Builds Recon Build '13 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I really appreciate all of the information, insight, and guidance that I’ve received from this forum. The group is comprised of an outstanding bunch of folks, which makes it a pleasure to read. A Deschutes IPA and the “200-Series Cruisers” forum is a great prescription for relaxation IMHO.

Before the pics and details, I have to share this: My wife, who has been eye-rolling and poking fun at me for months while I’ve been obsessing over the details of this build (“you’re like a 19 year-old boy,” and yada-yada) said to me today “OK, your Land Cruiser looks a lot better than mine now, and I don’t like it” I found that immensely satisfying, not because I like to one-up or I-told-you-so my awesome wife, but because that was basically the green light to look towards hers for another build down the road! :)

LC 2013 Build
OME BP-51’s
Fuel Beast wheels, 18x9, 1mm offset
Toyo A/T 285/65/18
Tundra OEM Front Recovery Hooks (Amazon 51960-0C011)
Matte Black Hex Grille (eBay)
OEM FJ40 Front Grille Badge (eBay)

Next planned steps
Vinyl black-out of side door chrome trim
Upgrade Brakes
Upgrade UCA’s

The front mud flaps had to be removed, and there still is some very slight rubbing at the back-inner portion of the front wheel well at about 2/3 turn. Some minor trimming will fix it. I'll try to trim/modify the flaps too, and reinstall, but I'm not hopeful about that.

There were definitely some differences between the after-market grille versus OEM, so some decision making was required. Specifically, a device that I believe to be the adaptive cruise control radar uses the OEM front grille Toyota badge as a radome of sorts (transmits through it). My new FJ Toyota emblem on the Hex Grille sits at the bottom third of that thing and the new emblem is metal, so that aspect of the cruise control may not work. I wasn’t concerned about it. If it doesn’t work, so be it. Also, there is no accommodation for the camera on these eBay-purchased grilles. I think they were intended for earlier 200 models. It can definitely be modified and a mount can be fabricated, but I just decided to tape off the camera wire bundle. I’m pretty sure that I won’t pine for the front camera. Lastly, there are no insertion slots for the two most lateral insulation strip retainer clips on the after-market version. Glue gun to the rescue. I plan to post the detailed grille install with pictures in a separate thread since it seems to be a common thing folks do, thus easier to reference.

The total height gain was about 3.25 inches. I’ll measure accurately soon and post. In any case, it makes an enormous visual difference as you can see when it’s parked next to the ’16.

The ride is much quieter than I anticipated, and it's MUCH less noisy than my previous lifted 4-Runner which had MT’s. Very pleased with the Toyo A/T’s. The ride is also pretty close to stock IMO. Yes, a bit stiffer of course, but nothing like the standard OME lift I put on the 4-Runner. I’m very happy I went with the BP-51’s. On that note, no thumps or bumps from the shocks, but I haven’t challenged them. Since there was a long shipping delay on the BP-51’s, I’m hoping that they are the new and improved versions.

It’s a beast. I love it. Happy Easter and enjoy the pics!

LC 1.jpeg

P1011025.JPG

Front tire contact:

IMG_3145.JPG

Next to a '16 LC:

IMG_3170.JPG

Beer and Mud at the Command Post:

IMG_3172.JPG

Looks awesome! It appears we have very similar tastes :) My lift is coming soon, but in the interim I will look back on this thread to give me inspiration. Well done.

p1011025-jpg.1441861

Very nice. One small suggestion, you may want to remove the two little aero flaps (on both Cruisers) on the front. They don't do anything and having removed mine recently I preferred the look without them. :)

Thank you and thanks for the tip!

Here is the before and after:

Flap Removal.jpeg

Looks awesome! It appears we have very similar tastes :) My lift is coming soon, but in the interim I will look back on this thread to give me inspiration. Well done.

Thanks! 100% certain that you will be glad that you did it. Incidentally, here is the side view with the 1 mm offset. I definitely like the stance, but do anticipate that the truck will get a bit dirtier as a consequence. If/when I build my wife's LC, I'll consider something like 20 mm offset with the same size tires (285/65).

1 mm Offset.JPG

Thanks! 100% certain that you will be glad that you did it. Incidentally, here is the side view with the 1 mm offset. I definitely like the stance, but do anticipate that the truck will get a bit dirtier as a consequence. If/when I build my wife's LC, I'll consider something like 20 mm offset with the same size tires (285/65).

View attachment 1442251

Looks aggressive and really nice. I have a 40mm offset which is a nice compromise between having the wheels stick out just enough but not too far. How do you like the handling? Personally, I like the wider track as I feel it's more planted to the road. I am running 20" rims and will probably install 18" wheels once the lift is installed.

Looks aggressive and really nice. I have a 40mm offset which is a nice compromise between having the wheels stick out just enough but not too far. How do you like the handling? Personally, I like the wider track as I feel it's more planted to the road. I am running 20" rims and will probably install 18" wheels once the lift is installed.

I think that the handling is better than stock. I think you described it well, in that it feels more "planted." Also, there is less of that mushy rocking that the stock suspension sometimes provides when making any slalom-like turns.

The LC was much in need of some detailing after the recent build. There were numerous shallow scratches, swirls in the finish, and various hard water stains, bug splats, etc. There was was also a bunch of overspray on the passenger side which has been present since I’ve bought it. Whenever I cleaned and waxed the truck it looked good but never great.

I’ve been planning this for a while, so I been accumulating several Chemical Guys products, a random-orbit polisher (Porter Cable 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher), and a bunch of good rags. I pretty much followed the instructions on the Chemical Guys website.

Since I’ve got the week off, I got up bright and early today and got to detailing:
  • Washed and dried the truck
  • Cleaned with Medium Clay Bar (using lubrication spray) to remove contamination
  • V36 Cutting Polish (applied with polisher)
  • V38 Final Polish (applied with polisher)
  • “Black Light” finish to enhance black paint finishes (Hand applied)
  • Butter Wet Wax (Hand applied)
This is one of those situations where pictures don’t do something justice. The finish has never looked this good. All of the superficial swirls and scratches are gone as is the overspray. The black finish is more mirror-like as it should be.

That said, this took a long time and was something like a CrossFit workout. It took about 5 hours. Now I see why many people pay folks to do this. Also, it started raining 15 minutes after I finished.

Detail Potions.jpeg

The Finished Product
After Detailing.jpeg

On our black vehicles...I've been using this product. I use it immediately after I wash and dry the vehicle. It's like Meguiars Quick Detailer but for black vehicles. It helps with spots, swirl marks etc that our black vehicles are notorious for. It doesn't take that long and really leaves a nice finish. I know it's an extra step but it really is worth it. It doesn't leave a film behind and comes off easily. After I apply and wipe it off, I then give one final wipe using a clean microfiber cloth. Shines up the vehicle very nicely...almost like a fresh coat of wax but w/o all the work. It doesn't replace wax and a proper detail, but between waxes, it really helps with spots and swirl marks.

...truck looks great BTW.

Guy

71mGo09Bm5L._SL1500_.jpg

I was able to get the front mud flaps back on but not without substantial trimming as shown below. Next plan is to order some more and try a heat gun modification, b/c I would like to protect as much as possible. BTW, this would be a great 3D scan, modify, and print project for the ambitious! Would be nice to be able to protect the finish from the wheel offset

Basically the entire white area was the trim-away.

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

Pulled the trigger on some 305/65/18 BFG KO2’s yesterday. Upgraded from Toyo OC AT 285/65’s. Fantastic ride quality on the BFG’s and overall a better proportioned look IMO. I think they are a bit quieter than the Toyo’s. For comparison, to the right is the wife’s ‘16 with also with BP-51’s and 285/65/18 KO2’s.

Gained an inch in elevation with the 305’s. The Fuel Beast wheels are +1 mm offset. So yeah, they poke out and lots of articulation would probably do in the fenders. Honestly, I probably didn’t know what in was getting into with that much offset, but no plans to change for now. I do like the way it looks though.

No suspension or KDSS rubbing, as you would expect with that much offset, but had to trim a bit more plastic and advance the front wheel well liner forward about 1.5”

Next updates: MetalTech sliders and Pedal Commander for the wife, and yellow fog LED update for me.

It never ends!!

6FB144CD-0666-4C38-B4D1-4C4E2234C39F.jpeg

E3E370AC-FF48-41D1-8C23-6D430E60053A.jpeg

51E94FF5-6C81-4939-A5F0-CA5E4800A961.jpeg

Last edited:
Great looking trucks, both of them. What springs did you use on your wife's LC?

Thanks. Both trucks have BP-51’s. Have had zero problems with them. I don’t recall the spring selection, but they are not the stiffest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom