diesel conversion in a '60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got a wild hair about converting the 2F in our '60 to a diesel or a turbo diesel: anyone have any ideas about what kind of diesel motor will fit into the engine bay and what else is involved in doing this? is this even possible, or am i smokin' crack here?

we've got a Canadian HF-55 5-speed tranny if that means anything, U.S. spec on everything else......

thanks for the 2¢,

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I have an HJ60. I can answer your questions. This depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

This can be done relatively easy.

What is your budget?

You can email me off list if you wish.

jt_bentzen@yahoo.com

Tom B :p

There are guys up here bringing Japanese takeout diesels in and they could easily set you up with turbo diesel power in your truck.

When I asked my mechanic the same question he said is was not worth the money you would save in gas and I already have a v8 in my 60. So while I'm sure it can be done, if you are doing it to save money with better mpg the payback is like 20 years.

Brad

engine swaps for econmomy never pay off unless your doing super high mileage. You'd swap because you engine needs replacing, or isn't doing what you want it to do, and a diesel has more desireable characteristics in certain situations, so it might be a more logical choice. Most of the toyota engines will fit with a big enough shoe horn. the 3b, 13bt are local to most areas with light jap trucks running around. And will fit with the right gearbox etc. The 2h, 1hd-t will fit cause they are native to the 60. So will the variants, the 1hz, 1pz (i spose) and the 1HD-ft. Could try slapping a 1HD-fte in there if you're a genius. You could also try for a 14BT or a 15BT if you have a MegaCruiser as a donor. Theres one in the showroom down the road from me, i could just whip down and part it out for you ;)

Any nice import will do it for the right price.

the 60 came with a 12ht here, direct injection factory turbo 2H, but do what I did with my 40, bang a big block in there and just drive the thing.... :D

Dogboy a lot of aussie guys put those 6.2 chev diesels.Some say they are unreliable,others swear by them.It is a relatively cheap performance upgrade if you get a good motor.

12Sep2003 (UTC -7)

Tangent to the subject, what's a more water-resistant engine: Chevy 6.2 turbo vs IHD-FT vs 1HZ ?

thanks in advance!

i cant imagine theres much difference as long as your going to be running them from cold before entering the water. But seeing as the 1HZ doesn't have the turbo and the associated plumbing, it'd be easier to check over before crossings. It'd also probably be a consideration as to which engine its easiest to remove the fan belt on too. That i dont know. 1HD-FT maybe, i'm pretty sure the 1HZ is tricky.

Put in a cummins :eek:

That has GOT to be one LOUD SOB!

Man, my HJ60 purs and is quiet.

I love that Cummins motor, but are they noisy.

TB

[quote author=Animal link=board=1;threadid=5186;start=msg40842#msg40842 date=1063462568]
Put in a cummins :eek:
[/quote]

Which one is that, the 4BT???

with regards to water, make sure the turbo housing isn't too hot

[quote author=Overlord link=board=1;threadid=5186;start=msg41302#msg41302 date=1063617401]
Which one is that, the 4BT???
[/quote]

It's the 6BTA out of a Dodge.

I'm also thinking thoughts on a chev conversion, 6.2 w/turbo or 6.5t mostly due to cost, power and lower noise levels over other diesels. does anyone know the dif. in waight between the two or if it'll even fit? Also wondering about the trany options- GM 5spd? or Ranger splitter to stock 4spd. i've read that the rangers are a bit noisy though. Any thoughts would be great

Didn't mean to jack the post

check out the thread "13bt into a fj60" in the international section. I'm just finishing the swap and that'll give you an idea of what's needed to be done.

also check g&s for their tech info
also check Andre's site on Diesel conversions http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/

-mike

It is definately a tough call.

I think the Chebby 6.5 would be the least costly diesel wise.

TB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom