DIY Capacitive discharge welder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EMORTH showed some interest in this at the last meeting. Another one of my partially completed projects. I pulled it out and started getting reacquainted with the progress I had made and what was left to do so I could try my 1st weld.

The point of a capacitive discharge welder (CDW) is to spot weld batteries together with strip if metal. My initial plan was to make batteries for motorcycles, now I'm also thinking about ditching the lead acid 2nd battery in my cruiser and replacing it with a few banks of 18650 LIFePO4 batteries.

Why? Because why not? And, the battery in there now is for my trolling motor...

The hard part is gathering enough capacitors without braking the bank. I found someone selling a batch of these 10v, 220000uF caps on ebay for a good price

20180614_171737.jpg

Last edited:
For the weld tips, I picked up some copper wire from the local home improvement store. It might actually be grounding rod, I can’t remember for sure. I cut two pieces and sharpened the tips with a lathe then 3D printed holder, a tube handle and trigger switch handle
20180613_074611.jpg
20180613_074628.jpg

Wiring was easy enough, a bunch of ring terminals from Cycle Terminal and a crimper and soldering iron made short work of connecting them in parallel

Next came the 3d printed 6 pack holders to hold them all together. The print bed isn’t big enough to do 3x4 in one go so 3 per level did the trick

20180613_114337.jpg

Very impressive indeed. You be a good friend to have in a post-apocalypse world.

P.S. I knew there was a reason I needed a 3D printer!

What kind of time was involved in assembly?

I cant remember for sure, a long evening for the hardware. Then there's the software, this one uses an Arduino attached to a Ramps 1.4 and Folger Tech has pretty good instructions. I'd say 10 hours by the time you done tweaking. Then there's a lot of mods you can do...

Can we see some video of it in action?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom