DIY 2nd Seating Row Dog / Utility Platform (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We recently adopted a Great Pyrenees who is a phenomenal dog and a great traveling companion. She goes everywhere with us, and with ski season here I’ve been looking for a commercially available back seat extender/platform so our huge dog could be more comfortable in the 2nd row. Unsatisfied with what’s available, I decided to tackle it myself.

I ended up fabricating a foldable, carpet covered platform that can be assembled quickly, stored easily, and folded over in case you need to transport a third passenger without fully removing the platform.

It’s constructed out of ½ inch plywood. A small center console supports the front of the platform and can be left in place when the platform is removed (always wanting for another cup holder anyway). The small console does cover the 2nd-row climate controls, but I have never used them. The lateral suspending straps add stability, especially for dog ingress and egress. They also prevent the need for lateral legs so you can take maximum advantage of behind-the-seat floor storage. The platform slightly overrides the bottom of the 2nd-row vents in the center console, but if you direct them upward, it looks like that won’t be much of an issue. To level-off the back of the platform, there is a large rolled-up towel in each seat, and one rolled up army blanket. Although it would seem like having the hinge of the platform on the bottom would be better for stability, it’s actually very stable with the hinge up, and it's much easier to install that way.

The dog has no problem leaping up onto the platform (these dogs are more athletic than they look), and she is able to make her way down (or I can lift her off). However, I purchased a ramp to prevent injury and for her long-term joint health. Right now, she’s sleeping on the platform and doesn’t want to get out of the truck!

It took me 2 min 41 sec to install.

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

Damn, you do nice work. Bravo!

Wow. Great work! You sir, are a genius.

🤜 💥 🤛

Love it! What a beautiful and lucky pup! So much more stability for the dog, mine always has to do the circus balancing act on the edge of the seat cushion. This is very good, hope you share some dimensions!

Nice job.

My friend's solution was as the dogs ride more often than people was just to remove the second row of seats. Lots of room. And only takes 10 minute to install the seats.

Great work. My first golden loved my FJ-62, partly because the second row in 60/62s folds completely flat and he could be right behind the back seat, like your set up. My current golden gets a bit swallowed by the back pf the 200.

Those are such awesome dogs. She's lucky to have found you.

We recently adopted a Great Pyrenees who is a phenomenal dog and a great traveling companion. She goes everywhere with us, and with ski season here I’ve been looking for a commercially available back seat extender/platform so our huge dog could be more comfortable in the 2nd row. Unsatisfied with what’s available, I decided to tackle it myself.

I ended up fabricating a foldable, carpet covered platform that can be assembled quickly, stored easily, and folded over in case you need to transport a third passenger without fully removing the platform.

It’s constructed out of ½ inch plywood. A small center console supports the front of the platform and can be left in place when the platform is removed (always wanting for another cup holder anyway). The small console does cover the 2nd-row climate controls, but I have never used them. The lateral suspending straps add stability, especially for dog ingress and egress. They also prevent the need for lateral legs so you can take maximum advantage of behind-the-seat floor storage. The platform slightly overrides the bottom of the 2nd-row vents in the center console, but if you direct them upward, it looks like that won’t be much of an issue. To level-off the back of the platform, there is a large rolled-up towel in each seat, and one rolled up army blanket. Although it would seem like having the hinge of the platform on the bottom would be better for stability, it’s actually very stable with the hinge up, and it's much easier to install that way.

The dog has no problem leaping up onto the platform (these dogs are more athletic than they look), and she is able to make her way down (or I can lift her off). However, I purchased a ramp to prevent injury and for her long-term joint health. Right now, she’s sleeping on the platform and doesn’t want to get out of the truck!

It took me 2 min 41 sec to install.

View attachment 2522705
View attachment 2522706
View attachment 2522708

View attachment 2522709
Excellent solution! We have had Cruisers and large poodles for decades and tried all kinds of things for travel. Either folding the rear seat backs down or filling in the floorboard space so they can lay down. And there is always at least one that would insist on occupying the center console. You would think fitting poodles would not be a problem but a few have been 100lbs and over 30” at the shoulder. We’re down to two poodles now but your platform would be great for the trailer trips. Nice work! Thanks

2FF02D11-95A6-48F0-AE0F-D7722FA4F430.jpeg

34E0F8FC-8E69-4905-9F7F-E6E2DE6FECEA.jpeg

0D2B01AE-B999-4B7D-911B-BA609546C3B3.jpeg

B5784EB8-28C5-48E5-98D2-14CF82666DA2.jpeg

B296915C-5BA2-4DE6-ABCE-9408E4003DDA.jpeg

Love it! What a beautiful and lucky pup! So much more stability for the dog, mine always has to do the circus balancing act on the edge of the seat cushion. This is very good, hope you share some dimensions!

Thank you for the compliments!

Per request, here are the dimensions.

Everything except the adjustable straps (REI) and the cupholder (Amazon) were purchased at Lowes.

Beware that my center console support box sits on a WeatherTech mat, so the box may have to be slightly taller if it isn't. In either case, you'll have to cut a template to get the center console support box to sit level on the floor. Note that the box nests between the seat bracket covers.

If you have any thoughts on making it better, let me know. Will be making another one for the other LC!

Remember to measure once, cut twice ;)

Platform Deck.jpg
Console Support Box 1.jpg
Console support Box 2.jpg

Thank you for the compliments!

Per request, here are the dimensions.

Everything except the adjustable straps (REI) and the cupholder (Amazon) were purchased at Lowes.

Beware that my center console support box sits on a WeatherTech mat, so the box may have to be slightly taller if it isn't. In either case, you'll have to cut a template to get the center console support box to sit level on the floor. Note that the box nests between the seat bracket covers.

If you have any thoughts on making it better, let me know. Will be making another one for the other LC!

Remember to measure once, cut twice ;)

View attachment 2523871View attachment 2523872View attachment 2523873
THANK YOU! awesome details.

Excellent solution! We have had Cruisers and large poodles for decades and tried all kinds of things for travel. Either folding the rear seat backs down or filling in the floorboard space so they can lay down. And there is always at least one that would insist on occupying the center console. You would think fitting poodles would not be a problem but a few have been 100lbs and over 30” at the shoulder. We’re down to two poodles now but your platform would be great for the trailer trips. Nice work! Thanks

View attachment 2523355

View attachment 2523356

View attachment 2523357

View attachment 2523368

View attachment 2523372
P1020788.jpeg

View attachment 2523355

View attachment 2523356

View attachment 2523357

View attachment 2523368

View attachment 2523372
Nice! I also have a new white HE, and a 150 pound dog. But my question is: what’s the story on your wheels? They look great!

Nice! I also have a new white HE, and a 150 pound dog. But my question is: what’s the story on your wheels? They look great!
Thanks! Wheels: Fuel Beast 18x9 +1mm offset. Tires: BFG K02 305/65 I think that the wheels probably have too much offset, not because they look bad (I actually like the look) but because the tires would probably crunch the fenders instead of tucking into the wells in tough terrain. Pretty sure there is a version with about 20mm offset (OEM is 60mm ai believe). Looking at some Method MR305's for the wife's LC with 25 mm offset.

Trying different things...
1609597465240.png
1609597512828.png
1609597538000.png
1609597564610.png

It is a climb up for him, the 200 seems to have better access to and larger floor space for him to climb up to, without jumping all the way to the seat. The hammock unclips easily so he can use the floor space for getting in.

Right now I think hammock wins, with sheepskin for longer trips. Yesterday he decided to swim in Lake Michigan and roll in the sand on our walk, the hammock contained all the mess.

Follow-up report: After about 8K of travel miles with the dog, the platform has performed great. Totally worth the effort. I made one for each LC. It's also an excellent utility platform and provides a good cover to hide things behind the front seats. They stay in the trucks 100% of the time. The only challenge is getting the center console component in and out, as the console/rest is probably a little too big front to back. The Carhartt pet blanket fits well on the platform.

IMG_2705.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom