DIY Head Gasket Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I'm new here. I have a 2007 FJ with 240k miles on it that needs a new head gasket. Exhaust was leaking into cooling system. I'm in the process of tearing it down to see what's wrong with it. I'm very close to having the heads off the block and I have a few questions about this specific engine.

1) What year heads will work with my engine?

I see people selling remanufactured heads with date ranges of 2007 - 2011. Here's an example on Ebay. There is a local guy selling a rebuilt head for a 2011 FJ. I am wondering if I can can just go this route and not worry about machining my current heads. I believe the difference if the variable valve timing. Can I just use my original camshafts and replace the block only?

2) I've heard a few people say that Toyota says not to machine this head. Is there any truth to that claim?

I'm open to any recommendations. This engine is tired, but the frame is in fairly good shape. I'm hoping I can get a year or two out of the current engine and then replace if engine later is necessary.

IMG_3882.jpeg

2010 and up are different engines. The most cost effective thing to do at this point would be to get a used engine from a totaled FJ ( lower miles preferred ) and it’s just remove and replace. where you at in Colorado?

2010 and up are different engines. The most cost effective thing to do at this point would be to get a used engine from a totaled FJ ( lower miles preferred ) and it’s just remove and replace. where you at in Colorado?
I’m located in Denver. What makes the 2010+ engines different? Is there any chance the heads are the same? I’m just confused why I keep seeing heads for sale and they say they are 2007-2011.

First gen motors were just VVTi and the 2010 and up models were dual VVTi and the oil filter is a different arrangement on each model. I'm sure there are enough differences that it required different heads. They put out different specs for HP and torque.

Toyodiy has two different part numbers for the two different engine configs:
Cylinder head, LH - 11102-39225 (08/2009 - 10/2010)
Cylinder head, LH - 11102-39235 (01/2006 - 07/2009)

Cross referenced with toyotapartsdeal yields a newer number for the earlier config:
Cylinder head, LH 11102-39236 (superceded number for '06-'09)

The bare cylinder head is about $1000 each side. Not including the gaskets, bolts and other bits that will need to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom