Disabling ABS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did say "all sorts of electrical probs" and not a definitive ALL, but all sorts means I reckon you should have a go at just about anything! Can't wait for the breakdown of the fix with wiring diagrams, diagnostics, computer printouts, logic function block diagrams and updated TSB's back from Toyota!!
Thanking you in anticipation.......

Thanks for the write-up! Looks simple enough to post it here directly on the forum. It'll be here long after you change ISP's.

I'm sure you can figure this out on the 100. I did it on my old Tacoma. I rigged a manual switch on the dash that tricked the ABS into thinking the locker was engaged. It was a about 4 years ago so my memory is faded as to exactly what wires i tapped into but it worked flawlessly and I swear by having the ABS disabled. That way you can still disable the ABS without engaging the CDL if you didn't want to.
dmc

hoser said:
Thanks for the write-up! Looks simple enough to post it here directly on the forum. It'll be here long after you change ISP's.

You can do whatever you want with it ;). This is my own domain on my own web server on my own computer - so this site will be arround even after I change my ISP ;).

Regards

Samo

IMPORTANT!

Something I forgot to mention: If you do the "pin 7 mod" (to enable usage of low gear without engaged CDL), ABS will no longer know, that low is selected, and will use normal ABS program when only low gear is selected. And when you additionally engage CDL, it will use ABS program as if only CDL was engaged (without low gear). So: I suggest not to do the "pin 7 mod" if you don't also do the mod described abowe.

Regards

Samo

I'll ask the silly questions, Samo, do you have the LOGIC and CONDITIONS that the ABS works in its multi program mode? I would be very interested to get more info on this and other LOGIG for the LC100 as previously stated.

There was a discussion ona LCOOL list (I'm sure you know about it). ABS on a 100 picks a program based on three parameters:
- Hi/Low gear
- CDL
- RDL (when RDL is engaged ABS is turned off)

If you disconnect the "pin #7", ABS ECU will loose one of the parameters.
That's all I know. I don't even have a service manual :eek: .

Regards

Samo

I don't know about the LCOOL discussion, so what you are saying is, the only time the ABS is disabled is when the RDL is selected. Is this correct? and the ABS program changes depending on CDL and Hi/lLO selection. What changes does it make to the way the ABS works?
Thanks in advance
100 TD

100 TD said:
I don't know about the LCOOL discussion, so what you are saying is, the only time the ABS is disabled is when the RDL is selected. Is this correct? and the ABS program changes depending on CDL and Hi/lLO selection. What changes does it make to the way the ABS works?

Correct. Only when RDL is engaged, the ABS is fully off (try it - you will see the ABS light on the dash). Program is changing so that it allows a little more wheel blocking when CDL is engaged and even some more, when in Low. But they gotta be kiddin'. The result is not so good. When driving with a CDL engaged and in Hi, you are not able to brake efficiently on gravell. And some people had also problems when driving in Low and driving down a steep muddy trail.

Regards

Samo

You can do whatever you want with it ;). This is my own domain on my own web server on my own computer - so this site will be arround even after I change my ISP ;).

Regards

Samo

Unfortunatly, http://www.tojezakon.com/offroad/LC100_ABS/ is not reachable any more .

Is someone get the pictures ?

fortunately, the most important is written

Last edited:
Has anyone else performed this ABS modification? The link with detailed instructions included in this string is dead.

I performed this modification per OP's instructions by swapping the red/blue and pink/black pins (of #6 and #7 locations?) of the middle connector. Pretty easy and seems to work as stated.

IMG_20181118_205541673.jpg

Bringing up an old topic, but winter has started here in WI and my WIFE hates the ABS and it put her through a stop sign this morning. She wants it disabled.

Rig is a 1999 USA model, with no Elocker. If I am following this mod right and flip the wires, when you push the button on the dash to lock high range in (turn on CDL), it will disable the ABS? or does this work only if you have the Elocker?

Bringing up an old topic, but winter has started here in WI and my WIFE hates the ABS and it put her through a stop sign this morning. She wants it disabled.

Rig is a 1999 USA model, with no Elocker. If I am following this mod right and flip the wires, when you push the button on the dash to lock high range in (turn on CDL), it will disable the ABS? or does this work only if you have the Elocker?

A word of caution: The ABS didn't put her through the stop sign, she over-drove the car's brakes.

Stopping distance is a little better without ABS intervention, but it's a small difference. ABS doesn't help braking. It helps vehicle control and allows her to steer when she over-drives the brakes.. Removing the ABS might make her feel better by having predictable performance at <15mph, but it might put her at a significantly increased risk in situation that matters a lot more.

Do you already have the best possible snow tires? That makes a big difference. i assume since it's winter and you're in WI, that she was driving in snow.

My KO2s (snow rated, but just an all terrain tire) activate ABS early and often. It's annoying. For winter driving I have a dedicated set of snow tires. The performance difference in snow/ice is astounding. ABS only activates if I'm trying to activate it.

Sorry if I'm "that guy", but I'd hate for you to disable a safety feature to appease your wife over a minor nuisance only to later have her total the car or worse because she lost control at 50mph+ and ABS wasn't there to bail her out.

You are that Guy - LOL. I agree she was possibly driving maybe to fast, maybe its too icy and maybe the tires that have 95% tread she has are crap. Hell I thought it was crappy on my way to work as well in my duramax, but it never once kicked the ABS on stopping at a stoplight and I've got s*** tires. Its our first dusting of snow/ice and I am sure that didn't help.

Problem is when I hit the brakes, I want a vehicle to brake like normal, not pulsate and not quit pulsating after you let off the brake.

Its not only her, its done it to me before in the same vehicle and the ABS on my FZJ80 was the same exact way. The ABS in the 80's and 100's is a crap system and I'm not the only guy in the world to think this.

If she is doing 50MPH+ with the rig locked in 4WD in the snow ice, she is going to have bigger problems than the ABS

You are that Guy - LOL. I agree she was possibly driving maybe to fast, maybe its too icy and maybe the tires that have 95% tread she has are crap. Hell I thought it was crappy on my way to work as well in my duramax, but it never once kicked the ABS on stopping at a stoplight and I've got s*** tires. Its our first dusting of snow/ice and I am sure that didn't help.

Problem is when I hit the brakes, I want a vehicle to brake like normal, not pulsate and not quit pulsating after you let off the brake.

Its not only her, its done it to me before in the same vehicle and the ABS on my FZJ80 was the same exact way. The ABS in the 80's and 100's is a crap system and I'm not the only guy in the world to think this.

If she is doing 50MPH+ with the rig locked in 4WD in the snow ice, she is going to have bigger problems than the ABS

Fair enough. I'm still curious about tires. Most all seasons are garbage in light snow, even when brand new.

Oddly enough, NHTSA has a report that contradicts my thoughts. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811182

NHTSA said:
ABS has close to a zero net effect on fatal crash involvements.
ABS is quite effective in nonfatal crashes, reducing the overall crashinvolvement rate by 6 percent in passenger cars (confidence bounds: 4% to 8%) and by 8 percent in LTVs (confidence bounds: 3% to 11%).

So hey, maybe you're onto something... ;)

Here is a January 2019 write-up of my experiments with the modification:

"Land Cruiser braking test results from last night: AWD+ABS vs 4x4 w/o ABS

Last night I ran a few driving tests with my new CDL setup. In the picture I indicate with a yellow arrow where I hit the brakes (video: the nearest light post where the car is parked). The black arrows indicate where I stopped using AWD and ABS. The red arrow indicates where I stopped using 4x4 and ABS off. I stopped about 50% shorter with the CDL engaged. This street has a slight decline, so I tried a flat street and obtained the same results. A third test was ran on a school drive that had a slight passenger side tilt toward the curb. In order to avoid the yaw associated with braking on this type of street, I had to back off the brakes to straighten the Cruiser. With ABS, no yaw; without ABS, lockup made the Cruiser yaw. In this case the stopping distance for 4x4 and ABS off was about 2/3 to 3/4 of the distance of AWD+ABS.

Contrary to popular belief, 4x4 does stop your vehicle better than two-wheel drive."

49898732_10213897852109328_4971960747232854016_o.jpg

For those interested in why I and others are doing this modification, check out Team O'Neil Rally School's demonstrations on YouTube. There are four or five that are quite informative and entertaining.

Team O'Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom