Distributor r&r (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I need to remove my single diaphram dizzy and replace it with a dual diaphram for smog reasons. Can I just take note of where my rotor is pointing, remove it, and put in my replacement and make sure the rotor is pointing at the same spot? Or do I have to go through the routine of finding TDC on compression stroke first then got through the r&r?
Thanks.

R&R

install distrib

Dont see why it wouldnt work but the rotor could be just a little off with the gear mesh and all. I always do it with the TDC method just to be sure but the worse that will happen is it will run bad so worth a try

I know people who have put them in 180 out and just swapped all the wires around:doh:

Should the dizzy come out pretty easily? When I removed the dual diaphram dizzy from the donor truck, I literally had to jump into the engine compartment with both feet for leverage and pull up while working it back and forth.

Is it normal to be so tight?
Thanks.

They can be tight if they haven't been removed in a while (or ever).

Make sure that you have the replacement dizzy fully seated and verify oil pressure when you first start the engine. Not getting the dizzy fully seated, so that it mates with the oil pump, is a common cause of engine failure.

Should the dizzy come out pretty easily? When I removed the dual diaphram dizzy from the donor truck, I literally had to jump into the engine compartment with both feet for leverage and pull up while working it back and forth.

Is it normal to be so tight?
Thanks.

They can be a PITA to remove. Spray it down where it meets the block with Kroil or your fave penetrating spray over a day or two or three and keep trying. I lost my patience with a very stuck one and ended up snapping the shaft in two. Lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom