DixieLand What have you done to your cruiser today thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last edited:
I ordered ARB lockers for the ThroatPunch Buggy.

177724.jpg

Worked on removing the steering gear box on my 60 yesterday. Im sending it off to West Texas Offroad to get it rebuilt.

Also helped @BamaBreeze install a new brake booster on his 80 this weekend. Took some persuading and cursing, but finally got it in. Not a very good design IMO.

image.jpg

A big thanks to @Bama4door for the help with the brake booster on my 80 last weekend. Wish I could attach a picture of the couple of "mods" we made to the booster to make it fit, but it would be hard to see and somewhat incriminating... :)
Also re-installed the front driveshaft after replacing the u-joints. Another big thanks to @MACruiser for getting the old u-joints banged out and for educating me on a better way to get them out in the future. Mac and Sons, in Cahaba Heights, is the place to go if you need any work done in the Birmingham area. Mac and his Dad are owners of and experts on Land Cruisers and just all-around good guys. Thought about doing the rears as well but they seem solid still and the vibrations are gone, so I just greased up everything on the rear shaft and called it good for now.
Also replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump strainer, and charcoal canister over the last couple of weekends. Charcoal canister was replaced with the Dorman VC120, from a late-model Pontiac, I think, that several others have used as a low-cost alternative. The massive "whoosh" when removing the gas cap is now completely gone. Also cleaned out the newly discovered (for me) "tuna can" below the air intake filter and wrapped my steering wheel with a great leather cover from Amazon.

I now continue to have a very slight intake seal leak on the steering gearbox and need to decide whether to send off to West Texas Offroad or attempt to tackle myself. Also need to take another stab at trying to break loose the relay rod to center up the steering wheel.

20180924_214618458_iOS.jpg

20181010_022130285_iOS.jpg

I now continue to have a very slight intake seal leak on the steering gearbox and need to decide whether to send off to West Texas Offroad or attempt to tackle myself. Also need to take another stab at trying to break loose the relay rod to center up the steering wheel.

I have a spare box if you need to borrow one while you’re down. It’s actually out there being rebuilt and will go on Brent’s 80, and he’ll give me his once he has them swapped.

If you’re coming Saturday to the work party, we can get the steering wheel straight. That cover is AWESOME btw... I dig that!

Sounds like we are working on some of the same projects @BamaBreeze

I’ve got a vc120 on the way as well as a new Master Cylinder and the new leather for the wheel is on the counter and my box should be back from West Texas next week. Get with Eric if you want my(his) box to send off.

I just had Gear Grinders do the oil pump seal, heater valve and control arm bushings. Trying to stop all the oil leaks but it looks like I may have messed up reinstalling the power steering pump so gotta get a new O-Ring and try again.

Thanks guys. I might take you up on that steering box offer, Eric. Hate I missed the work party this weekend but had a blast in the Spartan Race in Atlanta with my 2 oldest daughters. Hope we have another one soon.

Deleted running boards today. Thanks for the help Cole.
Before:
IMG_1648.JPG

After:
IMG_1657.JPG

Got 3/4 of my reverse lights wired up.

Took out my rear 60 seats and gave them a good wash down. Night and day difference.

I took each seat cover off and then used a bowl of hot water mixed with a big scoop of OxiClean and then scrubbed back and forth with a brush. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Next up are to do my front seats.

F1096F9D-CD8B-4E48-B73D-2087A36DFBCA.jpeg

9CD607FC-14B9-45E9-A088-C180256721D8.jpeg

C7A83062-3853-4C19-AE3D-DC2E99E724E0.jpeg

Replaced my driver side motor mount on my 60 a couple weekends ago. Struggled together the engine hoisted up high enough to change them out. Ended up removing the top part of the fan shroud and the bottom nut on the passenger side motor mount as well. I’d say the stock one was a goner....

E8F4E7F1-9D29-4529-B4D4-D7B68232A157.jpeg

When I did this I jacked the engine from below and I think I unbolted the passenger side motor mount. I don't recall needing to unbolt the fan shroud.

Replaced my driver side motor mount on my 60 a couple weekends ago. Struggled together the engine hoisted up high enough to change them out. Ended up removing the top part of the fan shroud and the bottom nut on the passenger side motor mount as well. I’d say the stock one was a goner....

View attachment 2220839

When I did this I jacked the engine from below and I think I unbolted the passenger side motor mount. I don't recall needing to unbolt the fan shroud.
I jacked it from below also with 2x4 over the oil pan. No way I could have gotten it out without removing the top part of the shroud.

I jacked it from below also with 2x4 over the oil pan. No way I could have gotten it out without removing the top part of the shroud.

I might have unbolted the fan instead of messing with the shroud. My fan shroud is still intact and I never think about cutting it when I have it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom