DIY fender lining (Part 2) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finished. I thought it turned out excellent. I'm very pleased with the product and have a good bit left over. I'm going to line the sliders before i put them back on. Anyways, here are some pics. :grinpimp:

DIY fender lining (Part 1): https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=65877
Durabak2 007 (Small).jpg
Durabak2 009 (Small).jpg
Durabak2 010 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Some more. Now i need to allow it to finish drying and go wash all the dust off the rig for the full effect.
Durabak2 012 (Small).jpg
Durabak2 013 (Small).jpg
Durabak2 014 (Small).jpg

and more.
Durabak2 009 (Small).jpg
Durabak2 012 (Small).jpg
Durabak2 013 (Small).jpg

I like the continuation along the doors!

Very nice. Wonder if done on flares - leave the rubber trim piece?

very purdy, hope I can do as good a job on mine. How many coats did you put on all sides?

I put on two thick coats, and a third in some places to ensure it looked uniform.

I think lining the flares would be doable, i would take them off to do them though. This stuff is very messy, and the slightest screw up makes for a big mess. The hard part will be taking the flares off without breaking anything.

By the way, if anyone needs any of the gasket material for the flares i have some new in the box OEM gasket i'll sell.

looks awsome i like how high you went on the doors, just over the textured surface? also int he third picture it looks as if your frame and brackets are painted with a black paint, true? thinking about doing some kind of coat on my axles and contorl arms to protect from further rust i have collected driving in the dunes in the summers possibly even the wheel wells. anyway great job how hard was it to get the tape to stick to prevent leaking under the endge, was it easy to clean off where you didnt want it?

Jerome3 said:
looks awsome i like how high you went on the doors, just over the textured surface? also int he third picture it looks as if your frame and brackets are painted with a black paint, true? thinking about doing some kind of coat on my axles and contorl arms to protect from further rust i have collected driving in the dunes in the summers possibly even the wheel wells. anyway great job how hard was it to get the tape to stick to prevent leaking under the endge, was it easy to clean off where you didnt want it?

No paint on the frame and brackets, just armoral foam spray. That's the greatest stuff ever. especially before you go wheelin', hit the undercarriage with it and the dirt and mud falls off. Keeps everything looking new also.

The tape is 3M. I washed the truck so the tape stuck very well. I highly recommend 3M products.

I like it! :bounce2: Did you use wire tape for masking?

I just ordered some for my rig. Can't wait to do that job :cool:

concretejungle said:
No paint on the frame and brackets, just armoral foam spray. That's the greatest stuff ever. especially before you go wheelin', hit the undercarriage with it and the dirt and mud falls off. Keeps everything looking new also.

The tape is 3M. I washed the truck so the tape stuck very well. I highly recommend 3M products.

thought it looked mighty clean :) i like it definately going to remember to take that advice next time im wheeling cut down on the post wheelin hosing time

Looks awesome Alex.

Now, when are you going to bring that purty thing out on the trail?

Kodak Rock misses you giving it hell!!! :flipoff2:

With all the work you've been doing over the last few weeks, it's time to showcase that 80 on Daniel! :D

Andy, i'm ready and she is too. I've just been out of town every weekend doing the racing thing. I'll be in Texas Friday and Saturday. Maybe a sunday run?

I think Ary will be down in URE this Friday and Sat.

Can't wait to get her back on the trails.

It looks good I think I am going to order some for my bumpers snd sliders.

THis is kinda off topic, but worth sharing. When i took the sliders off in order to get better access to the rocker panels, i inspected the sliders a little. Those things are stout as heck, built to the same specs as George's (see slider sticky). Anyways, i have tested them a few times (just ask cruiser4life :) ) and have really come down hard on them a few times. What i noticed while looking down the slider is that it now has a bow to it. Guess it came from landing on it right in the middle. So, these dang trucks are friggin' heavy!!! If you are building your own sliders, don't cut corners or it will show big time. I didn't cut corners with these and i'm really glad now.

Back on topic. . . .

I'll snap a pic tomorrow, but i put some product on the sliders as well.

Is that dust??

I .. can't look! ;p

Get the sliders on, take a towel to it and lets see more pics tomorrow. So far looks pretty cool! :beer:

TY

CJ,
Good write up and good execution. I like it, and may steal it! :flipoff2:

One question: how are the wholes from the fender flares after the taping and applied the coats? Can you press on where the whole is and feel it give way? That's my only concern with your approach.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, i couldn't really say. I haven't gone out there and started poking around. I won't feel comfortable pushing on the product until tomorrow, giving it a chance to fully dry. But preliminary would say i'm not sure i can even tell you where the tape is. THe finish is consistant and smooth, so there are no dimples anywhere.

Alex, ignore my question in the last thread ;p

I'm going to URE NEXT weekend, the 11th,12th, 13th. Are you going to be racing that weekend as well?

Looks good man. I'm thinking I might do mine w/ the grey color. My interior is grey, and so is the ARB. Would kinda make for a continuous color scheme I think. I'll go higher on the doors though. Damn rock chips in the paint require it.

Ary

Don't bother putting any of the stuff on the underside or the sides of the sliders. Mine had a bunch of overspray from my liner job and the stuff that was underneath scraped off in chunks.

Putting some on top would be nice for step-grippiness -- anywhere else, IMO, is just a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom