Builds Stormtroopy, a 2002 HZJ78 turned surf wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up this 2002 78 Series back in August of 2015. It was originally used as a work truck for a Panamanian electrition, then bought by a guy who flips vehicles, then by me. The guy who I bought it from did some minor repairs, a cheap spray job, and some rims and tires.

It's a non-turbo 1HZ, LHD that had 234,000 km on it. Here is how it looked when I took ownership of it.

IMG_0084.JPG

I will continue to post pics of and info of what I have done over the past year and a half.

Last edited:
First up on the list was to add a second battery, Blue Sea ARC w/switch, and Busmann breakers. I used tinned 4ga cable to tie it all together. I welded up the battery tray and installed it on the passengers side behind the airbox. Also installed two digital voltmeters to monitor the batteries.

IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0090.PNG

Last edited:
:cheers:

Knowing that Toyota keys can sometimes open other Toyotas, I switched out all the locks to Yale ones. The ignition key stayed the same as only the 3 doors and the gas door cylinders were swapped.
IMG_0091.PNG

Also sprayed undercoating in the wheel wells. I used SUR Antigrava, SUR is a major brand paint company in Central America, and was the only DIY undercoat I could find. I used a Shultz type spray gun to apply it.
IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

Rad! You already know I'm a fan of the stormtroopy.

If you were to do it over again would you put your second battery in the same spot? I am about to be doing the same thing but not sure about location yet so im curious.

Thanks!

Yes I would, I thought about remaking a double tray for the original spot, but I like the "spaciousness" of having them separate.

I like to know how my engine is running so I installed an Autometer tach, pyrometer, and mechanical oil pressure gauge. Pretty simple install, the tach has a sensor that in strapped to the alternator. The pyrometer has a sensor that inserts into the exhaust manifold, and the oil pressure gauge was plumbed onto the driver side of the engine just below the intake. I used a laser tach that uses reflective tape off the crank to calibrate the Autometer tach.
IMG_0047.JPG

Also used a strip of LED's from Superbright LED's mounted to the hood for nighttime checks and/or repairs. Attached with 3M tape and zip ties. Used a Carling waterproof switch located behind the ds headlight.

The chain in the pic is something I've been doing to all my vehicles since I was a teen. All it took was having my battery stolen out of a 64 Impala I used to have, been doing the chain mod ever since.

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

Front knuckle rebuild with new seals, bearings, rock rings, rotors and pads. I sourced the knuckle bearings and gaskets from Cruiser Outfitters, the no-leak wiper seals and Rock Rings from Trail Gear, and the rotors and pads from a local parts outfit in Chitre. Also replaced the drain and fill plugs with magnetic ones on both diffs, trans, and transfer case.

IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG

I love seeing fresh axle parts!

Those windows look great! Seems like the way to go for camping in the Troopy.

Very nice truck!:beer:

Thanks! In Pavones, CR (where I live most of the year) there is lots of dust from our dirt roads, and it always finds its way in the Troopy thru the sliders as well as the rear vents by the tail lights. Swapping the windows did the trick, I also took out the rear vents and sealed them with some aluminum plate and 3M sealant.
IMG_0074.JPG

Rouser,
Nice attention to detail!!! Who makes those nice trick gold battery terminal leads. I know you did't get those that the Novey or Do It Center. Mine are on their last leg. Need to source a pair of those.

Rouser,
Nice attention to detail!!! Who makes those nice trick gold battery terminal leads. I know you did't get those that the Novey or Do It Center. Mine are on their last leg. Need to source a pair of those.

Haha, you know how hard it is to source good stuff down here. I got them at Mr. Batteries in Bugba (between Paso Canoas and David)

cool build, I like the tattoo shop stickers too.

few questions:
where did you get the bulbs for the backup/size?
how dim is it inside with the privacy vinyl, I think i'd like to do that to my non tinted rear windows.

cool build, I like the tattoo shop stickers too.

few questions:
where did you get the bulbs for the backup/size?
how dim is it inside with the privacy vinyl, I think i'd like to do that to my non tinted rear windows.

The bulbs are from LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories | Super Bright LEDs they are 1156 size with 45 LED's per bulb. It seems they are no longer available from them though. You should search around on the site as there are many options available.

On the rear windows, they have tint on the inside and the perforated vinyl on the outside. You can not see in from the outside, but can definitely see out from inside. It's not bad and you get used to it quick. I only did this cause I wanted to wait to get the whole truck retinted in the states with quality film, so the privacy vinyl is only temporary.

The wired thing is that black privacy vinyl makes it easier to see inside as it cuts the glare from the glass. The white vinyl reflects light which makes it impossible to see inside.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom