diff. pinion shaft PIN snapped!

Is there a special tool to help "guide in" an easy out for this. It seems pretty hopeless going freehand. I can't get a good angle to get at it, and I think I've screwed the treads up already.

Other solutions would be appreciated. I'm thinking of torching the pinion shaft out and buying a used one. Thoughts?

I have used a magnetic pick up tool before, Just a little one that colapses down and would fit in a pocket protector.

But then again, I have never had a problem with the shaft or the threads.

If needed i have a spare 3rd complete, ready to ship. Pinion shaft in, Gears good. out of a 75 FJ 40. 50 bucks plus the ride.

I actually had the actual shaft break in mine. Well, it was broken when I bought the truck. Busted into 3 pieces. I had a new 3rd waiting to go in but couldn't get the shaft out to pull the c-clips. Wound up cutting the carrier in half to get it out. Took forever with a die grinder. Can you drill the bolt out? I think even if you could it would be pretty tough going.

Pin_Head

Tack weld or "stick" a short piece of 7018 welding rod onto the remains of the pin (eg momentarily energize it with your welder or 2 car batteries in series for 1-2 sec). Then you can use the rod to turn it and pull it out.

honk

There was another of these recently - like less than a month ago. Might be something useful in the thread if you search it out.

Top Bottom