Distributor Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now bear with me as I havent run through any diagnostic tests yet cause I'm at work today. Changed the oil last night and upgraded my filter from the sh**ty FRAM to a Mobil 1 filter due to low oil pressure reading on guage. Had everything buttoned up and was giving the filter a last hand tighten with the engine running and knocked the vacuum line off the distrubutor diaphragm. The enging sputtered and quit and now I have a no fire situation. I'm no mechanic but not afraid to turn wrenches by any means. The distributor cap inside was filthy.

My question is this, by knocking the vacuum off did I screw up the timing and will it need to be retimed? i'm going to get a new distributor cap and rotor from NAPA at lunch.

Thanks for your patience with my n00b-ie-ness.

That shouldn't effect the timing. Check to make sure you didn't inadvertently disconnect the high tension wire from the distributor cap...That would definitely cause a no spark situation...and it's right in the same area....

no issue with HT wire when I ran home to check quickly. Killed the battery cranking so on the charger now.

Had a look at lunch, cransk and cranks but no fire. Was running just up until last night.

I had a look at NAPA and two distributors listed US and Canada, one aluminum and one copper does this make a difference?

take a pic of the distributor and the coil please.

Is the distributor tightly secured? could it have twisted when you hit the vacuum advance, that would throw it off

ordered the new cap and rotor, for pics mace, did you want just a top down view or to see under the cap as well?

Mostly just to see if the wires are hooked up correctly to the dizzy and coil still.

Great signature line Mace, I'm a huge fan.

IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2683.JPG
IMG_2682.JPG

Dizzy was secure. Cant see how it would slip. Still no fire though.

Any wires connecting the dizzy to the coil?

Remove the rotor and the dust plate, and be sure your points (it appears you have a '76-era truck) didn't slip shut or open. It appears your distributor is rather greasy inside - you might swab it out while you're in there just as a housekeeping measure.

Will do, had 12" of snow over the weekend so will have to wait a bit.If they slipped shut or open I suppose it's about resetting them? I have feeler guages so can look into it later. I ordered a new cap and rotor (copper),

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom