Diff breather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to check my rear diff breather, to see if it was plugged again, it wasn't.
But a several drops of water came out of the hose.

I extended my front breather hose up to the brake master cylinder and used a small inline fuel filter, from a small engine, to keep the bugs out.

Is there any reason to use the factory breathers if you extend them up out of waters way?
The semi breathers are just open hoses with no end on the hose to keep stuff out.

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=10044;start=msg89289#msg89289 date=1073961205]
Went to check my rear diff breather, to see if it was plugged again, it wasn't.
But a several drops of water came out of the hose.

I extended my front breather hose up to the brake master cylinder and used a small inline fuel filter, from a small engine, to keep the bugs out.[/quote]

I did the exact same same thing on my Chevy the breather tube was in the wheel well where a lot of dust mud and water could be thrown up by the tire, I extended the tube up to near the master cylinder and put on an in line filter, I have read several threads about water in the diffs and nobody mentioned relocating the breathers, I am surprised that this is the first it has came up since I have been here, are they already in a good place from the factory on an 80? maybe it is just a wet east coast thing?

Is there any reason to use the factory breathers if you extend them up out of waters way?
The semi breathers are just open hoses with no end on the hose to keep stuff out.

if an 80 is the same as standard breathers it uses gravity to keep water out, it would have to travel up the inside of the cap to get to the opening, of course this only works on splashed water not immersion

if you expect to get water splashed near your master cylinder (deep water crossing??? better have a snorkel) you should probably put something on the end similar to the factory breather or arrange the tube in an arch the opening facing down to drain any water that does get splashed into the tube

pic of filter

[quote author=raventai link=board=2;threadid=10044;start=msg89367#msg89367 date=1073966842]
if an 80 is the same as standard breathers it uses gravity to keep water out[/quote]

rtai - the 80's have a flap valve breather.

Sorry Landtoy, still have not extended my breathers. I would think your filter is fine and is most likely preferred over the flap. Some day I will get to this. :-\

Landtoy,

That's the recommended mod - I've done this on my front breather partly for protection, but mainly to eliminate that pesky flap breather. I think the flap thingy did its job a little too well, and caused a vacuum to form on each heat/cool cycle - helping draw gear oil in past the axle seals. Also, rtai - the 80 diffs already have extended breathers up off the diff, so they'll protect better than just a splash. I'm assuming you're referring to the metal cap style that's directly on the diff of many vehicles.

At any rate, this is a good mod and the filter is a bit of overkill, but that's what 80 ownership is all about!

DougM

raventi

The diff breather extension procedure has been covered in depth.

See This thread for the detailed procedure with pictures, and this thread for follow up questions and information.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom