Differentiating between J70, GX, VX, Prado, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Forward facing seats are much better for passengers in a frontal impact. Side facing seats damage spines and stomach tissue

Apologies if this post is a bit broad or basic. I’m a personal owner of a 1990 SWB J70 and this forum has been extremely helpful. I am increasing my responsibilities at work which will involve purchasing of vehicles and I wanted to learn more.

I work for a conservation organization in Tanzania and our work encompasses over 2,000km2 on unpaved roads. In the dry season roads vary from sandy to rocky with heavy corrugation on the main roads. Rainy season is muddy though not typically too slick. Much of our work actually takes us off road as well.

I’ve slowly shifted our fleet towards Landcruisers as opposed to Land Rovers, mainly due to the availability and price of spares. I don’t know the exact model names so I’ve attached pictures, we currently have:

1991 J70 Hardtop station wagon
1991 J70 Hardtop station wagon
2004 J70 hardtop station wagon
View attachment 2173113

1996 HZJ79 Station Wagon (safari)
View attachment 2173116

1995 Landcruiser GX
1997 Landcruiser GX
View attachment 2173117

2013 Landcruiser like a VX? It’s our “nice” car.

View attachment 2173118

All the cars do their job well except the newest model as it has too many electronics that are always being shaken loose, getting wet, or acting up.They all need constant maintenance with lots of bushing replacements, etc.

We see a lot of Toyota Surf and Prados on the market; are there any reasons why the J70s perform better or could I expect a similar performance? I’ve heard some people say the Prados aren’t good in the bush but don’t have first hand experience. Newer (2011 and on) J70 stations wagons are nearly triple the price of a 90s or early 00s model but if the body is solid on the early 90s one then it's not worth it to me, or am I missing something? it's tricky buying a car here in Tanzania and we don't have access to proper tools to assess engine health, etc.

I recently learned the post 2003 J70 stations wagons have coil springs in the front, which I think are much more comfortable. Does anyone else have any tips on the differences between those models or key features to look for among models of different years? I basically would like to educate myself a bit more as we are looking to grow our fleet and figured people here may have experience.

what is the actual model of that “96 79 series station wagon safari”?
I need one

what is the actual model of that “96 79 series station wagon safari”?

Its most likely a HZJ75. HZ means it has a 1HZ diesel but they also came with 1FZ making them a FZJ75
The J is for landcruiser and the 75 is a long wheelbase.
They were made from 90 to 99.
The 78 which is a post 99 troop carrier and the 79 series in the heavy duty models and has coil springs in the front. Most of these are diesel except in ME countries where the fuel is cheaper than water, almost. And the petrol models arte superior in sand dunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom