detroit locker question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone notched the bearing or race cover ( not sure what its called) to get the allen head bolt out to get to the clips in the rear diff

ef3e7c0b.jpg

4e4fef9b.jpg

Are you talking about the bearing caps?
Just take the two bolts holding the bearing cap on and take out those socket head caps (allens)???

Yes but doesn't that mess with the set up after back lash was set

If your careful nd just pull the cap and leave the adjuster in place then just slide the cap back on and torque it, that's what I do with mine

If your careful nd just pull the cap and leave the adjuster in place then just slide the cap back on and torque it, that's what I do with mine
Yep thats what I did last time also, just was thinking on a way to remove the screw without messing with cap,

I dont have to pull mine all the way out. once it is loose i can spin it out with my fingers till it hits the bearing cap and thats enough to get the center pin out after I remove the 1 ring gear bolt in the way.

I dont have to pull mine all the way out. once it is loose i can spin it out with my fingers till it hits the bearing cap and thats enough to get the center pin out after I remove the 1 ring gear bolt in the way.
Ok I took mine out and cut a 1/4 in off and put back in and now I can unscrew it till it hits the bearing cap and still remove the pin , NICE!

had this problem last week except i was installing and when i pulled the bearing cap to get the allen bolt out the adjuster for the side bearing came with it and the race for the bearing fell out...
so i had to get it re preloaded and the backlash set again...

so with a 1/4 inch of the allen bolt... does it still have enough in there to lock the center pin in.....

oh yea, mine threads in just fine.

i made a groove in my bearing cap with a die grinder and ground down the head of the allen bolt too

Last edited:
one of my p.o.'s ground a piece of it off, I'm assuming to be able to do this. I still just removed the 2 large bolts.
fj 002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom