIFOLD (eBay item 370521523131 end time 03-Jul-11 15:25:20 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
This is FTE turbo. You look at carefully! Any different? Shape and inside are all different.

I have no idea what you are on or what your agenda is.
That auction shows a CT26 off a 1HD-FTE. No surprises there. They are not ball bearing.

The CT26 is a range of turbos used on landcruiser, supra's and a whole lot of other toyotas. The housings and flanges vary as there is not one turbo known as a CT26.

Dougal said:

I'm with Dougal here. CT26 comes in a variety of outer arrangements and inner sizings over a wide range of models.

Open minded forumites will have learned from the many recent postings about turbos that a) standard is not necessarily optimal and that b) gbentink provides an excellent bolt on upgrade to any standard CT26.

Tim

My plan is to go with one of Graeme's units - I've made contact with him already. The turbo that is currently on my motor is leaking oil past the seals and I know of a turbo off a 1HD-FT that is available and just wanted to find out if it would bolt up ok so I could use it in the mean time.. I heard from the guy that is helping me with the build that he has found another one to use for now so I am sorted... I think;)

Thanks guys that was a lively to-and-fro there :popcorn:

Good to hear you're sorted for now.

It was such a simple query really wasn't it! :)

Hey Trock, if your current turbo is leaking oil then check crankcase pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom