Do I buy a 73 or a 76 ? (1 Viewer)

I´ve been sniffing round BJ/LJ 73s for a few months. I like the 73. Firstly cos it´s a 70 series, and specifically cos its the right wheelbase and has removeable hardtop with factory rollcage and doors convertible to half height. It fits my needs pretty well. I also like the fact there is some commonality with the 40 series models that I´ve become familiar with.

But now I´ve also seen an LJ76 with some light accident damage for about the same price as a scruffy LJ73. Not sure how much I´d like it but am tempted to buy it, fix it, sell it and put the money and experience into a 73.

What are peoples experiences with the bigger 76? Will I grow to love it and end up wanting to keep it? I want to use my 70 series as an almost daily driver, on the road for 30 - 60 mins at a time, and also for several-hour long stints offroad, using it as a work vehicle to lump rocks around, and haul building materials about, and have a bit of fun in places that need the offroad ability of a landcruiser, maybe the occasional need to sleep in it. All the vehicles I am considering are late 1980´s/ early 90´s.

Laws are funny in spain regards trailers, they have their own licence plate and annual test, not sure exact rules but know enough that I can´t be bothered with the hassle. Also need to drive some tight spots, reversing, turning etc.

Gun Runner 5

KI4CMQ
SILVER Star
Here in the U.S. we get to choose between a $75,000+ Land Cruiser that gets 12-15 mpg and a $35,000+ Tundra pickup that also gets 12-15 mpg.

You are probably better of with the longer wheel base LJ76 series. But I would prefer a BJ73 over a LJ76. You do understand the differences between the LJ and BJ apart from the engine?

You are probably better of with the longer wheel base LJ76 series. But I would prefer a BJ73 over a LJ76. You do understand the differences between the LJ and BJ apart from the engine?

As far as I know the LJ was designed for a more comfortable ride with coil springs replacing leaves at the front. Some see this as an advantage for offroad due to greater articulation, others say it compromises strength. I don´t know so would like to see what existing owners think. I´d also like to know if there´s any difference between the BJ & LJ in the ease of separating the body and chassis to ensure the chassis and underside of tub can be totally derusted and protected for another 25 yrs..

Gun Runner 5

KI4CMQ
SILVER Star
"Do I buy a 73 or a 76?" .......
This is like choosing between a beautiful blonde and an equally beautiful brunette. Your friends will be envious of both, 90%
of the time both will make you happy, and 10% of the time you will have wished you had stayed single. :)

Last edited:
Here in the U.S. we get to choose between a $75,000+ Land Cruiser that gets 12-15 mpg and a $35,000+ Tundra pickup that also gets 12-15 mpg.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! A tundra over here costs upwards of $120,000 and you can get a new cruiser for between $50-90k.

And canarias
Reasons you should get a 73- mid wheel base, removable roof, it's awesome, 5 seater, still pretty awesome, it's a 73 series, it's longer than a troopy, shorter than a bundera, mid wheel base and it's awesome.
Reasons you should get the 76- turbo v8 diesel, would make an awesome engine transplant for a 73 series and is a v8 diesel.
Haha, I own a 73 of you couldn't tell. But in all seriousness, both are really good cars and your onto a win no matter which you go.

chappohj47

Chappo Built
i would like to own a tundra but for $120000 to $150000 I could buy one of these 6 wheel drive Landcruisers or two gxl Utes
landcruiser scropion.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom