DIY roof rack - floor mesh material? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!
I'm in the process of building my own roof rack for my HJ60, as classic looking racks aren't really available in Germany, and shipping from the states would be ridiculously expensive! I already resorted to the Gamiviti Feet, since I like their design a lot, and again couldn't find anything as strong and aesthetically pleasing at the same time in Germany/Europe.

Here are my plans, the width has been widened to 1300mm opposed to the 1250mm in the plans!
Screenshot_20180208-102333.jpg

That's where I'm at after yesterdays work:
_MG_9160.jpg

I'm now looking for flooring material to securely be able to strap things down to!
Design wise I would like a diamond mesh type material, stumbled over "expanded steel mesh" (Steckgitter - German).
As we don't have metal shops with this special material in stock over here to look at mesh and test it I'm a bit at a loss as to what dimensions I should order.
Specifically the size of the diamonds and the thickness of the mesh itself.
I don't want the mesh to bulge down in the areas without support (490mm apart - 19,3 inches) but one should also be deliberate with the weight the mesh adds.

What type of flooring did you guys use, where did you find the sweetspot between strength and weight?
Would be brilliant to get a recommendation for diamond size and thickness of the mesh!

Thank you very much, all the best from Germany!:)

Fabian

@fabianspeth I wouldn't use diamond. It tends to make a lot more noise from the flexing that it does. Unless I thought I would be walking on it all the time, I would probably just go with additional crossbars or maybe at most a large grid style floor. You could do 50mm or 75mm grids and have a very useable surface with little additional weight.

Looks great Fabian. Nice and clean.

How about using teak or Ipe? Give your 60 a cool retro vibe :)

Check out @J Mack 's build thread. He did a sweet tubular low profile rack with Ipe. Target carrier

Rack.JPG

IMG_20150327_204449326_zpsczepewrm.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to turn on notifications..:doh:

I've read from some guys who are using expanded mesh that they don't have wind noise problems? Of to prevent flexing and rattling the mesh has to be spot welded rigorously all around!

Thanks David!:) I loooove the wood! Looks brilliant! Had that idea floating around my head as well a couple of weeks ago. However I'm not sold for my specific project and cruiser. I definitely aimed for the classic look with the tubular design, as I don't like the designs from Frontrunner etc, regardless of the great modular options! It should also be somewhat utilitarian and look though though. Another plus for the mesh is that you have unlimited points to secure things to! :) I'll think about it again though!;)

Through more investigation it seems like the mesh size should be about 50x25mm (2x1"), maybe slightly more to save some more weight!

Todays progress, the top frame is just laid on there, only the two back supports are welded in, for the front and sides I'll have the supports at an angle!
_MG_9161.jpg

_MG_9162.jpg

I welded in all the plates the legs will mount onto, stich welded it from the underside, do you think I should also weld it in from the top as well? I'm thinking its overkill, but some more opionins never hurt!:)
_MG_9163.jpg

_MG_9166.jpg

Have a great weekend you all!:)
All the best from Germany
Fabian

Looking good. From the many racks I've built... I wouldn't mess with expanded metal. I did for a while. It's better to have more crossbars, or a lightweight (alumimum, plastic) floor if needed. I typically go about 7" gap between crossbars and seems to be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom