disconnecting your GX from enform and other built in cellular connectivity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone figured out how to kill the connectivity these cars have to enform (aka Toyota) and not brick the rest of the nav/car? I did a search and didn't see anything. I was just curious if something like that was possible given all the hoopla around the kill switches etc. I was looking at either a lightly used 2019 or a new 2022(on the list at a number of dealerships).

Thanks in advance!

No idea what effect this would have on the vehicle but you could try disconnecting the telematics transceiver

Smaller box is the Mayday Battery that allows for callout if SOS is needed in a crash and transceiver is to the left.

Shark fin antenna is also used for these services. This is in area left of glovebox.

These two items will no longer be relevant in a 2010-2018 model after 10.31.2022 in case someone needs some more wiring room behind center console.

44.png

Last edited:
No idea what effect this would have on the vehicle but you could try disconnecting the telematics transceiver

Smaller box is the Mayday Battery that allows for callout if SOS is needed in a crash and transceiver is to the left.

Shark fin antenna is also used for these services. This is in area left of glovebox.

View attachment 2904142
Seems like disconnecting cellular antenna would be less intrusive?

IMO: That would still have some range to a tower.

I found the shark fin setup to give me a range to services in areas I hadn't seen since I had a Nextel iDEN phone 20 years ago.
Oh wow! So much connectivity today... Thats the one thing I wish these cars had less of...

I just wish they didn't put the "SOS" button right next to the garage door opener. I fat-finger that sucker all the time in the dark...

Oh wow! So much connectivity today... Thats the one thing I wish these cars had less of...

You could go with a 2018 and earlier as telematics unit will no longer be able to communicate after the 3G Enform shutdown 10.31.2022

I just wish they didn't put the "SOS" button right next to the garage door opener. I fat-finger that sucker all the time in the dark...

It took me a second... as I had forgotten Homelink was in that area for 2010-2011.

2012+ it went to the rear view mirror
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.45.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.49.11 PM.png

2010-2011
screen_shot_2020_03_07_at_5_58_35_pm_69a7a7bb32678049c99d9fe9fd40cf1e73d2c0d2.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.46.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Im still a little surprised that no one tried to totally disconnect from the mothership...

With the system connected, can one of our vehicles be located if stolen?
If so, I'll just keep mine as is, thank you. ;)

With the system connected, can one of our vehicles be located if stolen?
If so, I'll just keep mine as is, thank you. ;)
Funny, this is exactly what I dont want... If my GX gets stolen, I want to make the cops earn their pay the old fashion way... Besides, as long as I get my CCR tape back, I'm good!

I do have a paid Safety Connect subscription on mine but that will sunset after 10/31 this year.

Of course you will still have the EDR :)

View attachment 2904564View attachment 2904566

Above is EDR for a 2022...but here is what a 2010 captures

View attachment 2904571View attachment 2904572
I totally get the EDR and have no problems with the EDR at all. Just dont want Toyota tracking my every move... Its bad enough that the cell companies do that. ;)

On the 460... options really are to pick up a 10-18 or experiment with disconnecting transceiver components on a '19+ to see the side effects. A 16-18 basically has the same functionality as '19+ but the 3G goes away in October.

Perhaps you can compel an owner of one of those models to experiment to see what the side effects are?

Ive been looking ar 2019 or 2022. So far, used prices are within 6k of a new one. I have a feeling that Ill be the one doing the experimenting on a '22 if I can get an allocation.

Latest FSM I have seen is up to '21 you will find at the bottom of this post... you'd have to take out a TIS subscription to see details on '22.

TBH... in the 5 years I have owned my 460 and covering all forums and related FB sites... most are either looking at keeping stock or extending connectivity. I'll add your thread here to the GXOR Wiki once you have found a solution that works for you.....always others who may be interested even if they haven't made their voices heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom