Diff Lock/VSC, when to disengage VSC for snow/ice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to do a search but everything that comes up is about the VSC light malfunction. What I am wondering is what are the recommendations/guidelines for when to turn on the diff lock or off (for example on ice or snow)?
The way I have been using it is to just drive in normal mode on wet roads and even in some snow where it is sanded or pretty good. Once I am at slower speeds on icy/slippery surfaces or deeper snow, then I click the diff lock button. Is that what everybody is doing? Here is what the manual says...

"H" (high speed position, center differential unlocked):
Lever at "H", center differential lock button left out
Use this for normal driving on all types of roads, from dry
hard-surfaced roads to wet, icy or snow-covered roads. This
position gives greater economy, quietest ride, least wear and
better vehicle control.

"H" (high speed position, center differential locked): Lever
at "H", center differential lock button pushed in
Use this for greater traction when you experience a loss of
power, such as wheel slipping, in the center differential unlock
mode.

"L" (low speed position, center differential unlocked):
Lever at "L", center differential lock button left out
Use this for maximum power and traction. Use this for climbing
or descending steep hills, off-road driving, and hard pulling in
sand or mud.
In this mode, the braking feeling that occurs when the wheels
are negotiating a sharp corner is further reduced than in the "L"
(low position, center differential locked) mode.
"L" (low speed position, center differential locked): Lever
at "L", center differential lock button pushed in
Use this for maximum power and traction. Use this for hard
pulling in situations the vehicle cannot negotiate even in the "L"
(low speed position, center differential unlocked) mode. Also,
using this mode when driving down steep off-road inclines will

help contribute to increased vehicle stability.

I rarely lock the center diff in normal driving, regardless of weather. If I'm on a trail I may or may not preemptively lock it, depending on the terrain. If you start seeing any wheelspin it may be worth locking, but generally the full time 4WD system will manage daily driving conditions perfectly fine.

The way I have been using it is to just drive in normal mode on wet roads and even in some snow where it is sanded or pretty good. Once I am at slower speeds on icy/slippery surfaces or deeper snow, then I click the diff lock button. Is that what everybody is doing?
^This is pretty much how I drove my non-AWD 4x4s (Jeeps/Tacoma).

I have yet to lock the center diff on my GX in the snow because the AWD and weight of the vehicle have been more than enough to keep me moving forward. Granted, I haven't had it in crazy deep stuff, but it's handled 5"-6" of unplowed snow and tons of slush with no problems. I don't think I've ever used 4Lo in any vehicle on-road other than when I tried to teach my wife how to drive a manual in my old Jeep (tried ;)).

Unfortunately, our trucks don't have VSC Off buttons like my Tacoma did or I would definitely turn that off in the snow, for fun if nothing else.

appreciate the feedback... I just was curious, but probably a good topic this time of year

If you want positive control of the vehicle in slippery situations, then lock the CDL. I wouldn’t recommend it for wet or normal driving conditions but when you need momentum it’s helpful. For example, my driveway is rather steep with 2 90 deg turns and and one switchback. If it is snow covered, I can’t get up the dwy w/ out locking the CDL. I break traction on the first two turns, traction control kicks in and I’m unable to make the final switchback. With the CDL locked, VSC is disabled allowing wheel spin, therefore allowing me to maintain momentum and make it to the top. If I’m on “flat” ground, I let the traction control work as it is faster and often times smarter than the driver. Only use lowrange when off-road. LO & Locked will allow A-TRAC to work when crawling. Doesn’t do much for snow to be honest and is almost counterintuitive to what you need, but is perfect for crawling over obstacles when off camber.

I have an 03 so I use my CDL more as i don't have the RSCA off button. I have been in pretty nutty offroad scenarios and the bags don't seem to pop when the CDL is active on mine (so far!). I am going to start pulling the airbag fuse when I wheel from now on though. I don't need an airbag to the face lol

I did not know that the VSC turned off with CDL. Good to know :cheers:

I don't know if that is true with trucks with RSCA (or even mine without the button) but I haven't had a problem with the CDL locked and having airbags go off so shrug

As far as I can tell on mine. CDL disables VSC but I have a button for RSCA. My 07 FJC disabled RSCA when 4WD was engaged but it didn't have the button. Just one more thing to remember!

You need to lock it when pulling out into traffic with snow or ice or it'll shut you down and get you wrecked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom