Do some 60's come with a solid spacer in the rear diff instead of a crush spacer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
About to change the rear diff seal because it is leaking and doing my research on ih8mud to prepare. I read that some older 60's came with a solid spacer and the newers with a crush washer. Is this true? I own a 82 fj60. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, true. I changed mine to a solid spacer when the diff was removed and rebuilt.

If you're just going to change the pinion seal, count and mark the number of threads on the pinon, that are showing and re-tighten the nut to that exact spot. If you try to re-torque to the factory spec, it will be too tight and you'll have to replace the crush washer.

Ask me how I know.

:rolleyes:

Yes, true. I changed mine to a solid spacer when the diff was removed and rebuilt.

If you're just going to change the pinion seal, count and mark the number of threads on the pinon, that are showing and re-tighten the nut to that exact spot. If you try to re-torque to the factory spec, it will be too tight and you'll have to replace the crush washer.

Ask me how I know.

:rolleyes:
So even if my 1982 comes with a solid spacer from the factory , I should play it safe and retighten the nut at the same spot as you suggested anyways?

I don't remember when the change-over was, but yes, I would just put the new stake nut back to the same place and then check preload, to be safe. The idea behind the Solid spacer is preload is adjusted with shims, the crush washer spacer, preload is adjusted by 'squishing' the spacer. Since either one is already where it's supposed to be, putting the nut back to where it was will get you close, if not there ...

Sorry for the revival, but posting to clarify for any others doing searches like me in the middle of a pinion seal job:

• Model year 1980-84 FJ60's came with solid spacer.
    • Solid spacer can be re-torqued to spec (144-173 ft/lbs).
  • Model year 1985-90 FJ60 and 62 came with the crush sleeve.
    • Recommended to use new crush sleeve then torque to correct pinion preload
    • Unofficial: others have reported success tightening the stake nut back to the original position by counting threads, turns, etc.

Sorry for the revival, but posting to clarify for any others doing searches like me in the middle of a pinion seal job:

• Model year 1980-84 FJ60's came with solid spacer.
    • Solid spacer can be re-torqued to spec (144-173 ft/lbs).
  • Model year 1985-90 FJ60 and 62 came with the crush sleeve.
    • Recommended to use new crush sleeve then torque to correct pinion preload
    • Unofficial: others have reported success tightening the stake nut back to the original position by counting threads, turns, etc.
This is a great revival because I need to do this on my 82 60. Thanks for sifting this one back to the top!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom