Dig-Dug and The Fusionator get spanked on Beasley Knob: pics & carnage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
This will be one bachelor party never to be forgotten. Me and a bunch of my guy friends went to wheel our cruisers at Beasley Knob. We hit the trails about 11:30 on Saturday and had a great time mapping out the trails. We remarked that most of what we had ridden were pretty mild trails and knew there was at least one really difficult one. Well we found it.
These pics are of the trails before we found the hard one. When this place is dry, the trails are really enjoyable. But when they're wet--I've heard its murderous on vehicles. We had mild weather, a little overcast but no rain.
DSC04765.jpg

DSC04766.jpg

DSC04768.jpg

DSC04773.jpg

DSC04775.jpg

DSC04778.jpg

DSC04779.jpg

DSC04787.jpg

DSC04791.jpg

It started off as a pretty rocky trail and then quickly as the incline got steeper the dirt got looser as we approached the top. About 300 yards from the top I was taking a line that didn't seem terribly difficult terrain, but ATRAC was not getting me over the hump. I tried the locker on and bumped the spot a few times then POW! Something was not right in the rear diff and we suspected the locker was not disengaging. So we winched up to a flat spot just beyond the small ledge I was trying to pass. We pulled the locker actuator to see if we could pull the fork out of engagement. It seemed to be fine but it did move a little with some manual help.
[Sorry, we don't have much for pictures at this point, but we were all focused on recovery]
Tried moving forward again and it sounded like a machine gun under the rear end. We all knew what that meant. The ring gear was chewed up.
But before I even got my actuator pulled from the rear diff, Lab601 came up behind me and grenaded his diff on the same spot! Holy Crap! Two FJ's stuck on the trail! The guys behind Lab601 stayed back at that point and we all proceded to drop the drive shafts on the broken rigs and get the heck off that mountain.
I went through a series of winch pulls and tow strap sessions up the rest of the hill. Then we continued down the trail out and back to town. Me and Lab limped back to the Blairsville Home Depot and purchased jack stands and proceded to tear the rear ends apart. FJCRUZR took off to find gear oil and then the wrenching began. DanKunz directed the activities after getting K9crazy and subsequently the Central FJTT on the phone to get some guidance. We had to drain the pumpkin, remove the wheels, discs, hubs and axle shafts. Inspection of the axle shaft splines didn't show any damage and we pulled the third member out next.
DSC04798.jpg

DSC04799.jpg

DSC04801.jpg

The third member is a real b!tch to pull, as you have to disconnect the sway bar, remove the locker actuator and remove about a dozen 12mm nuts on the case. Then you have to pull a 40-50lb chunk out of the front of the rear diff assembly without breaking your arm or losing a finger. Once that was out DK disassembled the carrier and removed the ring gear, then reassembled the third. I'd lost about 8-9 teeth on mine and Lab lost about 5-6 on his.
DSC04834.jpg

We raced to reassemble everything since it was already dark and the parking lot lights were about to go out at 11:30pm (as we were told).
We finished up around midnight and then drove to the cabin where the bachelor party resumed with full force. We got the ribs, steaks, salmon and mahi mahi on the grill and dove into a great meal. Then at around 3AM, much to everyone's surprise our host had some visitors of the scantilly clad female variety drop by to liven things up. No more story for you!

I called Ralph Hayes Toyota to order a rear diff assembly. Mucho dinero folks at a little over $1200. It only comes as an entire unit, they don't just sell the third member (guts/gears).

And if anyone knows of an aftermarket supplier of these, I'd be curious in upgrading at some point in Dig-Dug's future.

A BIG THANKS to all my friends on this trip for enduring our carnage and lending a hand during the tear down and reassembly. The day didn't go as planned, but everyone kept a great attitude. Truly a bachelor's best friends!

A SPECIAL THANKS to DanKunz for directing the workflow and basically saving our butts on the trail. The Avocado is a tool shop on wheels and his phone calls got us the advice and instruction we needed to get our rigs rolling home again.

Are they a 4:10 gear set? If so then you can use the Toyota V6 gears from Yukon, Superior, Precision, Sierra, and Motives.

Talk to Alex or Justin at PORC. They will cut a good price on gears.

Athens:
(706) 548-9393

Cumming:
770-292-9820

Are they a 4:10 gear set? If so then you can use the Toyota V6 gears from Yukon, Superior, Precision, Sierra, and Motives.

Talk to Alex or Justin at PORC. They will cut a good price on gears.

Athens:
(706) 548-9393

Cumming:
770-292-9820
Stock FJC gears on a auto tranny 4WD with locker are 3.72 : 1
(the manual tranny has 3.90 in it)

Prado gears...I wonder if the Lexus GX470 gears match? They have the same diffs as I recall...

:eek: Spendy break there!
If it'll happen once, It'll ...... :p
Have you thought about having your new R & P cryo-rem treated? I had a set done recently by Performance Cryogenics in Cumming - 770-888-8818. Cryo freezes the molecules to form a locking bind, then the rem process removes any microscopic ridges & valleys that can lead to stress risers forming. This will be the strongest your R & P will evar be ;) IIRC the cost was a bout $200.00 for both processes & took a weekend.

I spoke with a parts manager over by me.

3.72 auto, w/ diff lock 02/07 manufactured date is the part # cut over from the old to the new.

Funny thing was, they have an FJ Cruiser in pre 02/07 with exactly what you all had. The ring gear shredded teeth off of it under light to moderate offroad use.

Cherokee Toyota if you need a reference Rick.

Got the call at 3:03pm today...

Mr. Toyota is picking up the tab on the rear diff and as an added bonus they are swapping out the front too (read that however you like).
:bounce2:
:bounce:

Good :)

wowa woowah nice! Looks like a fun BP was had. One of these days I'll get back to wheeling with you guys....I just have a hard time with the meetings.

Excellent work on the breakage!

Glad to hear TEQ is taking care of you.

kls

In the post with the FJC's in the HD parking lot.

What is attached to the High Lift Jack on the silver FJC? Or I should ask how is the High Lift used on the FJC in that location?

I don't think there is anything attached. It's just under the slider. But the door needs to be open or the High Lift will bang into the door panel. It kinda looks like something is attached, but I think that's because Rick has RED sliders.

I'm glad everything worked out for you guys. I'm really pissed right now though, because the exact same thing happened to me last year at Gray Rock. DanKunz probably remembers it. Toyota didn't pay squat. The worst part was that after my diff blew and I rolled backwards down the hill, I bent a steering rod end, so I was hosed on both ends.

What's this about the bad batch of ring gears? Anyone know someone I can call or deal with to get that information? It's been almost a year, but it's worth a shot. I lost a lot of money on that deal.

What's this about the bad batch of ring gears? Anyone know someone I can call or deal with to get that information? It's been almost a year, but it's worth a shot. I lost a lot of money on that deal.

Nevermind, I followed the links and found the info. I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow. I hope I can fall asleep now :)

I remember ya at Gray Rock...that was a rough situation. I was all WHOA when you rolled into camp!!

Nevermind, I followed the links and found the info. I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow. I hope I can fall asleep now :)

The deal I heard recently (from a reputed source) was that dealerships have not been informed of this situation, ie no TSB. If a dealer gives you a hard time with warranty on the diff gears, then push them to contact Toyota Technical. Toyota Motor Corp is aware of an issue and will authorize the dealer to proceed. Dealers don't want to lose overhead on a warranty repair, and the authorization from TMC guarantees the shop will get paid.

Since you had the repair done a while ago and not under warranty, I'd certainly bring some of these posts (case studies) with you for leverage. I'm sure it won't be easy to get a reimbursement after the fact, but give 'em hell
:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom