Differential and transfer case fluid change interval based on Toyota/Lexus recommendation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do we have any members that have not gone off road in their Toyota LC or Lexus LX 570 and have several hundred thousand miles on their differential fluid in their transfer case fluid with no problems this is what Toyota and Lexus recommends. Any proof that not changing it does not cause a problem?

My 200 series owners manual advises for "normal" driving 60K, for towing and/or off road every 30K...or every 2 years, whichever comes first.

Where do you see a Toyota/Lexus recommendation for NOT changing the fluids?? I'd add the transmission fluid too.

My 200 series owners manual advises for "normal" driving 60K, for towing and/or off road every 30K...or every 2 years, whichever comes first.

Where do you see a Toyota/Lexus recommendation for NOT changing the fluids?? I'd add the transmission fluid too.
My 2015 Lexus LX 570 owners manual states that if you don’t go off road or tow you never need to change the differential or transfer case fluid you do change the transmission fluid at 120,000 miles and you change the automatic height control fluid at 60,000 miles and you change the brake fluid every two years. My question is anyone who follows this recommendation did they have any problems

It's not expensive to change. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can do the rear diff. MScruiser has videos on how to do them. abhitchc I'm at about 60K and have changed all 3.

If you see how filthy the used gear oil is, I think you will agree it's worth changing the factory fills and cleaning the drain magnets.

So I guess nobody has had a problem that has never chanced differential fluid or transfer case as long as they didn’t drive off road or pull a trailer?

Chances are, if you stay away from water crossings and such, and never tow, that you could probably get away with never changing the diff fluid on these rigs in 100-200k miles. Who knows? There are sliding contacts points and bearings to lubricate in the differential. If you changed it once every 100k it would likely last forever.

My 2008 mall cruiser purchased from Aunt has never had these done - 159k miles. No issues. Still changing the fluids though as part of a baseline!

I have had 2013 lx for about a year. I purchased it from Florida at a bmw/mercedes dealership with 86,000 miles. The lx was serviced at the lexus of jacksonville. So, I added the vin number on lexus owners website. It showed service every 6,000 miles. The ahc was serviced at 60,000 miles. The differential, transfer case, and transmission fluid was not. I took the leap and purchased it.

So, having owned acuras i was bit concerned. Acuras mdx differential typically require fluid changed at about 10,000 to 15,000 for the first change then every 30,000 miles. Transmission fluid is every 30,000 miles with a drain & fill and transfer case is about the same.

I immediately had the transmission fluid exchanged.

I called all the lexus dealerships in my area. There are four of them. Not one of them used the 75 w toyota transfer case fluid.

I purchased the 75 w toyota transfer case fluid at (2) $58 a quart. I also purchased mobil one 75 x 90 differential fluid.

I also purchased the
GENUINE TOYOTA GASKET KIT FOR TRANSFER AND DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE

Amazon product ASIN B017V4BAXI
I used independent mechanic from this forum under my state. He has stated that fluid looked clean and no metal shavings. I asked him if there was any evidence if the fluids had been changed. He said no. He stated that Toyota has excellent quality control. My fluids didn't need replacing. He charged $57 for labor.

I just purchased a 2018 Land Cruiser with 34k miles. All highway, adult owner, southern truck, never off road. About as easy a life as it could have had. Given my OCD need to baseline any vehicle new to me, I did the front and rear diffs, T-case and of course an oil change. I was quite surprised at how discolored the front diff fluid was, and how much was on the magnet. Nothing worrisome at this mileage, but I would hate to have left that fluid in my diff for the life of the vehicle. T-Case and rear were pristine. Knowing what I know now, I probably would leave the T-case alone as the fluid is very expensive. But, even using Redline 75/85 for the diffs, it's still cheap insurance. I may wait 60k miles from here, as I know the history and any break-in wear from the factory is long gone and the fluids that experienced that break-in are gone as well.

Related as well, my truck had been faithfully serviced by the toyota dealer on time. Despite it allegedly being part the service visits, it was obvious that my driveshafts had never once been greased.

Finally, when it comes time to sell down the road, the extra effort on the maintenance front will pay off, at least on this forum.

I believe the manual says to inspect, but doesn't provide for a specific replacement schedule. So you probably won't get 500k miles out of your fluids if you actually replace it when inspection shows it's time.

I tow a lot so my mileage intervals don't apply to lightly used vehicles, but I've been doing fluids every 30k miles, including a full A/T exchange (not just the 3 quart pan swap recommended). Both diffs, transfer case, and transmission are about $750 at my dealer IIRC. Probably worth doing every ~120k at least as you'll easily spend multiple times that to rebuilds any one of those components

I got a couple issues where I live I can’t change it after I retired I got rid of most all my tools in Jacksonville I have nobody else but the dealer that would back up their work but I don’t trust the dealer with the transfer case fluid for sure since it’s a special Toyota fluid and they’ll use what they want and Lie to me and also it has to be filled with in 1/8” of plug level and I don’t trust them to fill it correctly. I drive about 10,000 miles a year got 40,000 on my LX I’m heading towards 71 YO, this fluid could outlive me. If anybody knows a quality mechanic in the Jacksonville Florida area please let me know.

I normally have all this done every 60,000 miles on my LX’s but I’m afraid Lexus will do more harm than not changing the fluid would do. Will probably do the differentials it’s hard for them to screw that one up

FWIW I brought my own fluids. You can source them on Amazon. If you don’t want the $80/quart 75W LF for the transfer case you can get 75W made by Ravenol which is listed as a replacement for the Toyota unicorn fluid and is like $10/quart.

My Toyota dealer has an A/T flush machine they use. You can search for service stations that have the BG Flush machine as well on their website. Or if you don’t tow or spend time in 4Lo just drive with the factory fluids - you’ll more than likely go 200-250k before any mechanical failures.

Bredemann Toyota in Park Ridge. I highly recommend for any regular work (maintenance or normal repairs). No complaints when I bring my own fluids or parts (including fitting 34" tires on my truck before I had a lift or had done any trimming), always able to fit me in, always thorough, and the work has always been done right (including the little things like properly torquing lug nuts and greasing the drive shaft at every oil change). They'll shuttle me to the train if I need to leave the truck just for the day, provide a courtesy loaner (typically a Highlander) whenever I need to leave it longer, take specific instructions and answer my questions via email, etc. Oil changes and tire rotations are the same or less than every other place ($60 and $20 for the LC), though normal labor rates are typical dealer rates for the area I think. For the A/T flush I specifically asked if they drain and refill the pan and circulate fluids and was told no they have a machine which does it.

Grossinger on the other hand I would avoid like the plague.

If you want someone to do aftermarket work specifically (lift, gears, bumpers, Magnuson supercharger, etc) I would go to Chi-Town 4x4. I also highly recommend working with those guys (Rick and Justin were both great to deal with on my Trail Tailor bumper install last summer)

Giving my front and rear differentials for a change at Lexus dealer in Jacksonville next week figure that’s a hard one to screw up thinking the transfer case is good for at least 100,000 miles based on the fact that I drive Mall cruiser. Plus I can’t count on the Lexus dealer using the
Factory fill fluids

Plus I’m going to have them lube the driveshaft because I know they never lube the whole drive shaft at the indicated intervals because you have to eemove the skid plate in front so they never do that since They have to drop the skid plate to change my differential fluid I figure I can at least get the driveshaft completely lubed when I have them change the differential fluid Just an FYI from an owner of 9 previous LC/LX’s

My truck has 125k miles now, and has never been offroad (to amount to anything). But that’s about to change since i sold my 100.

I was just quoted $500 by my local dealer for front / rear and transfer case. Doubt i let them do the xfer case after reading this tho. Zero chance they know to use the special fluid. Will probably have them do diffs tho, figure it’s time.

Did front and rear differential fluid today at Lexus dealer $89 for front and $89 for the rear. Got Blackstone samples for both front and rear fluid. Rear fluid looked new. Front had a little lighter tan color but Clear. My LX570 has 43,000 miles on it almost all on road, except one mishap during a heavy rain/flooding storm where I ended up in the median front axle submerged in mud and water. This is the main reason that I changed the differential fluids. Looks like it wasn’t necessary.

Did they disclose what brand of fluid used?

Lexus dealerships close to me use Kendall for differentials. It is made by Phillips 66.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom