diff. pinion shaft PIN snapped! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a special tool to help "guide in" an easy out for this. It seems pretty hopeless going freehand. I can't get a good angle to get at it, and I think I've screwed the treads up already.

Other solutions would be appreciated. I'm thinking of torching the pinion shaft out and buying a used one. Thoughts?

I have used a magnetic pick up tool before, Just a little one that colapses down and would fit in a pocket protector.

But then again, I have never had a problem with the shaft or the threads.

If needed i have a spare 3rd complete, ready to ship. Pinion shaft in, Gears good. out of a 75 FJ 40. 50 bucks plus the ride.

I actually had the actual shaft break in mine. Well, it was broken when I bought the truck. Busted into 3 pieces. I had a new 3rd waiting to go in but couldn't get the shaft out to pull the c-clips. Wound up cutting the carrier in half to get it out. Took forever with a die grinder. Can you drill the bolt out? I think even if you could it would be pretty tough going.

Tack weld or "stick" a short piece of 7018 welding rod onto the remains of the pin (eg momentarily energize it with your welder or 2 car batteries in series for 1-2 sec). Then you can use the rod to turn it and pull it out.

There was another of these recently - like less than a month ago. Might be something useful in the thread if you search it out.

Thanks for the input. Gonna try the weld idea (Brilliant!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom