Did I Poke the Bear (A440 Blues)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's also really hard to get a good read on the stick if you have just added ATF so check after you have been driving for a while and don't forget that between low and high on the dipstick is only one pint!

I hang my head in shame :crybaby:.
But I'm back to admit it! Yeah it was low fluid; I'm a real douche. After driving to work this morning, I checked it again with a nice, warm tranny and some better light. Even after the quart of Lucas treatment last night and the 1/2 qt of tranny fluid I added just for good measure, this morning I was just below the "cold" level mark (with warm fluid). And at the end of the day, it read 1/4" above the hot full mark (cold fluid). Go figure! I did check it before, both warm (in Neutral) and cold, and it looked good. But I guess it was an optical illusion :doh:. With the proper amount of fluid the old mule is running like a champ again. I'm embarrassed as hell, but maybe somebody else with learn from it??? At least I feel better when I tell myself that. Thanks again guys!

Matt

Don't sweat it man. It's not like you are the first one of us to do something dumb. It's always fun when somebody gets to the bottom of a problem, even if it was an oversight. And thanks for adding closure to the thread. It'll help somebody else down the road.

It's also really hard to get a good read on the stick if you have just added ATF so check after you have been driving for a while and don't forget that between low and high on the dipstick is only one pint!

Because it's so hard to read the dipstick after pouring atf down the tube, I now connect a length of clear tubing to the inbound side of the return line to fill from.

Bill

Haha, no big deal Matt! At least you have this excellent resource to learn from and to top that I've done much dumber things, so don't worry about it.

No shame in getting smarter so don't hang your head. Another thing to remember besides being sure the transmission is well warmed up before checking fluid level is to go through the gears slowly before putting the shifter into park mode to ensure that all the fluid circuits are full so the reading is accurate.
I hang my head in shame :crybaby:.
But I'm back to admit it! Yeah it was low fluid; I'm a real douche. After driving to work this morning, I checked it again with a nice, warm tranny and some better light. Even after the quart of Lucas treatment last night and the 1/2 qt of tranny fluid I added just for good measure, this morning I was just below the "cold" level mark (with warm fluid). And at the end of the day, it read 1/4" above the hot full mark (cold fluid). Go figure! I did check it before, both warm (in Neutral) and cold, and it looked good. But I guess it was an optical illusion :doh:. With the proper amount of fluid the old mule is running like a champ again. I'm embarrassed as hell, but maybe somebody else with learn from it??? At least I feel better when I tell myself that. Thanks again guys!

Matt

You just earned your jr. tranny merit badge. :D

Yeah! Now I can put it on my sash next to the "front axle" merit badge! :hillbilly:

And overhanger: thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought about running it thru the gears also. All makes amazing sense in hindsight! But didn't come to me after a 10 hour day of doing an oil pan swap, trans service, and coolant flush. Now it runs like a new truck :steer:

What's your next project? :hillbilly:

Well, I've taken care of most of the pressing maintenance stuff for right now so I can get into a few fun things.

Johnny C (GLTHFJ60) is hooking my up with his 33x10.50 BFGs after he does his SOA in the next few weeks. Then I'll have some big boy tires :cool:. He's also giving me his 4sp tranny leftover from his H55 swap, but I'm probably not going to get to that right away(?). Need time/$ to russel up all the extemporaneous tranny swap parts. And I just got a couple bucks from a little electrical job on a friend's father's boat, so I'm either going to spend it on some tan Grizzly Grip to cover from the door line down or a set of AAL's and greasable shackles to be sure the tires will fit with my old springs. Leaning toward the suspension stuff...but I feel bad that she looks so ugly. Oh, and I'm getting a hand-me-down Warn winch from my buddy Larry who picked up a new one for his Jeep at EJS.

So it's looking like a busy, yet fairly inexpensive, summer for me and the 62. :banana:

When you get ready for the manual swap stuff, send me a PM. I am going from stick to auto so I have everything you'll need for your swap. I don't wanna make any money folks, I just love to sell Cruiser parts. Well I do wanna make a little money. But seriously, I got 2 manual shift parts trucks with all the necessary stuff

When you get ready for the manual swap stuff, send me a PM. I am going from stick to auto so I have everything you'll need for your swap. I don't wanna make any money folks, I just love to sell Cruiser parts. Well I do wanna make a little money. But seriously, I got 2 manual shift parts trucks with all the necessary stuff

Thanks dude! PM sent. My left leg really needs a workout :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom