differential advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so the other day I pulled the rear diff cover off my 60 (83) to replace a leaky gasket and change the fluid and found that the weld the PO did (i think it's called a Lincoln locker) failed. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this whole realm of 4x4 and most the work that revolves around it.

Any how to get to the point the gears are pretty screwed up and I need to replace them. What should I know, and do I need special tools. Also while I have it apart and I'm buying new stuff I thought I may as well upgrade it since I'm pushing 33's. What do you guys recomend as far as gearing?

Thanks in advance. anything you know helps, like I said I know pretty much nothing about diffs.:frown:

Ok so the other day I pulled the rear diff cover off my 60 (83) to replace a leaky gasket and change the fluid and found that the weld the PO did (i think it's called a Lincoln locker) failed. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this whole realm of 4x4 and most the work that revolves around it.

Any how to get to the point the gears are pretty screwed up and I need to replace them. What should I know, and do I need special tools. Also while I have it apart and I'm buying new stuff I thought I may as well upgrade it since I'm pushing 33's. What do you guys recomend as far as gearing?

Thanks in advance. anything you know helps, like I said I know pretty much nothing about diffs.:frown:

How do you know it failed? Post a pic if you have the chance, count the teeth on your ring and pinion to find out your current gearing and to see if it's stock.

What are you going to use this truck for? I live in CA and 90% of my driving is on the highway getting to my camping spot, etc. Unless this truck is going to be a dedicated rock crawler, I wound not want to have a welded rear differential. The welded diff will effect how the truck handles on the street and may even be dangerous.

With 33" tires, I would look into getting a set of 4.11 gears, such as those out of an F62. This will lower your gear ratio and bring you a little bit closer to stock, but still be higher than stock to give you lower RPM's on the freeway. Search through the parting out section for an FJ62 with complete "third members" available. These will bolt on in place of your existing third members. If you do change gear ratio's, you will need two, one for the front and one for the rear.

Roughly where in CA are you? A second opinion might be a good idea before spending money.

If the PO only welded up the spider gears and didn't screw up the carrier, you should be able to replace just those parts. Thats the cheapest way out if possible. Re gearing is a whole different issue with tons of opinions, start researching before commiting.

But listen to ntsqd, get a second opinion before you spend a dime unless that dime is on a second opinion from a mechanic you trust.

Tony

Well I know it failed because I can see where they were welded together and the teeth (3-4) were pretty screwed up, the other problem is with all the metal fregments that I pulled out, about half a handful or so, other components got messed up grinding the stuff around.

I honestly am not sure how much wheeling I'm going to do. But in all honesty it's probably going to be a commuter that I mob around the land where I am and my friend has a pretty build 85 4runner that I would like to do some trail riding with. I was thinking 4.11 gearing anyhow and I think the 62 idea is really good idea. Thanks...

I'm from the central coast, kinda by san luis.

I'll try to post a pic but seeing as I have no camera anymore at the moment this may be difficult.

This picture is kinda crappy I took it with an old phone but thats like a size 14mm wrench I believe. It's actually more than it looks.
parts.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom