Diesel fuel and oil ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What fuel additive and type of oil do you use in your diesel ?
The LC is a 1993 PZJ 75 series and due to periodic travelling; the truck sits for several months at a time before it is driven again. I do have a family member start the engine and run it for 30 minutes to keep oil, water and fuel circulated.
My question is.... do you recommend adding anything to the diesel fuel such as Stabil, and what oil do you recommend ? The vehicle is parked at my home in the Philippines.
The last time I drove the truck I had the cooling system serviced where the radiator was removed and flushed along with the cooling system flushed and filled with Toyota red coolant. The radiator hoses were also replaced ...
I have been considering the use of Rotella 15W-40 oil which a friend in the US swears by.... All the reports I have read about this oil have provided great reviews.
Any recommendations or opinions are welcome. Thanks....

he truck sits for several months at a time before it is driven again. I do have a family member start the engine and run it for 30 minutes to keep oil, water and fuel circulated.

I dont think there are any benefits in doing that unless its started and taken for a proper 30 minute drive. Just idling an engine is not good for them. I would disconnect the battery and let it sit till you come home.

Unless the local fuel is rubbish I wouldn't bother with additives. Ive seen too many diesels clock up 500000-1000000 klms without them,
In Australia , most owners use 20w/50 to cope with summer temps but 15w/40 should be fine.

Brands dont matter, just use a quality known brand , Shell, BP , Mobil etc
People might swear by a brand of oil , but if they used another brand they would probably swear by that as well. I cant recall anyone ever saying "this oil killed my engine"
You would need to do controlled tests on dozens of same engines , under the same conditions to discern any difference in wear based on oil quality. Think about it.

I dont think there are any benefits in doing that unless its started and taken for a proper 30 minute drive. Just idling an engine is not good for them. I would disconnect the battery and let it sit till you come home.

Unless the local fuel is rubbish I wouldn't bother with additives. Ive seen too many diesels clock up 500000-1000000 klms without them,
In Australia , most owners use 20w/50 to cope with summer temps but 15w/40 should be fine.

Brands dont matter, just use a quality known brand , Shell, BP , Mobil etc
People might swear by a brand of oil , but if they used another brand they would probably swear by that as well. I cant recall anyone ever saying "this oil killed my engine"
You would need to do controlled tests on dozens of same engines , under the same conditions to discern any difference in wear based on oil quality. Think about it.

Rosco,

Thanks for your reply....
I would rather not have my relatives drive my truck; so starting it up is my only alternative.
I agree on the use of a quality brand of oil; not really sure what brands are available, but I will find out.
The reason why I was looking at 15W/40; it is the most commonly available viscosity for what I should use.
The high humidity, the lack of quality fuel and prolonged inactivity is why I decided to try the Stabil fuel additive.

I have another diesel located in the tropics, and it sits 6-9 months at a time. It breaks my heart to let it sit like that, but I never use additives and it always starts right up every time. This has been the routine since 2014.

I pull the battery and put it on the trickle charger, and I top the fuel tank up to the very very top until I see diesel fuel in the filler neck. In a humid climate like the PI, you don’t want any room for potential condensation.

The car is also under carport which minimizes temp changes, somewhat.

Last edited:
I would rather not have my relatives drive my truck; so starting it up is my only alternative.

I can understand that, but they dont really need to be started. Idling from cold for 30 minute periods harms engines. They need to be brought to operating speed to clean off unburnt fuel .
I only drive my diesel once a month or so
And Dprio's advice about keeping the tank full is good. The algea dont live in the fuel, they live in the condensation at the top of tank. Good filtration can keep it away from your fuel injection. The 15w/40 will be ok

For many, many years I parked my BJ70 when I was out of country for 9 months each year. Never used fuel additives and never had an issue at all with fuel. Always disconnected the ground battery cable. Always topped off the tank before parking it long term. Have used Shell Rosella T6 synthetic oil for a decade with oil changes every 10,000km. The BJ now has 505,000km and running strong.

Thanks for all the information and recommendations...
Next time prior to leaving the PI I will make sure that the tank is filled and I will disconnect the ground lead.

You could also just leave your battery on a trickle charger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom