Disc brake conversion for my 1973 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to do a disc brake conversion on my 1973 fj40. Any suggestions on where to purchase the kit and any advice on? How hard of a project this might be? Thanks in advance.

Don’t take this the wrong way. Lots of information on this. Use google to search Mud It’s more effective than using Mud search.

Front use Toyota 4 piston callipers & discs. You’ll need knuckles, birfields, rotors, calopers, free-wheel hubs, etc. they can come from Toyota mini-trucks, Landcruisers 40/6070 ??. 4Runners.

Don’t take shortcuts and use GM mini callipers on the front. The list above is to give you general context and keywords for your search. Many mud vendors can put together what you need. George @valleyhybrids comes to mind, @cruiseroutfit likely could, and many others. I haven’t done a search… just what jumps to mind.

Rear, hit up @Poser for brackets and use GM callipers and rotors. There are other ways, but they’re the easiest imho.

Since your master cylinder is likely drum/drum you may also want to investigate upgrading to a disc/disc non abs master and booster (assuming you are going to put discs on all 4 corners.

I am looking to do a disc brake conversion on my 1973 fj40. Any suggestions on where to purchase the kit and any advice on? How hard of a project this might be? Thanks in advance.
I converted my 70 FJ40 a few years ago and got everything through Mana-free.
There are other good kits out there so look around for the one you think best.
The kits I got went on easy enough but I had to convert the brake line fittings from 9mm to 10mm.
Had to re-flair lines for the 10's and finding a three way to replace the 9mm one on the rear axle housing took some time.
I refused to pay thirty bucks for a part I finally got for under $10.
I'm just weird that way.
Make sure there is enough clearance on the rims for the calipers.
I have spokes and the fronts are pretty close.
The rears have plenty of room but the rim on my spare tire will not clear the fronts so if I evert have a flat on the front I will have to do a tire rotation to get it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom