Disabling ABS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunatly, http://www.tojezakon.com/offroad/LC100_ABS/ is not reachable any more .

Is someone get the pictures ?

fortunately, the most important is written

I couldn't get the pictures but these are the written instructions.

Land Cruiser 100 series ABS modification
Don't like how ABS works on your LC100? Here are the instructions how to disconnect it. I've changed ABS so that it is turned off when central diff. lock is engaged. It is an easy modification. It works for me, but I don't promise you anything.

1. Locate the ABS ECU. On my car it is located just above the clutch peddal.

Disconnect the middle connector.

2. ABS is on only when it has 12V on pin#6 (red & blue wire) - that is when rear diff. lock is off. On pin#7 (pink & black wire) is a signal from a central diff lock.

3. Remove wires from pin#6 and pin#7

Instructions how to remove a pin from a connector can be found here. Insert the red & blue wire (that was originally in pin #6) into pin#7, and pink & black wire into pin#6.

4. Put the connector back in place and you are finished. ABS will be deactivated when you engage the central diff. lock. It brakes on gravell like hell!

May be this is true but I don't think you posted your two-wheel drive test results.
My apologies, medtro. I assumed everyone here was aware that an open differential AWD system brakes no differently than a two-wheel drive system. Did you watch the Team O'Neil link I provided?

I did. However, I don't want to assume a Ford truck is the same as the 100 series Land Cruiser.

I don't think an F350, with a snow plow hanging out front, would be my first choice for a braking performance vehicle. At least a 100 series is starting with close to a 50/50 weight distribution.

On some surfaces (snow/gravel), locked wheels will out perform ABS, in pure stopping distance, but this is at the sacrifice of most/all steering control.

This is not the same on the newer lx470's that do not have a rear locker. The ABS computer is in the same spot above the brake peddle, however this abs computer has 4 connectors instead of 3.

Also this abs computer on the newer non locked lx470's has a connector labeled A43. Pin #3 of A43 is the CDL wire (Pink / Black --> it goes +12V when the CDL is not locked) mentioned in this article. However and obviously the Red / Blue is not present due to no locker. Does anyone know how to achieve the disabled ABS in this truck, or have a diagram I can study to find out if this mod is achievable on the non locked lx470's?

My particular truck is a 2001 LX470. I have the diagrams for a 2005 LC100, but I am curious if the 2001 drawings are any different.

Just out of pure morbid curiosity (and i do not expect this is necessarily so...) The Pin #2 location is empty. What do you suppose this is where the Red / Blue would be if the vehicle did have a rear locker? Scratch that.... the 2005 LC100 diagram shows A43 Pin#2 as the Low Range Detector Switch. It is still not populated on my truck. I am now curious if grounding this pin would disable the ABS.

Last edited:
On a 2000+ truck, would disabling ABS not disable ATRAC too? Seems like a bad idea unless you're 2x or 3x locked.

On a 2000+ truck, would disabling ABS not disable ATRAC too? Seems like a bad idea unless you're 2x or 3x locked.
Valid concern.
How does ATRAC behave in low range? That is, if it still operates but ABS is off, then there should be a way isolate the two for this modification.

This would definitely be awesome if it can be selectable like the OP was able to achieve, and not something like yanking out the fuse/relays. With these old LC/LX 100's I would have thought many other people had already tackled this issue.

Disabling any "safety" feature is not a good idea for a number of reasons while on roads. Just as there are a number of reasons to do these kinds of mods when offroad. But for the sake of keeping this thread relevant I'd prefer not to pollute the thread discussing those opinions.

To my knowledge, ABS stays on in 2000+ trucks even in low range and with CDL engaged. My understanding of most traction control systems is that they are a function of the ABS. Maybe someone with mote in-depth knowledge of ATRAC can chime in

This would definitely be awesome if it can be selectable like the OP was able to achieve, and not something like yanking out the fuse/relays. With these old LC/LX 100's I would have thought many other people had already tackled this issue.

Disabling any "safety" feature is not a good idea for a number of reasons while on roads. Just as there are a number of reasons to do these kinds of mods when offroad. But for the sake of keeping this thread relevant I'd prefer not to pollute the thread discussing those opinions.

Totally in agreement. I was just adding food for thought in regards to how disabling ABS may effect ATRAC, which is an important feature off road. (unless you're double or triple locked)

I assumed MountaineerLC concern was over losing the traction aid, not one of safety. That is, ATRAC simulates LSD, right?

I assumed MountaineerLC concern was over losing the traction aid, not one of safety. That is, ATRAC simulates LSD, right?

Correct, I was thinking traction, not safety. My peabrained though thought was that given two identical rigs, the one with functional ATRAC would be superior off road to the rig with ABS and ATRAC disabled. The obvious exception would be the somewhat limited situations where the disabled ABS wound enhance braking and control.

It's an interesting discussion and I'm now curious if the two systems can be isolated.

I got rid of a 2003 Sequoia because the two systems were not separable. There was no ATRAC kill switch like newer models. When the Sequoia's ATRAC module/computer went bad, it killed the otherwise perfectly operating brakes. Very scary design flaw

VCS TRAC switch

ToyotaHEAD, have you read through this thread? There might be something there.

I sure have, and got this to work perfectly. It's just a matter now of the ABS.

For those that are curious, I've SA'd my lx470 with lockable 80 axles. I'm looking to maintain all the safety features of the stock lx470, but have the ability to turn them off when offroad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom